75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lmao I just saw that Shut In has a 0% score on RT and a 2.8 average. Disaster. Poor Watts and Tremblay.

its doing "okay" with reserved seating.  one showing had 66 seats reserved at $10 each so I take that as the peak.  $660 for the day would be something like 1.358M for Friday

Honestly, as long as Arrival is above $20 million, I'll be very happy; even mid-to-high-teens would be at least a minor victory. Hard sci-fi tends to be a hard sell, and Denis Villenue's previous mainstream wide releases - Prisoners and Sicario - were both excellent but difficult films that always suggested that Arrival was going to be a dense affair.

Billy Lynn seems doomed to a performance akin to The Walk - not coincidentally a TriStar 3D release from a renowned director. I'll still see it, though. More concerning is the fact that we're potentially looking at the first sub-$100 million opener in the top spot during the weekend before Thanksgiving since 2008.

Fantastic Beasts - $110 million

The Edge of Seventeen - $8 million

Bleed for This - $5.5 million 

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - $4 million 

Trolls could also be in second place a third week since Doctor Strange will likely drop 60-65% against FB. Don't know how well Arrival will hold.. it could drop 50% or it could drop 10% (if it adds 700-900 theaters next weekend)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Billy Lynn seems doomed to a performance akin to The Walk - not coincidentally a TriStar 3D release from a renowned director. I'll still see it, though. More concerning is the fact that we're potentially looking at the first sub-$100 million opener in the top spot during the weekend before Thanksgiving since 2008.

I think FB will just about cross the 100 barrier. Marketing is finally kicking in fully and the Potter fandom is getting re-energized here. The WW launch should be much bigger comparatively as well.

• Like 1

Trolls today at my theatre acted like a Saturday. 20M today.

Dr Strange 14.1M today. Hacksaw didn't get the rememberance day bump I was expecting (I think it actually hurt the film, had a few people go to strange today who actually said they want to see hacksaw but it would be to hard to do today). 6M today.

Here you can check out real time ARRIVAL audience opinions on twitter I created a keyword search for those who saw it: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...20was&src=typd

Around 20 opinion tweets are updated every 15 min or so.

Also letterbox ratings and reviews audience: http://letterboxd.com/film/arrival-2016/reviews/

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/

RT audience ratings (right handside): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016

Current rankings for ARRIVAL

8.6/10 IMDB - 8,300 viewers

4.2/5 Letterbox - 2,000 viewers

83% RT audience score - 22,000 viewers

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think FB will just about cross the 100 barrier. Marketing is finally kicking in fully and the Potter fandom is getting re-energized here. The WW launch should be much bigger comparatively as well.

I think looking at the recent Harry Potter movies in North America, that FB in North America will be highly front-loaded like they were b/c you known HP fans go out on the OW like crazy, and then I feel with Moana coming a huge drop. Overseas it should be better.

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Today I learned how full of shit Deadline is.

Yeah, Hacksaw Ridge is totally dropping 50% on Veterans Day weekend.  Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

More like you are cursed. Even if a movie manages solid opening weekend, its legs will be disappointing. 

15 hours ago, narniadis said:

So if Stranged topped 110m last night then it had a nearly 20% increase. Will be curious to see how the other films behaved. 

Also, I read BOMs weekend preview a little bit ago and it made my head spin. Does Brad seriously not know or realize WHY Thor 2 behaved the way it did and why Strange increased as much as it did on Tuesday?? He makes himself seem more like an idiot than normal with that article this weekend. 

Ouch. He's still getting used to the BO analysis gig. You have to remember that he was initially a critic, awards predictor and commentator on the general movie business before his website shut down. I was really surprised when BOM offered him the job, because I don't remember him tracking on Rope of Silicon. I thought he would let his opinions mask his analysis but so far he's done a great job in keeping his articles objective (unlike a former BOM employee whose name escapes me who just couldn't shut up about how he personally felt about the movie in his articles).

I don't blame BB for taking the job, especially at a time when he needed it. He's hardly the worst BOM-er and he's quick with the updates (unlike former BOM writers) so I'm cool with him.

• Like 1