75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

i can't believe this is coming as a surprise to you all. the cast of this movie is a bunch of white 30+ year olds. they not only abandoned the young adult-ness of hp that made it (and twilight and thg and sw) so huge, but they also made it one of the least diverse movies in recent memory when the fandom has been increasingly calling for diversity and representation. of course people weren't going to be interested. i've been saying this since literally like a year and a half ago

and please this has nothing to do with doctor strange. marvel making yet another movie starring an adult white man with the exact same formula as their others, and it does well, shocking. the reason fb is doing poorly is because they abandoned their formula that worked well

and that's all without even taking into account that they then cast a domestic abuser

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Rogue one & $600m is happening people! LMAO.

Don't know how that's necessarily related? I mean, Dr. Strange has performed on the high end of expectations, so it's not like the BO is down. You should know that sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong.

If anything, this helps RO (IMO of course). One less big hit in front of it makes it that much more appealing.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 8

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Don't know how that's necessarily related? I mean, Dr. Strange has preformed on the high end of expectations, so it's not like the BO is down. You should know that sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong.

It's a major red flag towards massive RO expectations. Baumer's club is very much in play.

• Like 1

Welp, so much for Fant4stic Beasts and Fanta5tic Beasts. Sure as hell couldn't have called DOM under Strange tho, damn. But oh well, it's basically an original movie that belongs in a franchise, maybe it'll have better legs than other HP fare. Cursed Child is still gonna be a megahit when it comes out, tho.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

It's a major red flag towards massive RO expectations. Baumer's club is very much in play.

Could be. Personally, I've always said Baumer's club was possible. Guess what I'm saying is that you could read this as a tea leaf in whatever direction you think fits your preferred narrative.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It reeked and still does of Rowling not knowing how to edit herself, just like the last few Potter books, and hubris on the part of Warner Bros. I'd always hoped it went back to three. Three seemed manageable. And, hell, if it'd stayed three, maybe the first installment would've been more focused instead of fits and starts of brilliance but mostly a muddled mess.

"Mostly a muddled mess"

Again, I don't know what movie you saw. 

I respect your opinion 100%, but you are throwing it around as that being the general consensus. When it isn't whatsoever. 

This preview number is lower than I expected, but way too early to be judging WB's five film plan. If it ends up over $80 million for the weekend it will be just fine. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Yikes.  Pre-sales were a lot stronger than Dr. Strange and at least what I can see did great last night but across the country walk ups must have been extremely weak.  

Still will be a success overall, but wonder if this makes Warner Bros. do a double take.  

I expect a similar post from you once Rogue one opens to around 120 million LOL

• Like 4

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Could be. Personally, I've always said Baumer's club was possible. Guess what I'm saying is that you could read this as a tea leaf in whatever direction you think fits your preferred narrative.

exactly, it doesn't indicate anything in either way, but yes it's funny that one can take it in either direction on their preference though :P 

• Like 2