Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti and The Panda Present: THE FIFTH ANNUAL BOFFY AWARDS! La La Land, Arrival, and Zootopia Lead the Pack!

i think la la land's great on the technical side but i never got everyone fawning over the production design. it's pretty plain for about 80% of the film. and i have no idea why chazelle throws in old movie references in there like the Vertigo curtains and shit like that.

as a matter of fact la la land has more "Hey, what about this old movie! Huh? huh?" stuff in it than rogue one. it's just that you kids ain't see those movies.

• Like 1

One more tech award before we get into the final "big ones"

Best Film Editing

Joe Walker

Arrival

Megan Gill

Eye in the Sky

Jake Roberts

Hell or High Water

La La Land

Tom Cross

John Gilroy, Colin Goudie, and Jabez Olssen

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

And the winner is...

Spoiler

Joe Walker

Arrival

tumblr_ohghc02Er91rpw23do1_500.gif

• Like 5

Just now, 4815162342 said:

The forum should have been more bold and given Supporting Actor to someone like Issey Ogata, Glen Powell, Tom Bennett, etc.

I would have voted Ogata if nominated. Out of the 5 nominated, Ali was the one I felt most comfortable with. Tangled with Bridges for a bit though

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Ali is perfectly solid in Moonlight but Andre Holland should be getting all of his awards. 

they were both on my supporting actor ballot i think they both manage pretty extraordinary performances in a short space of time (and i'd say to wrathofhan that the limited screentime is the exact reason why he has an impact later in the movie for me. his character really ripples through.)

I voted for glenn powll though cos lol why not. i'm bad at voting strategically. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Arrival, how about its write up?

Arrival

maxresdefault.jpg

“Arrival isn’t about time travel.

Spoilers. Sorry. But it’s difficult to talk about the brilliance of Arrival without revealing it’s inspired twist.

I mean, yes, you can critique its brilliant technical performance, from the cinematography to the editing to the standout musical score that elevates the film in combination with its otherworldly sound design. Make no mistake, Arrival is an exceptionally well made film that deserves all its accolades, and then some.

And, yes, you can bask in the brilliant performance of Amy Adams, which is supported by the actors around her. Her portrayal of Dr. Louise Banks is among the best of her already great career. It’s a masterclass of understatement, where she always has just the right look to bring out a depth of emotion in every scene.

But Arrival is science fiction, and that means we need to look at its ideas.

Early on in the film, Ian Donnelly (Jeremy Renner) reads an excerpt from her book where she states that language is the foundation of civilization. He disagrees, saying that the foundation is science. While there may be debate in the real world as to which is the case, the film comes pretty firmly on the side of language. The twist of the film isn’t that Louise Banks isn’t that a message was sent from the future, but rather that Louise Banks now has an intrinsic understanding of language which affects her perception of time.

(I believe I had heard at some point that the Pirahã language had a similar view of time: speakers viewed the past as something in front of them and the future as something behind them. Although I could be wrong about it being something in Pirahã or another indigenous language. Still, the concept was interesting enough to stick with me and came out again while viewing the film.)

This concept, linguistic relativity or the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, does have real world evidence. Perception of color, for instance, is strongly influenced by the language available to describe colors. In English, we have a good understanding of blue, and see it as strongly distinct from other colors. This doesn’t seem to be universal. Other languages may lack this distinction, and things that we’d see as blue could be described as other colors, or perhaps an absence of color entirely.

I’ve already talked for several paragraphs about this, and I’m just barely scratching the surface. All great science fiction is going to root into fascinating ideas and encourage them to take hold so that the viewer (or reader) is going to think beyond what’s in the story. Arrival succeeds in doing that in spades. We’ve had a run of good, smart science fiction films in recent years. Arrival stands very well with them.

Smart, impeccably made, and wholly engrossing and entertaining, Arrival is definitely deserving of all its praise, and then some.” – DamienRoc

arrival-2016-uk-trailer.jpg

“Arrival was a marvelous theater experience.  Despite me sitting in the front and having to constantly crane my neck to see what was going on (it was a crowded theater), every single neck pain I had the next day was worth it.  Amy Adams as Louise is quite possibly one of the best performances of the year.  It's quite near criminal that she got snubbed out of an Oscar nomination.  The way the plot is structured is utterly phenomenal.  The setup for the movie was very eerie, dark, and gloomy, and captured the tone perfectly.  It entrances you with every single shot of the movie.  Oh yeah, speaking of which, the cinematography is some of the best this year.  Every shot is done in quite possibly the best and most beautiful way, and it perfectly complements the haunting score in one particular scene.  Denis Villeneuve is a master of his craft, and he delivers what is quite easily one of the best movies of the year.

And yes Ethan, my testicles were indeed not intact by the end of the movie.” - ThatOneGuy

• Like 3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

they were both on my supporting actor ballot i think they both manage pretty extraordinary performances in a short space of time (and i'd say to wrathofhan that the limited screentime is the exact reason why he has an impact later in the movie for me. his character really ripples through.)

I voted for glenn powll though cos lol why not. i'm bad at voting strategically. 

Glen Powell was the right choice. He might not have been the most good, but he was the best 

Just now, AABATTERY said:

I don't get why people want like-bombs. Such an undignified way to get them.

It was pretty fun when everybody was shitting on the Amazing Spider-Man 2 and giving likes out like candy. That was a real riot.

All the music categories are a mess. You guys were idiots for nominating La La Land for Soundtrack, giving it the win is probably the most moronic thing I've ever seen on this boards. It's NOT A SOUNDTRACK. IT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ELIGIBLE. If any of you cared about the integrity of the awards, you should've voted Deadpool as #1, not because it's the best soundtrack, but because it was the ONLY ACTUAL SOUNDTRACK NOMINATED.

Likewise, you fuckers picked the worst La La Land song nominated, arguably the worst song in the movie, and also went with an "original" score that if, we or the Academy had any backbone, would've been disqualified.

Fuck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Yes, instead set like-traps. Every countdown thread attracts likes like lambs to the slaughter.

Putting Zootopia on my top 25 was the easiest 20 likes I've ever gotten. They come buzzing like flies at the slightest sign of praise.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Just now, Blankments said:

All the music categories are a mess. You guys were idiots for nominating La La Land for Soundtrack, giving it the win is probably the most moronic thing I've ever seen on this boards. It's NOT A SOUNDTRACK. IT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ELIGIBLE. If any of you cared about the integrity of the awards, you should've voted Deadpool as #1, not because it's the best soundtrack, but because it was the ONLY ACTUAL SOUNDTRACK NOMINATED.

Likewise, you fuckers picked the worst La La Land song nominated, arguably the worst song in the movie, and also went with an "original" score that if, we or the Academy had any backbone, would've been disqualified.

Fuck.

everything you just said was actually pretty dumb and wrong. how do you feel about that?