kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

14 hours ago, AJG said:

Movie is dull as hell. Features every single biopic trope under the sun (the moment of musical inspiration quickly followed by full performance of the whole song trope is repeated about 4 times).

The focus of the movie is Freddie, the rest of the band get to be perfect little angels in the background (which I'm sure they demanded as producers and rights holders). Freddies story is the standard rise-fall-redemption arc. No real exploration of sexuality, drug use, disease, and mental health. 

The movie is afraid to take any real risk (maybe out of respect). The most novice Queen fan will learn nothing new, and the most hard-core Queen fan will be able to point out the made up parts almost instantly.  

Overall it's still a cohesive nice-looking film with great sound and concert sequences. Old people will get a kick out of it. The movie feels 'safe in the same way NCIS feels 'safe': all the topics they'll expect are present but presented in such little detail they won't feel uncomfortable.

Honestly you'll have a better time seeing this on the big screen then waiting for home release. If I saw this on TV I probably wouldn't be able to finish it.

It's a shame but I'm not mad at it or anything. It's not All Eyez On Me level garbage.

Thats dissapointing.

I saw ASIB the other day and felt the same in that it was a dull movie.

I'm still going to see it midweek, the saving grace is that, at least I know the music is going to be good in this one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AJG said:

Movie is dull as hell. Features every single biopic trope under the sun (the moment of musical inspiration quickly followed by full performance of the whole song trope is repeated about 4 times).

The focus of the movie is Freddie, the rest of the band get to be perfect little angels in the background (which I'm sure they demanded as producers and rights holders). Freddies story is the standard rise-fall-redemption arc. No real exploration of sexuality, drug use, disease, and mental health. 

The movie is afraid to take any real risk (maybe out of respect). The most novice Queen fan will learn nothing new, and the most hard-core Queen fan will be able to point out the made up parts almost instantly.  

Overall it's still a cohesive nice-looking film with great sound and concert sequences. Old people will get a kick out of it. The movie feels 'safe in the same way NCIS feels 'safe': all the topics they'll expect are present but presented in such little detail they won't feel uncomfortable.

Honestly you'll have a better time seeing this on the big screen then waiting for home release. If I saw this on TV I probably wouldn't be able to finish it.

It's a shame but I'm not mad at it or anything. It's not All Eyez On Me level garbage.

But then again that s not how audiences look at biopics, they don't give a damn about ANY of what you re saying here.

It s even the other way around, audiences like BR because all the tropes are there.

I would argue the ending is bold, finnishing the movie with a 15-20 minutes concert

Not sure I ve seen that before and that ending is a fantastic tribute to Freddie and his GOAT voice and unique stage presence.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

But then again that s not how audiences look at biopics, they don't give a damn about ANY of what you re saying here.

It s even the other way around, audiences like BR because all the tropes are there.

I would argue the ending is bold, finnishing the movie with a 15-20 minutes concert

Not sure I ve seen that before and that ending is a fantastic tribute to Freddie and his GOAT voice and unique stage presence.

How bold is it to finish it on Queen's seminal performance?  

The only bold thing was the audacious ham fisted re-write of history to make that performance even weightier

Spoiler

by re-writing when Mercury found out he had AIDS.

Edited by TalismanRing

Why people are acting like Biopics are the only movies with tropes ?

Weird.

From your random Sundance movie to Avengers IW, they all have ones you know and you whine less about them.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

sick of seeing people complain how the film didn't explore the bad side of Freddie's personal life. it's called Bohemien Rapsody, not the Freddie show. People want to see how one of the biggest bands of all time came about with some great performances and this movie delivers. why has there always got to be someone who wants a darker time at the cinema? 

the WOM this movie is having just highlights how y'all don't know what the fuck you're talking about 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jessie said:

sick of seeing people complain how the film didn't explore the bad side of Freddie's personal life. it's called Bohemien Rapsody, not the Freddie show. People want to see how one of the biggest bands of all time came about with some great performances and this movie delivers. why has there always got to be someone who wants a darker time at the cinema? 

the WOM this movie is having just highlights how y'all don't know what the fuck you're talking about 😂

Because some of us feel a movie that claims to be telling a true story should do just that;treat the subject as it was, warts and all.

I saw the movie;as a movie it is just OK;it,surprisingly owes a lot of the classic musical biopics of the 40's aND 50'S '"Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Rhapsody in Blue" in that it goes over the darker side very lightly.

The film is pretty good at most, but Malik as Freddy Mercuyy is incredible. He's like  Gary Oldman in "Darkest Hour" a very good performance in  biopic that is often pretty questionable historically.

This movie is getting pretty great WoM from movie goes, regardless of what you thought of it (I enjoyed it, for the most part). It will probably finish it's run with around $150-$175m

Which would make it easily the highest grossing LGBT themed film of all time. 

Edited by Kalo

On 11/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, dudalb said:

I think the movie has serious flaws, but that it handles Mercury'g gay romances the same way it's handles his straight rromances is one of the smarter decisions it makes.

The fact that there's 0 controversy on this movie (in this outrage era!!) after the movie opened shows how good they handled it, only praise from the audience. 

Of course, there were some trying to start the "slut shaming" outrage but it never had momentum and there was a lot of controversy prior to the movie (people wondering about straight-washing) but all of it cleared after people saw it.

It was good. Remi was great. 

As a gay guy, I think they handled it well. We’ll never know the details and we don’t need to. Glad so many Americans showed up to see it, surprisingly. 

The dodgy CGI live aid crowd was an unfortunate choice and especially to focus on them so much. 

Overall 3/5 I think. 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It was good. Remi was great. 

As a gay guy, I think they handled it well. We’ll never know the details and we don’t need to. Glad so many Americans showed up to see it, surprisingly. 

The dodgy CGI live aid crowd was an unfortunate choice and especially to focus on them so much. 

Overall 3/5 I think. 

Why is it surprising Americans showed up to see this?  Americans love Queen - I grew up with them & the guys I hung with knew he was gay & didn't care - it was Freddie - he was phenomenal.  Just saw it this afternoon - everyone with me enjoyed it.  Rami was fantastic.