Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

RT scores for the top 20 domestic grossers of 2016:

Finding Dory                    94%
Captain America: Civil War            90%
The Secret Life of Pets                74%
The Jungle Book                    94%
Deadpool                    84%
Zootopia                    98%
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice        27%
Suicide Squad                    26%
Doctor Strange                    90%
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them        74%
Jason Bourne                    56%
Star Trek Beyond                84%
X-Men Apocalypse                48%
Moana                        95%
Trolls                        75%
Kung Fu Panda 3                    87%
Ghostbusters                    73%
Central Intelligence                70%
The Legend of Tarzan                35%
Sully                        86%

Only 5 are "rotten". That's pretty good.

It still bothers me how critics slammed FB... Especially given some of the higher scores on that list...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

This is kind of a nightmare for Collateral Beauty, though. If it does manage to hit $8m for the weekend (and it could very well go down), it's still going to collapse thanks to poor word-of-mouth. Concussion had just a 3.3x multiple with much better reviews. If Collateral somehow manages to hit that, it'll only be at $26.4m domestic. 

"But overseas!" I hear you saying. Concussion made just $14m overseas, so that was a non factor, but even if Collateral makes double that it'll still only be at $55m worldwide on a $36m budget. Heck, even if it makes just 1/3 of its money in America with that $26m total, that's still $79m worldwide on a $36m budget which, at most, means it breaks even. 

This isn't a big money loser for the studio, it's not even a blip on their radar. Yall need to chill out, It's only really embarrassing for Smith's film resume. 

Passengers and Assassin's Creed have more to worry about.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

These numbers are an overwhelming victory for baumers under 450 crew.

I wouldn't say "overwhelming" at all, but yes, there is a bit more life in the club than most would have believed a few days ago.

17 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

More from Deadline:

Now, some think Rogue One could tip to $70M today, and if that’s the case, it’s three-day will get closer to $150M. With so much pre-sold business, it’s hard for some analysts to see a trend this early. Weather is a bit of a factor this time around compared to last year. There were situations last night where Canadian advance ticket holders couldn’t get to the theater. Winter Storm Decima which is bringing a snowy, icy mess from the Rockies to the Northeast this weekend isn’t expected to close down any theaters, but still it could delay some moviegoers getting to the theater.

This storm is called Decima?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Its ludicrous lol, the only movie in the next 10 years I can see coming close to TFA is EP8

I would assume the trilogy would follow the typical SW pattern (and the typical pattern of most trilogies actually) in the middle being the lowest grossing. So I'd expect IX to be the one to maybe come close-ish, assuming VIII isn't divisive. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Nope. Most of us saw the OT first. It's a self-contained story.

One of my favorite stories in my childhood in general is how I discovered Star Wars. Basically AotC was out in theaters and I asked my mom if I could start watching Star Wars. She said sure and she pulled my dad's VHS copy of A New Hope (not special edition though; it was an old copy). I saw it and loved it. We went to the library the next day to check out the next one (my dad only owned the original one), but then I saw a copy of TPM and I freaked out at my mom because she didn't show me the "first" one first. :lol:

(I finished the OT and then watched TPM after it like my parents told me too. Always have been a bigger fan of OT than PT, we got the OT on DVD that Christmas and eventually an aunt gifted us TPM, but never bothered picking up AttC or RotS haha)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

We need to contribute to it's gross to bring down Baumer's club anyways :ph34r:

Soon the rebellion will be crushed.

Everything is proceeding according to my design. The theatergoers in North America are walking into a winter trap, as are your IMAX equipment operators. You see it was I who allowed the Nolanites to learn about the Dunkirk prologue. The ticket counters are quite safe from your fanboy band. An entire legion of my best hockey players awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the polar vortex will be quite operational when your colleagues arrive.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

@Grand Moff Tele Do you think their is still a chance for it to beat Captain America Civil War domestically despite the fact it will open lower, and also another bonus will it be it worldwide for the 2016 crown?

Domestically? Yes, it should easily beat CW domestically unless it completely collapses.

I don't think it finishes #1 WW. SW movies tend to have lower dom/OS splits than other big blockbusters and I don't think it'll be big enough domestically to make up the difference. But it has a chance.

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I would assume the trilogy would follow the typical SW pattern (and the typical pattern of all trilogies actually) in the middle being the lowest grossing. So I'd expect IX to be the one to maybe come close-ish, assuming VIII isn't divisive. 

Episode 8 is gonna have another huge hook, Luke wielding a lightsaber for the first time in 30 years.  And Rian Johnson is a very good director

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

This isn't a big money loser for the studio, it's not even a blip on their radar. Yall need to chill out, It's only really embarrassing for Smith's film resume. 

Passengers and Assassin's Creed have more to worry about.

Fair enough, but still kind of a disappointing end to 2016 considering what an awesome year WB has had so far. 

What is the budget for Assassin's Creed btw? I know it was "near $200m" but has there been an official number released?

19 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

You lucky bastard :lol: It costs $20.49 here (same as the LieMAX), but I decided to splurge on RO tix. But yeah, it's better than LieMAX for sure.

What theater are you talking about?  

I watched Rogue One at the Fairfax Station XD showing last night.  Not bad at all.  I'll be watching it at Tyson's Corner IMAX on Sunday.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Episode 8 is gonna have another huge hook, Luke wielding a lightsaber for the first time in 30 years.  And Rian Johnson is a very good director

I don't like him either. :ph34r::lol:

But I just think he's overrated, I don't outright hate his films like you know who. 

• Like 1