POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

Isn't Krampus a good comparison for Office Christmas Party? It wasn't R rated and opened a few days earlier in the calendar but still it was a comedy with a holiday theme. It opened to 16m and had mediocre legs for this time of the year mainly because it lost 2/3 of its theatres to new competition by dec 25.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Even with WOM, a 16-17M opening would put 70M in play.

I know its the holidays and all, but even so I can't imagine even great WoM giving it legs like that with the slate of new openers about to hit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

Isn't Krampus a good comparison for Office Christmas Party? It wasn't R rated and opened a few days earlier in the calendar but still it was a comedy with a holiday theme. It opened to 16m and had mediocre legs for this time of the year mainly because it lost 2/3 of its theatres to new competition by dec 25.

Idk. That was a comedy horror. Those do worse. 

20 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I really wanted Office Christmas Party to do well for Kate. That poor woman has had a terrible year. I guess this is another flop. 

Terrible year?

She broke out, won an Emmy, had her first lead in a film and her character from Ghostbusters was a cultural success.

It's the best year she's ever had. 

• Like 5

Poor Jennifer Aniston. She'll never be a movie star or a resected actress (she tried so hard with Cake). At best she'll have success with supporting roles in critically panned ensemble comedies that do reasonably well at the box office. As much as she likes to (hypocritically) complain about the media's obsession with her personal life, that's what's kept her name relevant all these years. 

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Terrible year?

She broke out, won an Emmy, had her first lead in a film and her character from Ghostbusters was a cultural success.

It's the best year she's ever had. 

I meant in terms of movie flops. Ghostbusters, Masterminds, and now Office Christmas party. 

43 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Poor Jennifer Aniston. She'll never be a movie star or a resected actress (she tried so hard with Cake). At best she'll have success with supporting roles in critically panned ensemble comedies that do reasonably well at the box office. As much as she likes to (hypocritically) complain about the media's obsession with her personal life, that's what's kept her name relevant all these years. 

...and I'm sure your pitty entertains her a lot, while on her way to the bank to collect royalties from

Friends and endorsements money.

Well, one can argue she was a movie star for some years and only slowed down after Millers, which was a huge success, in a big part because of her.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol and of course it's the actress who gets "attacked" as usual. What about Jason Bateman? He has one of the most inconsistent box office track records ever.

Who in here is attacking an actress? I'm just saying I feel bad for Kate. She's very talented and these flops make me sad.

Jason Bateman is so z-list, he isn't worth discussing. 

Edited by Frozen

So, best-case scenario it opens to $17-18m this weekend, then somehow treads through the Christmas season glut to earn $50m total, then somehow manages to earn that much OS, which would give it $100m on a $45m budget. That's still not great, especially when you consider how much they probably spent on marketing. Still, it could break even down the road if it becomes a popular streaming option around Christmas every year.