FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm aware of that film's production history. Beatty's ego and constant need to control everything were a huge part of why that's film production budget keep ballooning. I can see why he didn't do another role for 15 years because of it.

Beatty is well past his glory days, however I'm glad to see he didn't end his career with Town & Country.

That's true Town & Country was a big budget misfire that had a budget in 2001 dollars($90 million) and was WB's second big budget bomb in one weekend (the same weekend as the Stallone racing misfire Driven). But Rules Don't Apply's word of mouth so far isn't very good, so Beatty hasn't a "good" movie since Bullworth and before that was maybe Reds(Love Affair was mixed, and Bugsy/Dick Tracy weren't too bad but not like Reds).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

That's true Town & Country was a big budget misfire that had a budget in 2001 dollars($90 million) and was WB's second big budget bomb in one weekend (the same weekend as the Stallone racing misfire Driven). But Rules Don't Apply's word of mouth so far isn't very good, so Beatty hasn't a "good" movie since Bullworth and before that was maybe Reds(Love Affair was mixed, and Bugsy/Dick Tracy weren't too bad but not like Reds).

Town & Country was released by New Line back when they were still a standalone studio.

Sort of interesting to run down the Moana reviews on RT. The one rotten review is a 2.5 out of 4. And the review itself is certainly not overly critical. Almost wonder since the critic gets to choose whether their review is fresh or rotten if the critic simply chose rotten to be different.

They were 2 other critics that gave it 2.5 out of 4 but gave it a fresh rating. Also, a 3 out of 5 and a 7 out of 10 (Mendelssohn) that the critics picked fresh.

Not actually alot of 4/4 or 5/5 type reviews. A ton of 3/4, 4/5 type reviews though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It boggles my mind that the first thing he's done in 15 years looks so...inconsequential. But then the last time he was on-screen, it was the notorious bomb Town & Country (look up that movie's production history if you're bored, no joke), so...

Spending $105-$110 million on that film quite ballsy WB.... quite ballsy. :qotd:

$2.6 million Tuesday previews

$20.4 million Wednesday ($23 million official Wednesday #)

$15.5 million Thursday 

$32 million Friday

$30 million Saturday

$18 million Sunday 

$118.5 million 5-day might seem crazy, but a $25 million Wed and typical Thanksgiving week holds would give us $100 million+ 5-day. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Why do you do that to yourself man?

That one in particular was just for laughs. Other times I think something (might) be goo and that's good enough for me.

Idk about the future though. All this grad stuff I need to get some kinda restricts the time I get to spend at the movies.

• Like 1

Just now, Maxmoser3 said:

Spending $105-$110 million on that film quite ballsy WB.... quite ballsy. :qotd:

It didn't start out that way. It was originally a much more modestly budgeted comedy, that saw said budget spiral out of control due to various production problems (including poor test screenings, lost film, etc.).

Buddy of mine since grade 6 who got a job at the theatre asked if we are gonna get nocturnal animals.

Turns out he's a regular on BOM, which is really cool to find out but maybe he'd know that if a movie is super limited... our little market won't get it.

3 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

$15.5 million Thursday 

$32 million Friday

$30 million Saturday

$18 million Sunday 

$118.5 million 5-day might seem crazy, but a $25 million Wed and typical Thanksgiving week holds would give us $100 million+ 5-day. 

I like your ambition, your positive take, I like it, gutsy & all :shades:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

$15.5 million Thursday 

$32 million Friday

$30 million Saturday

$18 million Sunday 

I will be happy if Moana can do 85m 5-days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They were right to move it this time - that was a bad date or them,  almost as ad as the date they just had for Seventeen..

The Edge of Seventeen should've stayed in September, but it probably would've flopped no matter where it opened. The R rating killed it.

The Space Between Us has been having trailers in circulation since the beginning of summer (back when it was supposed to be an August release). Can't wait until it opens so I never have to see the trailers for it ever again.