FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

2 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I don't think I can give a top 10 just yet. There's so many feelings I have yet to see.

Same, plus I see no reason to post spoilers for my personal top X of the year thread I'll make on the 31st.

• Like 1

I like the fact that people still gather over there, celebrating together as family and friends, instead of going to the movies to make your kids shut up for once. 

I had a beer and watched Netflix -- all alone. But hey, we don't celebrate thxgivin so winny whiny from me. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Decided I'm actually going to apply to UBC hopefully for scholarship admission. Issue is the deadline is December 1st, so depending on how the application process goes, I may have to wait till sometime during the week to see Moana :(

If tonight is extremely productive than maybe tomorrow night I'll try to catch a show.

Good for you. There's no harm in getting the ball rolling and there's at least a chance of a lot to gain. Putting off seeing a movie for a few days is a small price to pay.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Remember how people were wringing their hands over how 2016 would have no $200m dom movies?

That's going to look really stupid a year from now.

It's still both absurd and telling that we had to wait more than 10 months to get even one.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Same, plus I see no reason to post spoilers for my personal top X of the year thread I'll make on the 31st.

My personal "Top X of 2016" isn't coming together in a satisfactory fashion and I think I've figured out why. My movie watching has been weird this year. I don't feel like I've seen fewer movies than usual (I probably average ~40/year in the cinema), but I've definitely seen fewer Indie/low-distribution+critically-acclaimed flicks and more popcorn movies. I think its that I've seen more movies with the kids and fewer with my wife than my usual ratio. My gut feeling is that at least part of the reason is that its been a banner year for high quality popcorn flicks.

That, and I really need to see Manchester by the Sea.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's still both absurd and telling that we had to wait more than 10 months to get even one.

Yeah, but we're going to end up with like 4 (well, maybe 3 since Moana's got a shot at $300M), so that's at least in the ballpark of normal. 

Its just that they're weirdly distributed this year.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

depends on where you stand on Jeremy Renner. I docked the movie a whole point because of him. Such non-entity. :)

I love Renner but I admit he doesn't have a whole lot to do in the movie.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

Just now, La Binoche said:

Who cares about Jeremy Renner? It's not his movie. He's just tagging along. 

That was the problem, IMO. They could have found a better tag-along. Especially since his role was useless save the twist and giving Adams someone to bounce off of. You need an actor with presence and chemistry with Adams to justify his presence. He didn't have either. I understand that it's Adams show as it should be but he was a poor choice, especially considering what choice she makes. He wasn't worth it. 

• Like 2