kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

8 hours ago, Jessie said:

straight outta compton showed a load of thugs whining about having it tough because they were indeed thugs. I wouldn't call them musical artists because their music is pure shit. they should all be in prison imo

You lived in Compton during the 80s/90s. I'm sure you have a good idea of what it was like to be raised in that community.

Edited by ThePhasmid

9 hours ago, Jessie said:

straight outta compton showed a load of thugs whining about having it tough because they were indeed thugs. I wouldn't call them musical artists because their music is pure shit. they should all be in prison imo

Jesus someone needs to grow up. I'm def not the demo for NWA's music but you can't deny the impact it had on people who have been marginalized by a generally oppressive society. Clearly you haven't seen the movie, or even the trailer cause the line "our art is a reflection of our reality" is pretty heavily featured. So why just spew comments like that when you clearly have a narrow view of the world and haven't taken the time to look anywhere outside your small box

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gravestonedt said:

are there any songs on here that are looking at Academy Awards nominations?  

Did Straight Outta Compton feature any originals competing or just there?

Star is Born might be able to score 3-5 Academy Award nominations if all the other musicals flop with critics songs

I think all of the songs are Queen classics, and therefore ineligible for the the Oscars. A song has to be original and written for the movie to qualify.

• Like 1

Not getting a good critical reception.

Main criticism is that the film downplays the seamier aide of Mercury life.

I can't say I am surprised. Don't know how much the reviews will impact the box office, but I think, except for maybe a nominatin for Malik, it can forget about major awards.

This is getting universal praise from audiences in France, with a 4,5/5 rating on Alllociné.

It s getting trashed by french critics too, yay !

GA could't care less about cinephiles and critics debates about what biopics should be and should not be.

Bottom Line :

The King is dead, long live The Queen.

Edited by The Futurist

Starts with 93% RT audience score. Meanwhile Nutcracker down at 47% (although looking at some of the poor reviews some of them are a bunch of people saying it panders to SJW’s so I don’t know how legit that score actually is).

Great for BR though!

Oh No No No. Poor Catherina S

I want the nutcracker and the four realms will beat out bohemian rhapsody at the box office and for all or no grinch and wreck it Ralph sequel to the number one movies at the box office at all because that phony queer band movie this weekend! I want the nutcracker to be number one over bohemian rhapsody so bad or I will punish the nation for revenge!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

from Nutcracker audience reviews. well, this one went nuts and crack for sure. 

Movie is dull as hell. Features every single biopic trope under the sun (the moment of musical inspiration quickly followed by full performance of the whole song trope is repeated about 4 times).

The focus of the movie is Freddie, the rest of the band get to be perfect little angels in the background (which I'm sure they demanded as producers and rights holders). Freddies story is the standard rise-fall-redemption arc. No real exploration of sexuality, drug use, disease, and mental health. 

The movie is afraid to take any real risk (maybe out of respect). The most novice Queen fan will learn nothing new, and the most hard-core Queen fan will be able to point out the made up parts almost instantly.  

Overall it's still a cohesive nice-looking film with great sound and concert sequences. Old people will get a kick out of it. The movie feels 'safe in the same way NCIS feels 'safe': all the topics they'll expect are present but presented in such little detail they won't feel uncomfortable.

Honestly you'll have a better time seeing this on the big screen then waiting for home release. If I saw this on TV I probably wouldn't be able to finish it.

It's a shame but I'm not mad at it or anything. It's not All Eyez On Me level garbage.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:18 AM, The Futurist said:

The systematic whining on Biopics movies have become as cliché as the clichés they whine about.

Not sure what people want with these movies.

Celebrating Mercury & Queen's music is not gritty enough ?

One of the worst trend of our current social media age is all those poeple who whine about historical inacuracies ( they didn't include this or that or whatever ...) about historical and biopic movies.

They are movies, Geez.

You want History ?

Grab a book or subscirbe to the History Channel.

Im thinking my problem with biopics might be due to the how big a star the subject of the movie was. Movies like Notorious and Rhapsody centre on people whose stories are already laid out. Not only can I read about these artists in depth, but their story have already been so heavily publicised that it feels as if I know them even if I have little interest in the celebrity.

A recent biopic (bio-series?) I really enjoyed was BET’s “New Edition Story” (about the R&B group that spawned Bel Biv Devoe and Bobby Brown). It’s told across 3 TV movies. While it does feature its fair share of biopic cliches, I think the fact that so little of the stuff in the movie was publicly known as well as the fact that the overall length of the thing let us spend time and get to know each member of the group, played a huge factor in my enjoyment of it.