75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

1 minute ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

Moderation:

Please settle down. No need to insult.

Lol.  He called me out specifically in a post.  I hadn't mentioned or said anything to him.  He also called me out for no reason and is gloating like a fucking child over who knows what because he won't explain it.  

You want to tell someone to settle down, then you are talking to the wrong person.  Get it right next time or send me a PM if you want to discuss it further, but don't call me out publicly if you can't even get it right.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Spin off from a popular franchise that was hyped well beyond tracking. No similarities at all, got it.

One of them has Vader, Death Star, Stormtroopers, an ending directly tied to A New Hope, etc., not to mention its coming out a year after its franchise predecessor became the highest grossing movie ever DOM. The other has wands, a cameo, and a guy whose book briefly appears in one of the main movies, and came out with a far greater distance from its previous franchise entry. Big difference.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

So the Potter movieverse now has its Hobbit. 

Fantastic Beasts will make less than all three Hobbits. It's worldwide gross is not even guaranteed to top Hobbit's overseas gross

Edited by John Marston

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

THE PARKING LOT IS DEAD

I REPEAT, THE PARKING LOT IS DEAD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but are you in BKB's parking lot, because  that's the lot that tells all ;) 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 9

Just now, Nutella of Arabia said:

If R1 disappoints its core audience the same way this did (and, for that matter, THE HOBBIT did), then yes, of course Baumer's club becomes a likely success. But one new would-be franchise failing to meet expectations doesn't automatically translate to the same thing happening with another.

i got the impression that the hobbit movies connected with their core audience, and just didn't expand out to the ga as much as the lotr movies.

also rogue one doing under 450m is NOT disappointing its core audience

Lol.  He called me out specifically in a post.  I hadn't mentioned or said anything to him.  He also called me out for no reason and is gloating like a fucking child over who knows what because he won't explain it.  

You want to tell someone to settle down, then you are talking to the wrong person.  Get it right next time or send me a PM if you want to discuss it further, but don't call me out publicly if you can't even get it right.  

You've been basically trolling Baumer, myself and others in the RO under 450m, I'm not the only one to get annoyed by it.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No movie staring Darth Vader has ever made less than 500 m adjusted, so 300 m would be a disaster.

maybe now would be a good time to tell you rogue one doesn't star darth vader then

If R1 disappoints its core audience the same way this did (and, for that matter, THE HOBBIT did), then yes, of course Baumer's club becomes a likely success. But one new would-be franchise failing to meet expectations doesn't automatically translate to the same thing happening with another.

It doesn't automatically translate but to say it's a good or OK indicator is not looking at the facts and again this is a domestic discussion since we all know internationally they both were always going to do well.
  • Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with predicting well over or under on a film's opening. Even professional  analysts with access to tracking metrics are often way off. 

The issue as always is the "$90M+ is locked" posts that scoff at lower predictions (including all of the tracking this film has ever had). 

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 2

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

You've been basically trolling Baumer, myself and others in the RO under 450m, I'm not the only one to get annoyed by it.

I haven't been trolling any more than Baumer is trolling in that thread, but what again does that have to do with Fantastic Beasts and why you called me out today?

You can't even explain it.  Again, the only thing you and I ever discussed about Fantastic Beasts if you asked if it would bomb and I said no.  That's it.  So what are you talking about?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

One of them has Vader, Death Star, Stormtroopers, an ending directly tied to A New Hope, etc., not to mention its coming out a year after its franchise predecessor became the highest grossing movie ever DOM. The other has wands, a cameo, and a guy whose book briefly appears in one of the main movies, and came out with a far greater distance from its previous franchise entry. Big difference.

And people wonder why The Force Awakens repeated so much from A New Hope.

I present exhibit A:

Fantastic Beasts' Thursday preview numbers

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

You can do that with almost anything in life Jay. If you honestly think this number means NOTHING in forecasting RO, then I can't help you.

:rolleyes: It may not mean nothing. But saying it means something definitively one way or the other is a reach IMO.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Dude, you were abrasive first. People have different opinions, it's not a huge deal. Take it down a notch.

• Like 12