Cmasterclay

Precursors 2016! Winners and Nominations

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think since you made the initial claim that was more opening the floor to what you find so bad about Foster's performance. I did say i'm not as enamored as others are but he's good. i don't see how he stands out (other than as a character, where he's supposed to stick out, he's like the large red target on their back). I think he fits pretty well in the established world.

Fair point

I can't really go into specifics since I saw the movie in August, but I think he does really broad mannerisms and plays a *typical* crazy guy rather than doing anything unique with the character. Some of my frustration with the performance definitely has to do with the writing of his character too (which I think is broad compared to the rest of the script), but he just feels like a cartoon character in performance - like he's a normal guy trying to come off as crazy, rather than actually being crazy - compared to the other three which feel more lived in. 

24 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Instead of a basic quick response, please explain to me how either Pine, Bridges, or Birmingham are worse than Ben Foster. Foster gives by far the worst performance of those four and sticks out like a sour thumb compared to them

I think Foster was better than Bridges. Bridges other than the final 30 minutes was just doing a variation of Rooster Cogburn that he's done since 2010.

• Like 1

Best news with BFCA: HR is looking stronger each day.

Kind of surprised with Jackie missing BP in early precursors. Hidden Figures not showing in BP is also noticeable, but at least, it appeared as an Ensemble, and we know AMPAS are full of actors.

Of the BFCA top 10, at least two/three movies wont be BP nomminated at Oscars to make room for Silence. I would say that the weakest contenders are Loving and Hell or High Water. 

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Best news with BFCA: HR is looking stronger each day.

Kind of surprised with Jackie missing BP in early precursors. Hidden Figures not showing in BP is also noticeable, but at least, it appeared as an Ensemble, and we know AMPAS are full of actors.

Of the BFCA top 10, at least two/three movies wont be BP nomminated at Oscars to make room for Silence. I would say that the weakest contenders are Loving and Hell or High Water. 

I think Lion is probably weaker than Loving or Hell or High Water.  

2 hours ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I think Lion is probably weaker than Loving or Hell or High Water.  

I would say Lion is at least in the same league than those two.

In fact, I still have many doubts with Hell or High Water. On paper, both Loving and Lion look more AMPA's friendly.

Hell or High Water seems set for Screenplay and Supporting Actor at least, and I'd expect it to receive a good number #1 votes, it's an impressively made, intelligent and funny movie, and the kind where if you like it, you REALLY like it. The summer release must have allowed it more time to build word-of-mouth within the industry than it ordinarily would have got, too. And a movie being more "AMPAS friendly" has been a trickier argument at least since The Butler and Saving Mr. Banks received just one nom between them. In recent years it's been harder to guess what AMPAS is gonna love.

If it weren't for Gibson, I would actually have more confidence in Hacksaw Ridge being a major player (as it stands, I think it's getting a few tech noms and Garfield being nominated for it instead of Silence). That said, if it manages to breakthrough, I'm not looking forward to all of the "think pieces" about how the disgraced black actor/filmmaker (Nate Parker) and his contender (Birth of a Nation) were sunk by his controversial past while the disgraced white actor/filmmaker (Gibson) and his movie (Hacksaw Ridge) got a free pass. Which is totally an AMPAS thing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hell or High Water seems set for Screenplay and Supporting Actor at least, and I'd expect it to receive a good number #1 votes, it's an impressively made, intelligent and funny movie, and the kind where if you like it, you REALLY like it. The summer release must have allowed it more time to build word-of-mouth within the industry than it ordinarily would have got, too. And a movie being more "AMPAS friendly" has been a trickier argument at least since The Butler and Saving Mr. Banks received just one nom between them. In recent years it's been harder to guess what AMPAS is gonna love.

Plus it has a timely argument by being a movie about the little blue collar guys fed up with how the system is rigged against them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

If it weren't for Gibson, I would actually have more confidence in Hacksaw Ridge being a major player (as it stands, I think it's getting a few tech noms and Garfield being nominated for it instead of Silence). That said, if it manages to breakthrough, I'm not looking forward to all of the "think pieces" about how the disgraced black actor/filmmaker (Nate Parker) and his contender (Birth of a Nation) were sunk by his controversial past while the disgraced white actor/filmmaker (Gibson) and his movie (Hacksaw Ridge) got a free pass. Which is totally an AMPAS thing to do.

To be fair, I also heard BOAN isn't that good.  But at the same time, it is a little ironic.

To be fair though, Parker's case seems worse than Gibson's (Not saying Gibson's isn't bad.  I almost didn't see Hacksaw Ridge because it, despite thinking it looked really good.  I didn't see Parker's because it wasn't playing near me and I didn't have enough interest to)

• Like 1

I'm thinking about Supporting Actor, and there are only three locks: Ali, Bridges, and Hedges. Ali and Bridges are in contention for the win, and Hedges is in a movie that will likely win two big awards. The last two spots could go ANY way:

Neeson's role in Silence in very small, and even the movie's biggest fans aren't predicting him; Kris Tapley thinks Silence will challenge La La Land yet moved Neeson down to 12th!

Issei Ogata seems to be the main Silence supporting contender. The Silence guys will probably have a vote split tbh.

Hugh Grant is starting to look a lot more likely. The one thing holding him back is whether or not his movie is remembered. He's #4 in my predictions now.

Dev Patel seems to be getting name checked in predictions. Although he's lurking for one of these spots, I doubt Weinstein has enough power anymore to push a mediocre movie in a competitive category. I have him in now as a placeholder.

One month ago, I was comfortable about Michael Shannon getting nominated. Now, I doubt his chances. Nocturnal Animals won't play well to the Academy.

Ben Foster is starting to get more buzz. If the Academy loves HOHW, I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Pine get nominated.

I don't know if either of the two Fences contenders will get enough votes, especially if a vote split happens. 

Then there's John Goodman. Paramount isn't doing any campaigning for him; that is a HUGE mistake. If they were running a half-decent campaign, not only would he get nominated, but he could win. This is Paramount we're talking about though.

New predictions:

1. Jeff Bridges

2. Mahershala Ali

3. Lucas Hedges

4. Hugh Grant

5. Dev Patel

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm thinking about Supporting Actor, and there are only three locks: Ali, Bridges, and Hedges. Ali and Bridges are in contention for the win, and Hedges is in a movie that will likely win two big awards. The last two spots could go ANY way:

Neeson's role in Silence in very small, and even the movie's biggest fans aren't predicting him; Kris Tapley thinks Silence will challenge La La Land yet moved Neeson down to 12th!

Issei Ogata seems to be the main Silence supporting contender. The Silence guys will probably have a vote split tbh.

Hugh Grant is starting to look a lot more likely. The one thing holding him back is whether or not his movie is remembered. He's #4 in my predictions now.

Dev Patel seems to be getting name checked in predictions. Although he's lurking for one of these spots, I doubt Weinstein has enough power anymore to push a mediocre movie in a competitive category. I have him in now as a placeholder.

One month ago, I was comfortable about Michael Shannon getting nominated. Now, I doubt his chances. Nocturnal Animals won't play well to the Academy.

Ben Foster is starting to get more buzz. If the Academy loves HOHW, I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Pine get nominated.

I don't know if either of the two Fences contenders will get enough votes, especially if a vote split happens. 

Then there's John Goodman. Paramount isn't doing any campaigning for him; that is a HUGE mistake. If they were running a half-decent campaign, not only would he get nominated, but he could win. This is Paramount we're talking about though.

New predictions:

1. Jeff Bridges

2. Mahershala Ali

3. Lucas Hedges

4. Hugh Grant

5. Dev Patel

I really don't see a path for Grant when even BFCA didn't go for him. Plus, Streep isn't even a guarantee and it would be weird if he got a nom and she didn't when it's her movie through and through.

Updated predictions

Best Picture

Top 5

La La Land

Silence

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Arrival

Contending for 6 - 10

Fences

Hidden Figures

Hell or High Water