75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

I learned a long time ago that I enjoy movies more when I stick to my interests and rely on good advice from trusted friends. I have gradually expanded my tastes (some horror films are ok now, used to abhor them) particularly as I explore foreign films but I see no point in seeking out a film that objectively I am going to dislike.

But what do I know I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and Pixels back to back last night and enjoyed both (for different reasons). Eye in the Sky coming up tonight if I can finish my homework in time.

(And next week will be Beasts and Trolls / Moana with the kiddo)

• Like 3

It doesn't help that me (and a lot of other people here around my age) came of age during a pretty good time for blockbusters/franchises, when there was a lot of dreck, sure, but studios were more willing to consistently throw tons of money at filmmakers who got to keep their distinct voice - Jackson, Verbinski, Raimi, Nolan, Greengrass, the Wachowskis. Then those directors mostly flamed out, and it all turned to the direction of the cinematic universes where the execs can just hire whoever and it likely won't make much difference, and in most cases even if you like it you soon forget it. Whenever there's a Fury Road or a standalone Gravity/Martian type movie it always feels like some lucky accident that may not happen again. It shouldn't be that way.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

Just now, Nutella of Arabia said:

Pretty decent, although I hope for the sake of my winter game that it manages to go higher. 

Yeah 60 is a done deal.

I doubt it hits 70 though.

If Assassin Creed or Office Christmas Party flops and there are no surprise break outs I'd say HR has decent chance at the top 15 

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

It doesn't help that me (and a lot of other people here around my age) came of age during a pretty good time for blockbusters/franchises, when there was a lot of dreck, sure, but studios were more willing to consistently throw tons of money at filmmakers who got to keep their distinct voice - Jackson, Verbinski, Raimi, Nolan, Greengrass, the Wachowskis. Then it turned to the direction of the cinematic universes where the execs can just hire whoever and it likely won't make much difference, and in most cases even if you like it you soon forget it. Whenever there's a Fury Road or a standalone Gravity/Martian type movie it always feels like some lucky accident that may not happen again. It shouldn't be that way.

This is a great way to describe it. Even a movie like Iron Man (the first one) feels like it wouldn't happen much today.

• Like 1

Something else that really helped me develop my love of film and a broad range of film types under my watched list was utilizing Mojo's many lists. (Highest grossing, Award Nominated, Films by studio etc.)

Minus most of the 2016 "blockbusters" I have watched nearly every film making more than 90m in the US and most making at least 300m WW but then again, I have also watched a lot from Netflix's recommended lines based on my Criterion Collection likes lol.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Something else that really helped me develop my love of film and a broad range of film types under my watched list was utilizing Mojo's many lists. (Highest grossing, Award Nominated, Films by studio etc.)

Minus most of the 2016 "blockbusters" I have watched nearly every film making more than 90m in the US and most making at least 300m WW but then again, I have also watched a lot from Netflix's recommended lines based on my Criterion Collection likes lol.

I went with something like that + Sight & Sound.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It doesn't help that me (and a lot of other people here around my age) came of age during a pretty good time for blockbusters/franchises, when there was a lot of dreck, sure, but studios were more willing to consistently throw tons of money at filmmakers who got to keep their distinct voice - Jackson, Verbinski, Raimi, Nolan, Greengrass, the Wachowskis. Then it turned to the direction of the cinematic universes where the execs can just hire whoever and it likely won't make much difference, and in most cases even if you like it you soon forget it. Whenever there's a Fury Road or a standalone Gravity/Martian type movie it always feels like some lucky accident that may not happen again. It shouldn't be that way.

I'd say in general it hasn't been a great time to come of age as a cinephile. I mean sure, we have way more access to old movies than ever before and there have been some formative films (The Master, Spring Breakers and Holy Motors for me) but I still feel there's something missing. Even in the 90s you had movies like Pulp Fiction that caught the attention of a whole generation, that doesn't happen that much anymore. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Superhero movies and Star Wars are the only thing that warrants a movie ticket these days.

If the kids beg to see an animated movie, I'll take them.

Outside of that, I'll just buy critically acclaimed sci fi (Mad Max, Ex Machina) on blu ray then watch them for the first time at home.

Second that ...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2016 honestly might be the weakest year for films this decade. It's giving 2011 a run for its money, something I didn't think was even possible for the rest of this decade. 2017 has a lot to make up.

What?  There were a huge amount of good movies this year.  This awards season is going to be an embarrassment of riches.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Most of those directors ran out of creative juices eventually on their chosen franchise.

Sometimes it's best for a franchise to get whoever is hungry.

As far as the artsy or cerebral blockbusters, the fanboy stuff sells itself and easier to produce.

Something like Suicide Squad or BvS can get a rotten reception and globally outgross movies like Gravity and The Martian.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I learned a long time ago that I enjoy movies more when I stick to my interests and rely on good advice from trusted friends. I have gradually expanded my tastes (some horror films are ok now, used to abhor them) particularly as I explore foreign films but I see no point in seeking out a film that objectively I am going to dislike.

But what do I know I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and Pixels back to back last night and enjoyed both (for different reasons). Eye in the Sky coming up tonight if I can finish my homework in time.

(And next week will be Beasts and Trolls / Moana with the kiddo)

Pixels was definitely not as bad as it was made out to be.  Which for an Adam Sandler film these days is high praise

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2016 honestly might be the weakest year for films this decade. It's giving 2011 a run for its money, something I didn't think was even possible for the rest of this decade. 2017 has a lot to make up.

Where's all the interesting sci fi this year?