baumer

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard2) R1 18.5, Sing 16

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The first step for piracy sites to end is for the government to shut them down and make that shit fucking illegal (it already is, but they need to enforce it).  Like jfc, if you want to cheat creators out of their money that they deserved otherwise, you can't legitimately claim yourself as a movie buff.

Even though I download movies sometimes :sadben: I try to go to the cinema as often as I can. Outside of the obvious big ones, I will readily pay to see things like Hell or High Water, Sicario and Arrival (which was a bit of letdown to be honest, but still very interesting) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I actually have IronJimbo on ignore so it has to be someone else.

... But that doesn't surprise me in the slightest :P

There was that one guy that kept arguing about the December "effect" and how it wouldn't apply to big opening movies in the month. He insisted that TFA was an outlier. I think his name was hw64 or something like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Please don't.  No matter what situation.  It kills cinema.

Come on, you mean to tell me you never downloaded a movie from piratebay or something like that before? 

But yes, you are right in the sense that piracy is bad for cinema, very bad. Movies cost tons of money to make. I sleep well at night, because like I said, I am a frequent moviegoer regardless. 

29 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The first step for piracy sites to end is for the government to shut them down and make that shit fucking illegal (it already is, but they need to enforce it).  Like jfc, if you want to cheat creators out of their money that they deserved otherwise, you can't legitimately claim yourself as a movie buff.

I feel bad using my staff card on movies, it's legal of course and I'm allowed, but really I've cheated out of over 325 tickets between me and friends since I started working there

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Come on, you mean to tell me you never downloaded a movie from piratebay or something like that before? 

But yes, you are right in the sense that piracy is bad for cinema, very bad. Movies cost tons of money to make. I sleep well at night, because like I said, I am a frequent moviegoer regardless. 

I have...when I was 12, before I became a massive cinema buff that I am today.  Now that I know a lot more about the industry, I stay the fuck away.  Pirating movies a few years ago is one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life. 

• Like 6

Best box-office runs I've been blessed to be apart of:

- Frozen: the phenomenon that got me into box office back in 2013 (USA and Japan run specifically) 

- Inside Out/Minions/Jurassic World Summer Trifecta: this was what made the summer of 2015 in terms of tracking box office 

- The Force Awakens: a monstrous insanity 

- Your Name: the Japanese run (which is still continuing as it just had another weekend increase... in its 18th weekend...) has been a phenomenon 

- American Sniper: what the hell happened? 

- Zootopia: AMAZING box-office run and probably the best of the year along with Rogue One (CHINA... INSANITY) 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I have...when I was 12, before I became a massive cinema buff that I am today.  Now that I know a lot more about the industry, I stay the fuck away.  Pirating movies a few years ago is one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life. 

Don't be too hard on yourself. This is a side effect from a free information flow that is up to the various industries (in this case movies) themselves to correct and in fairness I think their technologies to protect their content have improved. Still doesn't change that we are in the first few innings of this transition. Napster has been transformed into so many different services that law enforcement is overwhelmed in their efforts to catch up.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I'm pretty sure I've never downloaded a movie. Watching on my computer would annoy me to no end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I watch movies on my desktop all the time :kitschjob: 

I own a huge TV for a reason. 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

The only movies I watch on my computer, I get off of Google Play or Amazon Instant Video. 

Even then. I've got Roku and Chromecast so I don't need to use my computer for such things. 

10 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I'm pretty sure I've never downloaded a movie. Watching on my computer would annoy me to no end. 

I use either my tablet or TV to watch movies.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Best box-office runs I've been blessed to be apart of:

- Frozen: the phenomenon that got me into box office back in 2013 (USA and Japan run specifically) 

- Inside Out/Minions/Jurassic World Summer Trifecta: this was what made the summer of 2015 in terms of tracking box office 

- The Force Awakens: a monstrous insanity 

- Your Name: the Japanese run (which is still continuing as it just had another weekend increase... in its 18th weekend...) has been a phenomenon 

- American Sniper: what the hell happened? 

- Zootopia: AMAZING box-office run and probably the best of the year along with Rogue One (CHINA... INSANITY) 

You must be really young then. I am old enough to remember Titanic's run from back in the day! What the f*** was that! I remember that many expected it to be a major flop as it had cost so much. I kept saying it'd be a major hit (of course what I mean was something between $200m and maybe even all the way up to $300M) and then it came out, and it just kept on INCREASING from one weekend to the next! Absolutely ludicrous! 

The Phantom Menace was also massive (but fully expected) the 6th Sense was an insanely leggy performer, Spiderman was astonishing back in the day (another one I called correctly) PoTC was mega (which baffles me to this day) TDK was epic as well (and was very happy for it) then The Avengers pushed the envelope a bit further! Jurassic World was a total shock to me (still is) and with TFA, I immediately knew it would destroy Avatar and once I saw that first Monday figure, I started dreaming about breaking the $1B mark. It wasn't to be :(

How about FF7 in China? Or how TLOR trilogy did in Scandinavia, Germany and New Zealand! I remember that very fondly!  

• Like 3

This TDK talk makes me wonder how huge Ben Affleck's Batman film will be. It obviously depends on the film's quality and the reception of the other DCEU movies before it, but I honestly believe that with the great reception Affleck's portrayal received in BvS, a fresh, badass villain in Deathstroke (who is also a fan favorite) and maybe a Joker/Harley Quinn appearance this movie has the potential to be truly massive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

This TDK talk makes me wonder how huge Ben Affleck's Batman film will be. It obviously depends on the film's quality and the reception of the other DCEU movies before it, but I honestly believe that with the great reception Affleck's portrayal received in BvS, a fresh, badass villain in Deathstroke (who is also a fan favorite) and maybe a Joker/Harley Quinn appearance this movie has the potential to be truly massive.

It does. But WB have to get their act together and stick to a plan and at least find a consistent tone for each individual movie. Suicide Squad was all over the place. If anything, DC has better characters than Marvel but they have to use them properly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It does. But WB have to get their act together and stick to a plan and at least find a consistent tone for each individual movie. Suicide Squad was all over the place. If anything, DC has better characters than Marvel but they have to use them properly. 

True, but I also think that Batman is going to be the least affected in Terms of popularity. He'll always be DC's cashcow.

• Like 1