FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

1 minute ago, James said:

I disagree. Legacy of the Force is probably the best S series out there. It is dark, grim and realistic and profoundly political. I don't see why a series called Star Wars should be anything else. 

George Lucas always conceived Star Wars for todlers you know.

@Grand Moff Tele Could you (or another Staffer) put the preview numbers in the thread title?  It's a bit hard to sift through all of the posts to find them. :)

edit

Never mind.  I see a Wed thread has already been created.  Carry on then. :D

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

George Lucas always conceived Star Wars for todlers you know.

Maybe. But really, it is a fascinating universe and it has so much more to it than sort-of-wizards and toy-like-aliens. I really like how the EU delved into social problems, politics and some deep and dark themes. I'm not a big fan of SW as a movie franchise, maybe because I am such a HUGE fan of the book franchise and I find it so sad that, despite such a rich well of ideas and possibilities, filmmakers refuse to experiment. 

14 minutes ago, James said:

I disagree. Legacy of the Force is probably the best S series out there. It is dark, grim and realistic and profoundly political. I don't see why a series called Star Wars should be anything else. 

I don't see anything good about it. The ideas felt odd at best, the characters were weird and in some part unrecognizable from what they used to be and everything Traviss touched turned into "Mandalorians are the greatest, Jedi suck" and made a mockery of Star Wars itself. Seriously, they had Jaina Solo, an established war-hero and fighter go to visit Boba Fett and his "Mandalorians" to learn how to fight Jedi, because he was such "Jedi-killer". The whole idea was utter garbage. Somehow a Jedi who was fought in countless battles against force-users can't even keep up with random Mandalorians for some non-existant reason. No one ever mentioned why she would have the need to go to Boba Fett either, seeing she actually knew how to fight a Jedi while there was never anything about him being good at it. Bringing him back in the EU is another of those completely stupid ideas that never should have happened, but what Traviss did with him was nothing but a travesty.

The way they used Jacen Solo as a darksider never felt good to me in any way, though it is probably where they got the ideas for Kylo Ren from. 'New Jedi Order' at least took a completely new approach, even if I didn't really find that one particularly good either (like the enemies suddenly turning from almost invincible foes to getting slaughtered by the dozens for no apparent reason), but everything that followed felt more like bad fan fiction.

Thrawn trilogy plus the next two Zahn books, "I, Jedi", the X-Wing novels, everything connected to KOTOR, that's where the EU excelled. Later on only the stand-alones seemed to be interesting, but the main storyline felt like they couldn't keep up with their own ideas and dug deeper and deeper into a place from where they couldn't get out of anymore.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

Maybe. But really, it is a fascinating universe and it has so much more to it than sort-of-wizards and toy-like-aliens. I really like how the EU delved into social problems, politics and some deep and dark themes. I'm not a big fan of SW as a movie franchise, maybe because I am such a HUGE fan of the book franchise and I find it so sad that, despite such a rich well of ideas and possibilities, filmmakers refuse to experiment. 

If you had a 4B$ investment on your shoulders, you would change your tune but I understand your perspective.

Experimentation with this franchise will come in time when Lucasfilm will have to drop the Anakin family tree hopefully.

I thought Rogue1 was very interesting and pretty intense, not super kid friendly.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

That movie sounds familiar. I'm sure I've seen it. Is it Jack Lemon. (too lazy to look it up)

It's Roman Polanski movie starring Harrison Ford and the french actress he usually works with.

There's room for more militaristic, political, SW.  

If you make ALL/MOST SW like that, that's a sure way to ensure stagnation and the eventual shinking of the property.

Kids are future fans too, you know.

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I thought it was going to rise on tuesday not drop... hehe

Ignoring the bait at the end, I suspected it might stay flat and said as much in the Mon thread.  A lot of blockbusters stayed flat in their opening Tuesday during the summertime.  This one did as well (with having three previews going on at the same time).

It's a good number, not a great number.  Oh well.  Plenty of time for it to make more. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Ignoring the bait at the end, I suspected it might stay flat and said as much in the Mon thread.  A lot of blockbusters stayed flat in their opening Tuesday during the summertime.  This one did as well (with having three previews going on at the same time).

It's a good number, not a great number.  Oh well.  Plenty of time for it to make more. :)

This number gives hope to Baumers club

Just now, IronJimbo said:

That difference probably caused by you lot on here re watching it for the 17th 18th 19th time.

IronJimbo....

Christmas Truce?  Maybe?  If they could do it in WWI, surely we could do it here on BOT. :D

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, James said:

Legacy of the Force suffers from trying to build up Jacen as some huge threat, but then continuously undermines him by having him get beaten like a punk, only to win or escape by either a cheap trick that only works because the plot demands it, sudden character stupidity, or him being allowed to live.

He's a terrible main villain because he's an arrogant douche who is otherwise a bland character, who gets most of his success through plot armor and other characters being forced to mess up. Plus the series juggles about twenty subplots and actually develops less than half, and spends far more time than it should setting up the next big story arc in that canon.

• Like 1