Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

19 minutes ago, animationlover said:

it really amaze me when i learn that american people applause after movie show 

Why?! People clap after anything that's good. We aren't robots :P Every Star Wars movie I've seen has gotten wild applause on opening weekends and often beyond.

• Like 1

So I paid £15 to see this in imax just for Dunkirk despite already having an unlimited card so I was disappointed not only by the fact there was no prologue shown but the film also happened to be one of the mist boring blockbusters I've seen in a while. The general consensus from everyone I went with was it was meh. Sure the end was fun, but it wasn't worth the first hour and a half if boredom 

Expect lackluster WOM

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Why?! People clap after anything that's good. We aren't robots :P Every Star Wars movie I've seen has gotten wild applause on opening weekends and often beyond.

How does that explain the biggest applause that I've ever heard in the cinema - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen? :rofl: I don't care what people say about TF series, first TF was a near perfect popcorn movie (I could have done without hackers). But Fallen was garbage and yet people jumped on their feet and gave it a standing O. 

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

So I paid £15 to see this in imax just for Dunkirk despite already having an unlimited card so I was disappointed not only by the fact there was no prologue shown but the film also happened to be one of the mist boring blockbusters I've seen in a while. The general consensus from everyone I went with was it was meh. Sure the end was fun, but it wasn't worth the first hour and a half if boredom 

Expect lackluster WOM

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rogue_one_a_star_wars_story/#audience_reviews

90% so far seems pretty lackluster, you're right...

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It's weird because no one can hear you. You go to the theatre, you clap to thank the cast. In a cinema it makes no sense.

I'm finally gonna see it tonight. So take that for what it is.

But a 45M Sat would put 150M+ pretty much deadset. Looks like there's a thin line that stops Baumer's club from neither succeeding or dying yet. As long as it beats my over 148.8 (double Fantastic Beasts) calculations, I'm good.

Also, 150M+ OW = EVENT :ph34r:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm finally gonna see it tonight. So take that for what it is.

But a 45M Sat would put 150M+ pretty much deadset. Looks like there's a thin line that stops Baumer's club from neither succeeding or dying yet. As long as it beats my over 148.8 (double Fantastic Beasts) calculations, I'm good.

Also, 150M+ OW = EVENT :ph34r:

It is at about $46.5m for Saturday and $154m is locked for the weekend. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ldb said:

BTW, here is my insane "MovieMan89" like prediction:  If it truly is a gritty "war movie" with a Star Wars skin, it's gonna get something close to an American Sniper like multiplier.  Not quite 4.0 since it does have a slightly lower Cinemascore, but more like 3.6.    That's a 540 million total gross on a 150 million OW.  And that's a minimum total.

Most people predicting 450-500 million are underestimating the appeal, as WOM spreads, to the non-Star Wars fanboy audience which will get pulled in.  

But what makes you think WOM will be so strong? Its a boring film 

Just now, Jessie said:

Every single indicator and data point indicates the WOM will be strong.  The Saturday increase indicates that.  The Comscore data.  Cinemascore was an A.  The reviews are at 85% with most saying it is thrilling and has a phenomenal third act.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

It's weird because no one can hear you. You go to the theatre, you clap to thank the cast. In a cinema it makes no sense.

While I completely understand your point, the rest of the audience knows the power of the Force. You think that doesn't matter to word of mouth? 90% walk out thinking that was good or great, they all are going to feel better spreading that WOM when they think it was the consensus. Maybe the other 10% don't tell everyone "it sucked" because they know that's BS, so they tell people they didn't like it as much as expected.

PS: Transformers 2 is a guilty pleasure for the visuals but my god it must be the most idiotic nonsensical plot ever for any major blockbuster. On any sort of "judging a movie by its plot and dialogue and acting" level it's a real piece of shit. Somehow I'll still watch it every few years while doing work after seeing the first Transformers just because I like the music and the SFX and some of the cinematography. Like I said guilty pleasure to watch it at all because man it's hilariously inept. 

6 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rogue_one_a_star_wars_story/#audience_reviews

90% so far seems pretty lackluster, you're right...

Maybe bcs he is a Brit and have as such another POV aout e.g. humour? (not seriously meant, I know a lot of the British based people loved it)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Sorry you didn't like it, but the facts contradict your personal opinion about its WOM. As Empire noted. The movie has excellent word of mouth. Any movie will always have people who didn't enjoy it, no matter what movie it is. Manchester By the Sea has 97% universal acclaim from critics and I hate it lol :P Our personal opinions don't automatically mean everyone agrees - sadly! Ha ha

6 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Because all the blockbusters this year have been not really good...

Batman vs Superman, SS even Finding Dory was lame.

I am not saying RO is TDK or anything but I think its a above average blockbuster film especially for this year 

• Like 1