Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

8 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

How does that compare to anything you can remember?

tbh, I don't usually check Fridays in any sort of detail so I don't have anything to go on. Having afternoon and evening sellouts at 10:45 in the morning seems pretty good to me, though.

Ok up date:

I saw collateral Beauty at 11:30 a.m. I enjoyed it. It's definitely an emotional film and the ending of it really brought the house down. Bring some tissues. I'm not saying it's for everybody but it was definitely a good film period the update for Star Wars is as follows.

1030 am AVX 25% SOLD

1pm AVX 23% SOLD

430 AVX 75% SOLD

130 3D 3% SOLD

1PM 2D 5% SOLD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

If I wasn't driving tonight to avoid the snow mess tomorrow morning I might have seen it again.

Or gone to see either Nocturnal Animals or Manchester by the Sea which my AMC now has.

Jayhawk and I are going to see it in good ol' Dolby Cinema (and love seat) goodness

• Like 1

part of an article about the Star Wars canon and legend thingies, that contains also other details (e.g. top franchise vs top non franchise charts....)

Usually you see those only as dom

hickey-starwars-21.png?quality=90&strip=

hickey-starwars-11.png?quality=90&strip=

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/star-wars-killed-a-universe-to-save-the-galaxy/?ex_cid=story-twitter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Ok up date:

I saw collateral Beauty at 11:30 a.m. I enjoyed it. It's definitely an emotional film and the ending of it really brought the house down. Bring some tissues. I'm not saying it's for everybody but it was definitely a good film period

@filmlover

you all laughed at me but

• franchise entry without the main gimmicks of the past entries
  • touted as a "war film" instead
  • underdog rebellion against evil oppressors
  • "hope" being a central point of the marketing
  • white brown-haired female lead with hair up except long side bangs
  • going into the frey with a diverse military squad
  • grey-brown-teal color scheme
  • early preview numbers reported as above expectations
  • which are quickly corrected to the actual numbers which are below expectations
  • AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME IF THIS FOLLOWS TFA IT'LL OPEN TO SPECIFICALLY $122M???!?!?

tumblr_inline_o5af6cgDRR1qdld5l_540.gif

tumblr_inline_o5af6gTniD1qdld5l_540.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James said:

One good thing that came out of this, at least from my point of view, is that it settled once and for all the presales-OW-frontloaded-aspect-of-SW. It is very clear that SW has the most rabid fanbase ever in the US and that they buy tickets in advance a lot. 

On another note, now more than ever I keep my 132-133m prediction (if it follows TFA exactly it would be 130m). And if Baumer's club succeeds (and I think it will), I think we will have a very interesting run on our hands because 1b would truly be far from guaranteed. -58% overall OS drop from TFA so far.  

How has that proved that it's presales front-loaded if we haven't even seen the Friday numbers yet?

I still see the OW range being too big right now to call.

• Like 7

Morning and early afternoon shows looking strong here.  75-90% capacity for shows before 2pm seems great.  Prime shows between 7-10 are likely to be sold out with only a handful of seats unsold for each. 

TFA is the only obvious December comp we have and that was a force, pun intended.  $65-70m today is what I expect but definitely rooting for a surprise.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I saw Collateral Beauty at 11:30 a.m. I enjoyed it. It's definitely an emotional film and the ending of it really brought the house down. Bring some tissues. I'm not saying it's for everybody but it was definitely a good film period 

If you enjoyed it, I will enjoy it too, I bet.

By the way, now that you have seen it...do you feel that the reviews are...well...accurate? I mean, most critics make it seem like it is Uwe-Boll-levels of awful. I suspect that it is too schmaltzy for their taste, but I really want to see this. I don't mind a manipulative tearjerker at all (one of my faves is Beaches)...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, water said:

you all laughed at me but

• franchise entry without the main gimmicks of the past entries
  • touted as a "war film" instead
  • underdog rebellion against evil oppressors
  • "hope" being a central point of the marketing
  • white brown-haired female lead with hair up except long side bangs
  • going into the frey with a diverse military squad
  • grey-brown-teal color scheme
  • early preview numbers reported as above expectations
  • which are quickly corrected to the actual numbers which are below expectations
  • AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME IF THIS FOLLOWS TFA IT'LL OPEN TO SPECIFICALLY $122M???!?!?

tumblr_inline_o5af6cgDRR1qdld5l_540.gif

tumblr_inline_o5af6gTniD1qdld5l_540.gif

Except one is pretty good, the other not so much.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

How has that proved that it's presales front-loaded if we haven't even seen the Friday numbers yet?

I still see the OW range being too big right now to call.

Exactly, people should cool down with their gloating, cause the crow eating potential is huge here lol. :P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Nothing about this number makes me think it won't land around Civil War's opening weekend number.

The TFA previews need to be thrown out of the conversation, in my humble opinion.  That movie is the definition of a blockbuster outlier.

But the lower than expected previews already support what some of us were arguing about this lacking much casual appeal. Please tell me a situation where the Star Wars fanbase was ever letting the previews dip below 25m? That just wasn't happening. It could make 90m for the weekend and it was still guaranteed to make 25m+ in previews. Star Wars really needs to be pulling around 40m in previews in this day and age for it to be a huge number for the franchise. Now it could turn out to be nowhere near as preview frontloaded as TFA, but being a part of this franchise doesn't put the odds in favor of that. This movie should in theory be more niche and thereby more preview frontloaded. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1