That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

47 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Tele has no soul.

Which wasn't a category mentioned by James. If he'd said it was impossible for anyone *with a soul* to not love the movie, then maybe he had an argument. But he didn't, so Tele's lack of soul isn't really a problem.  For the record, I didn't love it either (it had a GREAT trailer, and it was fine or even slightly good as a movie but I'll give it no more than that. Its about my 5th favorite animated movie of the year so far), and as far as I know I have a soul but I haven't checked lately.

As for The Accountant, I actually kinda liked his portrayal of a high functioning autistic person. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd guess about 1/2 my friends in high school were on the autism spectrum (which was a while ago so that wasn't a thing in those days) and arguably the thing I was best at in high school was relating to autistic folks and acting as a social translator, as it were, with other folks. Not that my social skills are particularly impressive, but they were good enough and for whatever reason I really got how their brains worked. Its funny, but when I saw The Accountant (and The Social Network, for that matter) the strongest emotions I felt were nostalgia and missing high school friends I hadn't seen in a long time. To me, anyway, Affleck's performance wasn't perfect, but I thought it was good and the flaws were mostly story-driven.

However, I found his backstory not particularly well integrated into the rest of the story tonally. I loved the first half, plus the early part of his backstory. Those really went together well. I thought the second half of the movie was a little hard to swallow, and I thought the rest of his back-story along with his motivations were ridiculous. I mean, they were basically trying to shoe-horn in a super-hero/Jason Bourne-grade backstory to explain his competence, and it simply didn't make sense. I thought the second half of the movie was fun and they had some really good jokes, it just didn't really hold together believably.

As for the tongue-in-cheek part, I dunno, it was just a feeling I got from the humor as well as the very end. Without getting too spoilery, to anyone who has seen it, tell me the thought of the upcoming Justice League didn't cross your mind.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, James said:

Just watched The Secret Life of Pets and wow. I can understand why it was s huge. As an animal lover, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to love this movie. It is funny and batshit crazy at times. And the cat! Seriously, it's EXACTLY like my cat! I don't even remember the last time I had such a blast watching an animation. 

Zootopia was better when it comes to animals, in a different way, that's why it was even more successful :P Disney :shades:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The "animals" in Zootopia are totally humans through and through though. Pets' anthropomorphic animals did at least seem more animal-esque. 

Sure, but I like Zootopia's take on it, the whole mammals vs predators thing, it's very human and animal at the same time, giving us a hint about the kind of society we'd live in if civilization wasn't limited to humans.

Edited by Fullbuster

The problem with animal animations is that the only thing they can do properly is humor. I find it pretty funny that some flicks are noted for their heart. It's not like they can properly tackle social issues. It's more of a mockery of that, dumbed down so 5-6 yo don't get bored. If you want a movie about social issues, go watch a movie about social issues. The reason Illumination is so incredibly successful is that what you see is what you get: a comedy both adults and kids can laugh at. I don't find anything wrong with that. And it seems to be working very well for them. If Sing meets most prediction around here, they will have two 600m+ animations and two new massive franchises in one year.

Also, the reason why Zootopia made more than Pets WW is because Disney is more of a brand in Asia. Illumination has time to grow.  

32 minutes ago, James said:

The problem with animal animations is that the only thing they can do properly is humor. I find it pretty funny that some flicks are noted for their heart. It's not like they can properly tackle social issues. It's more of a mockery of that, dumbed down so 5-6 yo don't get bored. If you want a movie about social issues, go watch a movie about social issues.

Uhh...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm_(1954_film)?

I mean, it's satire, but it's a very much tackling social issues all the same. Allegory is a powerful rhetorical tool and talking animals are really good at allegory.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus Which could be an amazing animated film, but also wouldn't be humor.

• Like 7

Just now, DamienRoc said:

Uhh...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm_(1954_film)?

I mean, it's satire, but it's a very much tackling social issues all the same. Allegory is a powerful rhetorical tool and talking animals are really good at allegory.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus Which could be an amazing animated film, but also wouldn't be humor.

I fully agree with you on Animal Farm. But that was, as Wiki says, an adult oriented movie. I should have mentioned that in my comment. I am referring to the 99.9% of Hollywood animations. My post was in response to Disney (and Zootopia), particularly. I know animation can be a medium for tackling serious issues (look at Japan and it's animes), but not kids movies. 

25 minutes ago, James said:

I fully agree with you on Animal Farm. But that was, as Wiki says, an adult oriented movie. I should have mentioned that in my comment. I am referring to the 99.9% of Hollywood animations. My post was in response to Disney (and Zootopia), particularly. I know animation can be a medium for tackling serious issues (look at Japan and it's animes), but not kids movies. 

Zootopia is doing it very well, and it's sending a powerful message to kids.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Just had a quake shake the house. Crazy!

do you mean an earth-quake shake? Not sure what you mean

If yes, I hope nothing happened...

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Rain Man is a really good film about autism, and there have been other films with autistic characters, but yeah I wish someone out there would make a film accurately describing autism. I'd certainly like if they did.

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape wasn't bad, but really none that I can think of, off the top of my head. A lot of the problems of autism portrayal in the media, is that autistic people are often portrayed as lacking in real emotion, which from my experience is just not true.

7 hours ago, robertman2 said:

Has there been any fictional media with accurate autistic characters?

I'd like to know that too. Even if there can not be 'A' realistic portrayal I think, too much differences IMHO

If yes, I might add that movie into my Media subject/course (term?)

As I work nowadays in a ~ special kind of school (Montessori), I have also contact to autistic pupils... and their parents.

Especially one mother is very angry about Rain Man in especial and other movies too. She says it was bad for the understanding of autism in the general population as it woke wrong expectations and so on.

In my school library (I am running it part time and owning it = it is literally my library) the pupils get time to skip through the books, ask questions,... including the autistic pupils = my impression:

they are all very different, no matter if it is about their interest or ability to connect to others (examples: one is quite the opposite, he befriends with ... everyone, can use his charm,... one is 'normal' on a first glance you will probably not realize something is 'other', one is a bit newer and does connect, but needs in between a bit time alone, probably too many new impressions at once)

All of them are able - and willing to show it too - to be happy, angry, stressed, bored,... and express that feeling.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, James said:

So... you're saying that animated kids movies, and, really, animated kids movies that specifically don't have any depth, aren't good at handling deep subjects?

You're literally saying that movies which do something badly, do that thing badly. I'm not sure why this would be a surprise.

Edited by Wrath

18 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Strange at or over $100m by Thursday dailies?

Second weekend domestic, $45m? $50m?

Anyone not feel like Dr. Strange will be knocking on the door(or past) of $150m after 10 days domestic?

$200m is a lock it seems.

Too optimistic 2nd weekend, IMHO

Around 40M is where I see it falling. Slightly over 50% drop.

200M DOM is guaranteed, though