Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

On 2017/5/4 at 2:46 AM, The Stingray said:
On 2017/5/4 at 1:28 AM, The Futurist said:

The Visit was better.

And make no mistake, The Visit is atrocious and abysmal ...

Futurist hated it. Good. It means I'll probably love it.

LOL did Futurist turn into another @shayhiri  on this site?

What if there's one film Futurist hated it but Shayhiri liked it? Who is a better indicator then? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

LOL did Futurist turn into another @shayhiri  on this site?

What if there's one film Futurist hated it but Shayhiri liked it? Who is a better indicator then? :ph34r:

No matter who wins, we lose

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, DAR said:

No matter who wins, we lose

"Futurist and Shayhiri, these guys are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here and they're gonna get us!"

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

"Futurist and Shayhiri, these guys are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here and they're gonna get us!"

VC....VC.... just relax....

Get Out is continuing its amazing run oversees with a total of $65.8 million and Total incl dom of $241.03 million. No one would of though it would have made even half this much. Really astounding. I'm not sure where it would end though. $270 million?

• Like 1

On 3/15/2017 at 6:42 AM, baumer said:

Get Out is a great movie.  But it's not the kind of movie that the academy typically nominates.  First of all, it's horror.  Second, it's a January film.  Third, no one has a crippling disease.  It's not a historical drama and third, there will be a litany of smaller movies that come out later in the year that will be fresh in their minds.  As for the DGA, come on dude.  This just is not the kind of film they go for.  

And, please, book mark me as well.

1. I stated that it will receive a first time nomination at the DGA, not a best director nomination at the DGA

2. Screenplay warrants way more leeway in what is possibly nominated. No one ever thought a raunchy comedy with puking scenes will have received a screenplay nomination, but Universal (the same studio that will manage Get Out's campaign) somehow accomplished that. 

3. I stated that guild support is crucial, and a WGA nomination seems to be a real possibility seeing as I first came across the screenplay during the summer of 2016 at the recommendation of a WGA member. The industry screenings have also been going great from what I hear. We will see, though, but I will bookmark you too.  

‘Get Out’ Is 2017’s Most Profitable Film So Far

Jordan Peele’s racism-horror masterpiece “Get Out” has had the best return on investment of any film of 2017 — a spectacular 630 percent.

Deep into summer, only one other film this year has come close to that kind of return — and it’s from Blumhouse, the same production company that delivered “Get Out.” M. Night Shyamalan‘s “Split” had a 610 percent ROI.

TheWrap calculated an estimate for the combined production budget and marketing costs for the top 25 grossing films this year so far, and Blumhouse founder and CEO Jason Blum’s strategy of taking creative risks within tight budgets is paying off.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Watched the blu ray the other night. So good.

No other film will beat this as the box office story of 2017. 

Reviews, multiplier, genre expectations, WOM, profit ratio etc. 

I would argue Wonder Woman's run was more iconic and groundbreaking due to what the movie accomplished in spite of the history records, but it's hard to disagree w/that. Get Out was a massive surprise in just about every way.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I would argue Wonder Woman's run was more iconic and groundbreaking due to what the movie accomplished in spite of the history records, but it's hard to disagree w/that. Get Out was a massive surprise in just about every way.

Imo I don't think Wonder Woman's run is anywhere near the top story. Wonder Woman had an incredible run and did something that has never been done for a comic book movie. But it's still a comic book movie with the DC Universe behind it and Warner Brothers marketing it. It had a massive budget and a massive marketing campaign and it did massively well no doubt. But, Get Out had a miniscule budget and made its money purely on word-of-mouth. This of course is taking nothing away from Wonder Woman but when you have a movie that was made for Scotch tape, peanuts, and free passes to a Chinese buffet and you end up grossing 170 million dollars, I think that makes you the box-office Story of the Year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Imo I don't think Wonder Woman's run is anywhere near the top story. Wonder Woman had an incredible run and did something that has never been done for a comic book movie. But it's still a comic book movie with the DC Universe behind it and Warner Brothers marketing it. It had a massive budget and a massive marketing campaign and it did massively well no doubt. But, Get Out had a miniscule budget and made its money purely on word-of-mouth. This of course is taking nothing away from Wonder Woman but when you have a movie that was made for Scotch tape, peanuts, and free passes to a Chinese buffet and you end up grossing 170 million dollars, I think that makes you the box-office Story of the Year.

Not just 170M DOM, but over 250M WW, which is batshit insane and easily puts GO in the conversation for one of the most profitable movies ever made.

I mentioned WW simply because, like you said, it did something that had never been done before w/a comic book movie and broke the glass ceiling for what superhero tentpoles could do in terms of box office.

But yeah, you're right, at the end of the day, nothing can beat the general shock of seeing a movie like Get Out, which only cost like 3 bucks, outgross every non-superhero movie of the year (except BATB and DM3).