75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

24 minutes ago, AStarWarsFan said:

Doctor Strange's drop is the best hold for a Marvel movie since Thor in May of 2011.

Did you mean WE or Friday?

Box Office: Scores Smallest MCU 2nd Friday Drop Ever, Falls 1% via by

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Gonna have to go see Arrival this morning by myself. I told my friends lets got to a matinee on saturday and they bought tickets to arc light hollywood which charges 16 bucks for a 10am show + parking. Thats what happens when your friends are 38 and give no fucks. Its playing at 5 theaters within 5 miles of my house for less than 9 dollars. Idk what the fuck is wrong with people and why they like Arclight so much. 

Arclight is okay, but it is owned by the Church... of Scientology. Can't go there in good conscience anymore.

Going to the Spectrum to watch Arrival later today.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm curious if Arrival will be another Revenant where we don't think the GA goes for it but they do. 

It's opening like the rest of the adult cinema  fare has been opening. Paramount tried to market it like a big sci-fi event ala Martian/Gravity and they probably realized it was not going to open to those numbers so they decided to do slower expansion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It's opening like the rest of the adult cinema  fare has been opening. Paramount tried to market it like a big sci-fi event ala Martian/Gravity and they probably realized it was not going to open to those numbers so they decided to do slower expansion.

No it isn't, it is opening well above as it has about 1,000 less theaters. If this opened in 3,200 theaters you would have had a mid-$30m opening.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

No it isn't, it is opening well above as it has about 1,000 less theaters. If this opened in 3,200 theaters you would have had a mid-$30m opening.  

Any idea if PAR. will expand it to more cinemas or that's it? I hope they do - or someone convinces them to!

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I was talking this to another forum member yesterday. Paramount dropped the ball. This could have opened with 30M. Paramount has been absolutely incompetent this year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I was talking this to another forum member yesterday. Paramount dropped the ball. This could have opened with 30M. Paramount has been absolutely incompetent this year.

Rumor has it that Transformers 5 will be debuting in only 1500 theaters.  Paramount says they're doing this to let word of mouth build for the grand masterpiece that is Transformers 5.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yup, pretty sure only 10 Cloverfield Lane was left unfucked by Paramount this year. Long past are the 2011's of the world where they had everything in their power (Transformers, Mission Impossible, Marvel, DreamWorks, JJ Abrams, etc.).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Rumor has it that Transformers 5 will be debuting in only 1500 theaters.  Paramount says they're doing this to let word of mouth build for the grand masterpiece that is Transformers 5.

TF5 cannot be fucked, that is the power of Bay Da Gawd. It will still do 100M OW even in one theater. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Paramount's release schedule is almost pathetically bad outside of this Oscar season. WWZ2 is not even going to make that date 

Movie Title (click to view) Date
Allied 11/23/16
Office Christmas Party 12/9/16
Silence (2016) 12/23/16
Fences 12/25/16
Monster Trucks 1/13/17
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage 1/20/17
Same Kind of Different as Me 2/3/17
Rings 2/3/17
God Particle 2/24/17
Ghost in the Shell (2017) 3/31/17
Untitled Paramount Event Horror Film in IMAX 4/28/17
Baywatch 5/19/17
World War Z 2 6/9/17
Transformers: The Last Knight 6/23/17
Friday the 13th (2016) 10/13/17
Downsizing 12/22/17
Sherlock Gnomes 1/12/18
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Billy Lynn did 56k on 2 screens. Probably 175k for the weekend. Expands slightly to 1100 screens next week. Guessing it opens to 4-5M next weekend. Big miss for Sony.

Well, it's their fault for giving a "wide" release of only 1100 + screens, it's doing very well this weekend PTA wise. 

14 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

I think the reason why Trolls number is lower is because some of the kid+family audiences went see the Arrival because when I went to one showing, a good amount of the audiences were surprisingly kid and family audiences, which is not the type of movie to attract them.

People I know want escapist fare this weekend.  That lets HR out.  I'm seeing Dr Strange, and probably won't see Arrival until next week. People on my time line on twitter are recommending it though, as a movie that will help you feel better about the universe and the Human Race.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Allied as potential counter programming for adults, and could play fine. Office Christmas Party should be a small hit. Silence, and Fences have award potential.January to maybe before God Particle is flopping season.