Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti and The Panda Present: THE FIFTH ANNUAL BOFFY AWARDS! La La Land, Arrival, and Zootopia Lead the Pack!

Just now, Water Bottle said:

La La Land has a soundtrack? You can even buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Land-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B01MYLDW20

The point of the soundtrack award, when it was introduced, was to highlight films that utilize pre-existing music in their narratives in creative ways. A music award explicitly for films that don't invest in original music. It's a great award to have, if we utilize it properly, but it's clear that the La La Land lovefest is blind to some clear facts here (and I voted La La Land for #1 in a lot of categories, just not Score and Soundtrack)

Three more categories until Best Picture!

Best Actor

Casey Affleck

Manchester by the Sea

Colin Farrell

The Lobster

Ryan Gosling

La La Land

Chris Pine

Hell or High Water

Denzel Washington

Fences

And the winner is...

Spoiler

Casey Affleck

Manchester by the Sea

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Arrival is a decent screenplay on its own but not a good adaptation. All of its fans who haven't read the original short story really need to do so. 

I second this. It's a great short story. All of Ted's stuff is really.

Wilderpeople was actually the best adaption on the list. Although I'm a tad biased.

Edited by AABATTERY

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

The point of the soundtrack award, when it was introduced, was to highlight films that utilize pre-existing music in their narratives in creative ways. A music award explicitly for films that don't invest in original music. It's a great award to have, if we utilize it properly, but it's clear that the La La Land lovefest is blind to some clear facts here (and I voted La La Land for #1 in a lot of categories, just not Score and Soundtrack)

Blank, I like you.  You're a good dude.  Sometimes you take this shit a bit too seriously

• Like 4

• Community Manager
Just now, Blankments said:

"if we utilize it properly" says a guy about the awards a box office forum gives out. Seriously blanks, if you want to talk about the "integrity" of the awards, you're talking about the wrong awards show.

• Like 3

complaining that the la la land score should be ineligible is just blindly following the stupid oscar rules from a couple years ago that "musical scores don't count!!!" for like frozen and shit. even they'e recognised it's ridiculousness this year though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

"if we utilize it properly" says a guy about the awards a box office forum gives out. Seriously blanks, if you want to talk about the "integrity" of the awards, you're talking about the wrong awards show.

i said it before when blank was throwing a bitch fit about thread titles before but blank is the kind of fella that makes me glad i don't work in customer service anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

American Honey had the best soundtrack but what am I saying according to these awards the movie might as well not exist at all. 

You ain't lying, American Honey was my #1 soundtrack of last year. 

And maybe I'm taking these awards too seriously, maybe I'm not, but all I'm going to say is if it's literally just gonna be "Let's give a musical another easy award" then there's no point to us having a Best Soundtrack award because then it will always go to the winner of Best Song. It makes the award redundant in every shape, when we could have a different award like Best Breakthrough or something like that.

1 minute ago, AABATTERY said:

I second this. It's a great short story. All of Ted's stuff is really.

Wilderpeople was actually the best adaption on the list. Although I'm a tad biased.

Understand and Hell is the Absence of God are other ones I really loved. Wouldn't go as far as to say all of them are great but just the ideas he floats are always fascinating enough to carry the stories all by themselves.

I voted Elle (best screenplay of the entire year I think, with the caveat that I still haven't seen Manchester and Fences) with Wilderpeople as my #2. And Silence was obviously snubbed there. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i said it before when blank was throwing a bitch fit about thread titles before but blank is the kind of fella that makes me glad i don't work in customer service anymore.

THE TITLE OF THAT MOVIE IS STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, AND I WILL NOT BACK DOWN UNTIL JUSTICE IS SERVED AND THE TITLE IS FIXED

Seriously, don't compare this complaining here to that issue. The Last Jedi's thread title is actually probably one of the biggest problems in Box Office Discussion's policies right now. Ridiculously inconsistent with other rules on this board; it doesn't get to break the rules just because it's Star Wars.

And now for the last write-up?  Did we save the winner for last?

La La Land

og.jpg

“La La Land is a movie that announces its intensions right from the opening scene - a gorgeous, colorful musical number incorporating a few dozen performers, all of them playing people stuck in a traffic jam who've come to Hollywood in pursuit of their dreams. It's a deliriously staged scene, one of the most joyous of last year - and then, once the singing and dancing stops, comes the dark punchline: these people may have just sung their hearts out, but they still aren't any closer to getting anywhere. If the subsequent story of two of them is any indication, they won't ever arrive precisely where they would like to be, with whom they want to be. 

The movie spends basically the entirety of its runtime pouring over this central idea, gradually entering a more and more active dialogue with itself, its countless influences, and what it had been doing earlier. It's a film fundamentally built on contrast - between the reality and fantasy of relationships, the reality and fantasy of Hollywood, success and failure, past and present, the artificially created "movie magic" and the very real effect it has on people, inspiring them to create or live in their own movie magic, at least for a while. It wants to do so much that it can't possibly develop every single idea to its conclusion, and so it does the big picture and broad strokes better than the details.

Yet for a movie that has so much on its mind, it's also amazingly light on its feet, never didactic, and always confident, even more so when it moves into a bittersweet third act in which the filmmaking pointedly becomes more simple just as the emotions grow more complex; the music goes quieter, the colors fade, and some of the most affecting scenes turn out to be simple, quiet dialogue exchanges. La La Land has all the ability to get across the playful thrill and giddiness of infatuation, but also enough wisdom to view the resulting relationship from a calm, sober distance later on. The conclusion it builds to is sublime, and in particular, it feels significant that this is Damien Chazelle's first film with an entirely closed ending with regards to both story and character - the actions are done, the consequences are known, all anyone could do in the end is dream just for a little bit again.” – Jake Gittes

tumblr_odmnm4w8vD1udl48so1_500.gif

"La La Land is absolutely magical and it is the reason movies are made.  This movie did just about everything I could ever want a movie to do, going into it.  I was in a fairly dour mood when I first walked into the theater, maybe a bit less dour than when I went to see Arrival, and La La Land left me leaving the theater with a bigger grin on my face than when I went to see The Force Awakens for the first time in 70mm IMAX.  La La Land is joyous, electric and emotionally moving, all at the same time.  It's not only a celebration of why we go to the movies, but it's a celebration of why we pursue dreams and pursue each other, and how we balance all of that out.  Damien Chazelle's directing is impeccable, every single frame is perfectly shot and gorgeous to look at, the score is infectious and I am still listening to it constantly, it is edited perfectly, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone give flawless performances.  I was not able to find a single flaw in this movie.  This is one of the best musicals ever made, hell it might even end up being one of the best movies ever made after I give it a few years to sit.  La La Land is an absolutely perfect movie, and it is represents everything I love about cinema." - The Panda

• Like 3