baumer

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard2) R1 18.5, Sing 16

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

The first step for piracy sites to end is for the government to shut them down and make that shit fucking illegal (it already is, but they need to enforce it).  Like jfc, if you want to cheat creators out of their money that they deserved otherwise, you can't legitimately claim yourself as a movie buff.

Which government is that?  The one world government that controls the Internet?  Hell, governments can't even protect their citizens from cybercrime, terrorism, blackmail and data theft.  Online piracy is pretty low on the priority list and rightfully so.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

This TDK talk makes me wonder how huge Ben Affleck's Batman film will be. It obviously depends on the film's quality and the reception of the other DCEU movies before it, but I honestly believe that with the great reception Affleck's portrayal received in BvS, a fresh, badass villain in Deathstroke (who is also a fan favorite) and maybe a Joker/Harley Quinn appearance this movie has the potential to be truly massive.

What is your definition of truly massive?

By the time it comes out in 2018, Affleck will have already appeared 3 times as Batman in the other DC movies. I also think these extended universes are bound to hurt the maximum potential of the standalone films. We are probably not going to see another standalone monster hit like Superman '78, Batman '89, Spidey '02, SM2, TDK, or TDKR

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You can Airplay from Quicktime or iTunes to Apple TV. 

Could. But buying an Apple TV just to get a way to play movies I already don't want to pirate seems to be the wrong strategy. 

If I want to see a movie in theaters, I'll go see it. If I want to see it without paying any additional cost, I'll wait for Netflix or the DVD to show up at the library. 

7 minutes ago, KGator said:

Which government is that?  The one world government that controls the Internet?  Hell, governments can't even protect their citizens from cybercrime, terrorism, blackmail and data theft.  Online piracy is pretty low on the priority list and rightfully so.

A man can dream.

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

Could. But buying an Apple TV just to get a way to play movies I already don't want to pirate seems to be the wrong strategy. 

If I want to see a movie in theaters, I'll go see it. If I want to see it without paying any additional cost, I'll wait for Netflix or the DVD to show up at the library. 

I have Apple TV for other stuff. Mainly just prefer the Apple ecosystem to other platforms. Primarily use it for HBO Go and other TV streaming. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I have Apple TV for other stuff. Mainly just prefer the Apple ecosystem to other platforms. Primarily use it for HBO Go and other TV streaming. 

I can already do everything outside of Apple's services. Either Roku or Chromecast covers it. So unless I want to start buying things in iTunes (hint: I don't) there really isn't any point. 

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Please don't.  No matter what situation.  It kills cinema.

I remember one time I had a big argument with this girl who admitted to downloading ALL of her music for free. At first, she got really angry at me for even bringing it up. I had just said, "You know, the music isn't free, I mean you're stealing music from your favorite artists. That means they don't get any money at all for their hard work, which hurts their ability to keep producing music." She started with the argument that it's not that big of a deal, it's just her, it's just one person, "anyway get off my case I don't care." I was friendly the whole time, I just said, ok, if you don't care there's nothing I can do about it, I'm just saying it's the same as stealing anything else and I personally think stealing is wrong. I like to support things I enjoy and I just imagine if everyone stole all of the music they liked, never paid for it, then we may not have that music anymore.

The argument ended with us agreeing to discuss other things and move on. But a few months later, she told me she had thought about what I said, and she realized I was right, and she told me she had started the process of buying all of her favorite songs on iTunes legitimately. I was very happy about it, because I think a lot of people just don't know what they're doing, they don't see it as "a big deal," but if you can talk to them about it politely and not rudely and kind of give your reasons for why it's important to pay the artists, they will usually understand at least. They may keep doing what they're doing, but who knows? Even just changing one person's buying behavior is a win, I think. With film, I try to remind people that you're not punishing Tom Cruise or the rich producers or whatever, and you're totally right, they don't need the money. But did you know that most people in Hollywood are grips, gaffers, production assistants, set dressers, production accountants, transportation, and other jobs that depend on as many productions happening per year as possible just to make a decent living? Those people aren't rich, living in mansions, flying private jets. Those are just regular people trying to feed their families and store away some money for retirement, which is accomplished by contributions to their pension funds that happens when they work on movies. If people pirate the hell out of movies, there are fewer of them, and those people lose work, which eventually forces some of them out of the industry entirely. 

Your A list actor or director may be the face of Hollywood, but beneath those privileged few there are A LOT of people just barely making a decent living. 

• Like 9

I pirate a lot of things and I can also afford to buy things properly however there are more legal avenues over time.

I do have Netflix and find paying 20 to 30 bucks to watch a film after theaters to be absurd so I never buy DVD or Bluejays anymore.

For example civil war is on Netflix so I skipped buying the blue ray for it and can watch it in HD.

The issue is the way cinema is changing people will not fork out 15 to 20 bucks to watch Arrival in theaters when they can watch it for hardly nothing  legalky or even free illegaly at home.

Before you say what about the moral implications, we'll its me Mandeep lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just came back from viewing #2, Rogue One

The beginning does stall somewhat, I don't like the flow of it, but I really feel like they developed the characters very well during the movie, so it balances out. I had no problems understanding their motivations.

But what this movie does best is build stakes, and tension. It just builds up, and builds up, and builds up, and by the end you're just jizzing everywhere from the overflow of awesomeness.

:qotd:

Thanks for reading.

Also, music really worked for me on 2nd viewing :ph34r:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I have...when I was 12, before I became a massive cinema buff that I am today.  Now that I know a lot more about the industry, I stay the fuck away.  Pirating movies a few years ago is one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life. 

Pirating a few movies is the biggest miskatkes in your life?

Dont want to be rude but either you are being hyperbolic or you live one boring life lol

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Pirating a few movies is the biggest miskatkes in your life?

Dont want to be rude but either you are being hyperbolic or you live one boring life lol

First world problems

• Like 4

Ugh, I get so annoyed by people who pirate movies, not only for the obvious reason that it's illegal and does cinema a disservice, but also because I just can't stand that so many people would rather sit at home and watch a movie rather than go see it on the big screen. But that's the thing: nowadays people just want to be able to do more an more without leaving the comfort of their own home or without lifting a finger in any way.

I go to as many movies as I can. I enjoy it a lot, it's a hobby of mine, but I also just want to support cinema as much as possible. It's depressing to think that one day soon it will die out because of our lazy, ADD society.

EDIT: Just want to add that I'm absolutely not attacking anyone who has pirated before because we've all done stuff. I would just hope that whoever has doesn't do it anymore. 

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

Not saying I never pirated because that would be a lie.  But I try not to, not because I'm thinking of the big names that involved in a film.  But more because of the behind the scenes folks that probably don't make much more than I do.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I download good foreign movies that you either can't buy here or is hard to find.  I've also cheated on some limited releases that don't play anywhere near me.

Yeah, I admit I did something similar one time. 

Equilibrium didn't play in Oregon at all. Not one theater. I actually FLEW to Seattle to see Equilibrium with my dad, who was there on business, and I drove home with him because he had his car up there. After seeing it once out of state, I really wanted to see it again before it was on DVD, or at least my favorite parts. I didn't feel bad about having that pirated copy because I literally made an insane effort just seeing it once as a paying customer, if the studio cannot be bothered to release it within 250 miles of where I live in a major metro area, that's really on them. I bought the DVD the day it came out, of course, so again I didn't cost anyone any money there. I think I bought it again on Blu-ray later. There's no way you could argue, "Well if you didn't have that pirated copy..." I would have, what, flown back up to Seattle for a couple hundred bucks and seen it again?! HAHA no! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Ugh, I get so annoyed by people who pirate movies, not only for the obvious reason that it's illegal and does cinema a disservice, but also because I just can't stand that so many people would rather sit at home and watch a movie rather than go see it on the big screen. But that's the thing: nowadays people just want to be able to do more an more without leaving the comfort of their own or without lifting a finger in any way.

I go to as many movies as I can. I enjoy it a lot, it's a hobby of mine, but I also just want to support cinema as much as possible. It's depressing to think that one day soon it will die out because of our lazy, ADD society.

Okay there...

Watching a nice movie on a big screen TV in comfy clothes on a lazy Sunday with a fireplace to your back as you eat a nice lunch or have a nice tea or watch a film with a friend with some drinks and have all the fun running commentary you like and spending like hardly anything...

Or pay 18 bucks for a film and 10 to 15 dollars for food and spend forever organizing with friends and family to get a proper time and picking up people and then dealing with loud people during the film.

What I mean is there is a reason why rogue one is the only film I seen in theaters since the summer.

• Like 2