Plain Old Tele

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

The time off its less a concern than the fact nobody REALLY cares about education in this country, they just kinda think they do. If they did, school damn well wouldn't start at 7:40 a.m. or whatever it is depending on where you go. How does it make any sense for school to start BEFORE work does? Oh yeah, because we don't care about school or education, it's just a convenient place to drop your kids off while you're at work. IF we actually did care about education, school would start at 10 a.m. or later because nobody is going to be learning shit at 8 in the morning. Waaaay too early for kids to be awake, and way too early for many adults to be awake, frankly. The only difference is adults have a choice. When I went to college, I didn't take classes before noon, and finished with a 3.97 (only B was the last term). As an adult I own my own company and set my own hours, except those rare times I have no choice but to get up early, which is fine. But poor kids, wake them up at 6, 6:30 a.m., and wonder why they aren't getting much out of their education? Holy shit I can barely go through a list of simple tasks when I'm that tired, let alone learn anything new. My strategy in high school was zone out for the entire school day, try to catch anything important I could muster, but then just rely on the books to learn after I took a 3 hour nap when I got home lol.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

As a counselor / psych in training this whole board is interesting, not just the massive group think or the petulant have to be bad bad boys mixed in with the insecure have to make the world know my opinion is the only way stereotypes that abound. Tis why it's like a family. That being said my ignore list has continued to grow after years of inactivity. 

When you look deep into the stereotype, the stereotype will look deep into you.

Edited by The Futurist

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would always get a two week break during the holidays at K-12.  Are they just shifting it around for the folks who aren't getting this week off?

(Then again, being even older than Tele, we only had those new-fangled one room log cabins for schools, so things might have been a lot different then)

I was 'thanks' to my mother on/at (whatever the word is) 18 grade and ~ high schools.

Including in a technical school (something similar to a high school I think), 41 boys and me = biggest class with all having the same 9th grade)

And at a little grade school in a little not-even-a-town, with only two 'grades' and a bit more pupils in the complete school.

And in a school in the mountains. During the years we had really snow (not such joke winters like nowadays)

Was fun to get there in winter. If we managed to get the house door open, after the first winter there we knew why every other house had a little ~ a bit like a mini-jog-cabin looking 'room' outside before the main entrance = with an inwards opening door. Because in the past, in the mountains the houses had windows and doors opening outwards, so as more wind, as more the wind presses the window close.

Not good, if something blocks the main entrance. Like ~ man high snow.

And I was at a 9000 pupils high school in a big city too....

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

The time off its less a concern than the fact nobody REALLY cares about education in this country, they just kinda think they do. If they did, school damn well wouldn't start at 7:40 a.m. or whatever it is depending on where you go. How does it make any sense for school to start BEFORE work does? Oh yeah, because we don't care about school or education, it's just a convenient place to drop your kids off while you're at work. IF we actually did care about education, school would start at 10 a.m. or later because nobody is going to be learning shit at 8 in the morning. Waaaay too early for kids to be awake, and way too early for many adults to be awake, frankly. The only difference is adults have a choice. When I went to college, I didn't take classes before noon, and finished with a 3.97 (only B was the last term). As an adult I own my own company and set my own hours, except those rare times I have no choice but to get up early, which is fine. But poor kids, wake them up at 6, 6:30 a.m., and wonder why they aren't getting much out of their education? Holy shit I can barely go through a list of simple tasks when I'm that tired, let alone learn anything new. My strategy in high school was zone out for the entire school day, try to catch anything important I could muster, but then just rely on the books to learn after I took a 3 hour nap when I got home lol.

You overlooked how they gonna get to school at 10am when their parents are at work, not all kids can safely get there.

14 minutes ago, DAR said:

And believe me school kids around these parts get more than enough time off during the year.

For real.  My winter break for college is a little over a month and it's annoying.  I have to find a gym that'll do just one month of membership (because I can't go a month without working out really), it's not enough time to really get a job, and you spend two weeks sitting around because everyone else you know in town will be working.

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

If kids are too tired to go to school waking up at 6:30 AM in the morning, they need to go to sleep earlier. As long as they get their 9 hours of sleep, it doesn't matter what time school is.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

That would never work starting schools at 10.  You have to account for busing, after school activities etc.

Just now, Water Bottle said:

If kids are too tired to go to school waking up at 6:30 AM in the morning, they need to go to sleep earlier. As long as they get their 9 hours of sleep, it doesn't matter what time school is.

My school back then started on 07.00 am and I have to go from home at 06.00 am everyday from Monday to Saturday. Many of my friend have to go before 06.00 am but we survive

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Buses?

So you would just leave kids by themselves while the parents at work?  Take my sister for example she teaches 3-5 year old special needs kids.  Several are in wheelchairs or need assistance getting in the bus.  Probably just like any kid that age.

Anyway, good numbers.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're going to leave a 6-11 year old home alone for 2-3 hours until their bus arrives and expect them to have everything ready, feed them self, P.E kit, ETC ETC!

Well, if they can't get their shit ready in 2 hours at 6 years old, there's probably some kind of issue with them :)

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

So you would just leave kids by themselves while the parents at work?  Take my sister for example she teaches 3-5 year old special needs kids.  Several are in wheelchairs or need assistance getting in the bus.  Probably just like any kid that age.

Anyway, good numbers.

If they're not special needs, I don't see how someone who's 6 couldn't easily get their shit ready.  At that age, they really only need a backpack and breakfast to eat.  Simple solution: Parents can pour in a bowl of cereal before they leave, kids put anything in their backpack that they'll need.  That simple.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, animationlover said:

My school back then started on 07.00 am and I have to go from home at 06.00 am everyday from Monday to Saturday. Many of my friend have to go before 06.00 am but we survive

Saturday? Jeesh, that's a lot of school. :P

Yeah school would start at 8:00 AM for me but I woke up at 7:00AM. Generally if I was alert and ready for school, it depended on what time I would go to bed. :lol: