FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

i haven't seen arrival yet but i feel like renner's recent run has been a bit of a let down. his early indie stuff is strong culminating w/ great hurt locker perf but hollywood doesn't really know how to use him. whatever his thing is it's not action star.

• Like 1

I prefer actors who do not overshadow other... beside the very few exceptions the role asks for it.

I think far too many of the 'overshadowing' actors are famous / well respected / ... as an actor beside too often not even being able to play subtle. An actor who can not play subtle is not an exceptiona/very good actor IMHO, but 'only' a good actor.

Without the 'silent' ones to play against, they are usually not even that, I do not count playing themselfes or more or less one stereotype as good acting, but having a great agent or casting director.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i haven't seen arrival yet but i feel like renner's recent run has been a bit of a let down. his early indie stuff is strong culminating w/ great hurt locker perf but hollywood doesn't really know how to use him. whatever his thing is it's not action star.

Renner was easily the worst thing in Arrival. He isn't sure how to play the character, and he got some of the cringiest lines in the movie.

Just now, grim22 said:

Renner was easily the worst thing in Arrival. He isn't sure how to play the character, and he got some of the cringiest lines in the movie.

Come on now forest whitaker is automatically the worst thing about any movie he's in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

He might be second because Mackie is damn hard to take the top spot from

Spider-man, Ant-Man and Black Panther were the real stand outs to me.

Which was pure marketing for future movies from Marvel Studios but still...

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I prefer actors who do not overshadow other... beside the very few exceptions the role asks for it.

I think far too many of the 'overshadowing' actors are famous / well respected / ... as an actor beside too often not even being able to play subtle. An actor who can not play subtle is not an exceptiona/very good actor IMHO, but 'only' a good actor.

Without the 'silent' ones to play against, they are usually not even that, I do not count playing themselfes or more or less one stereotype as good acting, but having a great agent or casting director.

I find Leo to be like that, a great charisma that doesn't erase others from the screen, though that may be because he picks strong scripts that give everyone a chance to shine. Even when he's a clear lead (most movies save The Departed where he shared with Damon and Django where he was supporting, and 2 movies with Winslet), his movies are not Leo shows, because other actors stand out too.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

well, i'm the opposite. I like actors with strong screen presence, who own the role. not to be confused with overracting. but some actor's presence ...you just can't take your eyes off them. mybe that's why i don't like amy adams...she comes off weak on screen.

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Jeremy Renner is the most likeable actor in MCU?

He's wouldn't even make my top 5 in Civil War.

As short as his role is in it it is a bit difficult to surpass the others IMHO. ;)

No problems for not liking him... (I do) = peace

• Like 3