kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

The Greatest Showman was shading critics, hard.

Hence the scathing reviews.

Audiences embraced The Greatest Showman.

Go figure.

Or not.

yeah that must be it. birdman had a worse version of the same riff and critics were all "yes daddy tear us apart"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

The Greatest Showman was shading critics, hard.

Hence the scathing reviews.

Audiences embraced The Greatest Showman.

Go figure.

Or not.

You thought that this movie that had a director swapped out during production, was produced by a band that wanted a PG rating and at one point wanted to kill Freddie mid-movie so they could get more limelight, was gonna be good?

It’s another tame, ‘friends and family’ produced biopic. That’s mostly been the case with these movies for years. 

Seriously read this stuff. 

And even in light of the massive talent Cohen wrangled for such a movie, nothing worked in getting the movie made. “They asked me to write the movie, but I said, ‘I don’t know how to write a biopic.’ So I got in Peter Morgan [‘The Queen’], [but] they didn’t like that. I brought in David Fincher who wanted to direct it, then Tom Hooper [‘The King’s Speech,’ ‘The Danish Girl‘] —they were very specific about how they wanted to do it. But at the end of the day, it really was an artistic difference.” 

https://www.indiewire.com/2016/03/sacha-baron-cohen-says-david-fincher-eyed-queen-biopic-producers-wanted-freddie-mercury-to-die-mid-movie-263717/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

You thought that this movie that had a director swapped out during production, was produced by a band that wanted a PG rating and at one point wanted to kill Freddie mid-movie so they could get more limelight, was gonna be good?

It’s another tame, ‘friends and family’ produced biopic. That’s mostly been the case with these movies for years. 

Seriously read this stuff. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2016/03/sacha-baron-cohen-says-david-fincher-eyed-queen-biopic-producers-wanted-freddie-mercury-to-die-mid-movie-263717/

They rejected motherfucking Fincher? Screw this movie. 

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Audiences could easily still like it. It should do well at the box office. Malek should still get an Oscar nom but the film will be snubbed outside of that nom. 

I doubt he's getting nominated at this point. In addition to the baggage the film carries, the fact he did none of the singing will be a big knock against him. Hopefully he'll continue to get good film work after this with Mr. Robot ending since he is very talented.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I doubt he's getting nominated at this point. In addition to the baggage the film carries, the fact he did none of the singing will be a big knock against him. Hopefully he'll continue to get good film work after this with Mr. Robot ending since he is very talented.

You’re acting like this is going to be a Razzie contender when it’s currently at 52% on RT (it was 57% two reviews ago).

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You’re acting like this is going to be a Razzie contender when it’s currently at 52% on RT (it was 57% two reviews ago).

lol it's at 50 on Metacritic, hardly Razzie material. The last Best Actor nominee for a film that low (or lower) was nearly 20 years ago (Sean Penn in I Am Sam). The odds are stacked against him, especially when he's not likely to hit the precursors beyond a Golden Globe nom (SAG won't go for his performance for the previously listed reasons).

Edited by filmlover

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol it's at 50 on Metacritic, hardly Razzie material. The last Best Actor nominee for a film that low (or lower) was nearly 20 years ago (Sean Penn in I Am Sam). The odds are stacked against him, especially when he's not likely to hit the precursors beyond a Golden Globe nom (SAG won't go for his performance for the previously listed reasons).

That didn’t stop Denzel last year with similar reviews (inb4 “BUT IT’S DENZEL”)

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That didn’t stop Denzel last year with similar reviews (inb4 “BUT IT’S DENZEL”)

Roman J. Israel, Esq. got a 58 on MC (or just a few points shy of a green score) which is a bit higher than what this film is looking to end up with. Also, his film didn't come from a controversial director (who is about to have a big exposé drop in the coming days).

Edited by filmlover

Yeah, shame on Malek for not trying to sing like the ultimate 

GOAT Voice and Singer,

which had everything :

unique tone, power, grace, feel, emotion, epicness.

Voice that could command a Stadium at will.

Bad Rami, bad, no Oscar nom for you.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The movie is competent I guess not worst of the year or anything but definitely kinda boring and bland. Every scene feels like it's been done better in another biopic. 

After Walk Hard pretty much used every biopic trope ever, I am surprised the screenwriters don't try harder to actually do something different instead of the same rise, fall and rise narrative.

43 minutes ago, grim22 said:

After Walk Hard pretty much used every biopic trope ever, I am surprised the screenwriters don't try harder to actually do something different instead of the same rise, fall and rise narrative.

First Man was rise, rise, rise.

Even more boring & cliché & déjà vu.

If there s nothing tragic in your biopic, why bother ?

You can't reinvent how life works I am afraid.

You go from point A ( a nobody) to point B ( the reason they made a movie  a bout you)

It  s not rocket science.

This constant criticism of biopics with the same arguments  always amused me because the structure of any movie is the same yet people never point out it s always the same, bizarely they do it more on biopics.