Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, James said:

Lol. people, I'm not saying ANH isnt hugely important for movie history. But good VFX is Interstellar or Jupiter Ascending.

And ANH as well. It's just brutally ignorant to say that movie doesn't have good VFX. I watched it recently in full HD to prepare for RO, and it still came to my eye how gorgeous it all looked. And to put it in context for you to understand... say that, 30 years from now, you have kids, and filmmaking is also much more technologically evolved. We see something like... Avatar 10, and the CGI in that movie completely dwarfs the one you see in Interstellar. Your kids, in their childhood, will naturally look at Interstellar after seeing and growing up w/an Avatar 10 and say "wow, the effects in Interstellar suck". Wouldn't that infuriate you? Interstellar's VFX is unquestionably good... given the context of when it came out and what did it show. And that's exactly ANH's case.

4 minutes ago, James said:

They were decent. Certainly better than ANH.

You also have to look at it from time ANH was produced they had very little to go on.  But don't forget what ILM did in ANH paved the road for what we have today.  I don't think you'd talk to any special effects artists who doesn't have a complete debt of gratitude to what those guys at ILM did.

• Like 2

no this debate again if a movie made in 1977 or 1991 has better fx than today standard....

I m piss of that seriously.

Back in time they were using real model. It was cheaper but take more more more time than CGI.

What makes a VFX back then looks great today (for some movies) is that the vfx is actually true like in Alien.

Today in modern blockbuster it's cgi cgi cgi somes are well made ( Hugo, Life of pi , Gravity , Avatar) other are a pile of shit..... same with 3D.

If someone here tell me that the VFX in The thing 1982 is not great even as today eh i don't know maybe he does not understand the vfx inndustry:) We can like or no like The thing but its VFX are beyond insanity as today....

Period.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Lay off the poor dude. He was clearly talking in absolute sense. Nobody is denying its status of a breakthrough in terms on sfx but compared to todays movies it does not look quite up-to-date anymore (saying it looks better than most movies today is absolutely not true).

I agree.

Besides, it is his opinion. He is entitled to it.

18 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Lol, it's the only reason i can't watch the OT, cause of it's visual effects, it looks so fake. Yeah i might have been mightblowing good then but now it's just bad. 

My friends wouldnt stop talking about how good the effects were. Compared to star trek TV and 60s movies it was a leap. 

You could smoke a whole joint back them and barely get high.  Now one hit sends you to a galaxy far away. Some things improve. 

Citizen Kane has horrible acting.

It's okay you guys. Leave James alone. Sometimes you just don't connect with things and if you were brought up in an era where visual effects look a certain way then perhaps that's just how he feels about the original Star Wars movies. No use in trying to convince him otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's definitely a weird movie. Kubrick's best effort was Dr. Strangelove. Movie is just as relevant now as it was during the Cold War, especially given recent events between Russia and America.

I like Strangelove and Path Of Glory most. But, yeah, 2001 is bonkers good. And, yeah, pretty much all of his stuff is masterclass or bordering on masterclass.

• Like 1

4TH UPDATE, Friday 8AM: Disney is calling Rogue One: A Star Wars Story‘s preview night at $29M, which is 51% of the record $57M that  Force Awakens made a year ago on its Thursday night. It’s the biggest preview night of the year, slotting ahead of Batman v. Superman ($27.7M) and Captain America: Civil War ($25M).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, James said:

Lol. people, I'm not saying ANH isnt hugely important for movie history. But good VFX is Interstellar or Jupiter Ascending.

And will be looking out of date in... lets say 30y also. Will that detail take anything away from your today's enjoyment? I guess no.

plus see:

3 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Critcising ANH for having "out of date" effects would be like criticizing the Vikings for being poor at warfare because axes and swords "are out of date" and so they don't compare to a modern soldier.

perfect = I like that

• Like 3

i respect the ot's effects and think they hold up pretty well all things considered. they were an important advancement and revolutionary for the time.

i also respect the pt's effects and think they hold up pretty well all things considered. they were an important advancement and revolutionary for the time.

let's not have double standards

• Like 2