That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

On 1/8/2017 at 1:08 AM, Lordmandeep said:

Textbook piracy I have no reservations over.

I just saved 230 dollars cash.

I used to order my textbooks from India. Sure the pages were stinky and in black and white but what I got from India was like $20 opposed over $100.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fences is out as well, and Nocturnal Animals has a 1080p leak with Japanese subs. I'm surprised Moonlight and Manchester haven't budged yet.

Nocturnal apparently has like 7 minutes missing due to Chinese censors. Surprised about Moonlight and MBTS though

Edited by antovolk

On 2017-01-01 at 6:17 PM, GirafficPark said:

Without piracy there would be no iTunes, no Netflix. You would still be forced to buy hard copies of everything more than once for each device and wait up to year for release like the good old days.

Technology advancement made those services an inevitability regardless of piracy, especially since hard copies are becoming more and more expensive to produce.

• Like 4

I get pissed off when on Facebook you tag yourself at the cinema for a film that's just been released, then some cheap ass comments: "watched this earlier". But you know they must have watched a dreadful Cam rip in their bedroom.

No bitch, you can't have an opinion on it. You didn't give the film a proper chance.

Be gone. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2016 at 11:09 AM, That One Guy said:

However, I think shaming someone for pirating a movie is really the only way to get them to switch over.  

lol good luck with that. A lot of movies which aren't released on Bluray for a month are already out on WEB-DL or 1080 Bluray right now (A Monster Calls, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them). Some as far as 6 weeks away in perfect 1080 quality (Lion). All the screeners were out later this year but some released don't even have a Bluray release date yet or it's a ways away. But besides those, major releases have hit pretty frequently in 1080 with Korean subtitles only a month after release (Examples: Jurassic World, Don't Breathe, Ouija: Origin Of Evil). 

As soon as ANYTHING is available as a WEB-DL (usually they release 2 weeks before Bluray on Itunes and Amazon) they are out that night. Sorry it's one click away or $14.99. You can guess the option that most choose.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

On 12/30/2016 at 6:45 PM, redfirebird2008 said:

The concept is fine with Apple or Amazon's stores, but the pricing is not. It costs them pennies to host those files and they are charging damn near the same thing you pay in a movie theater with a giant screen and proper surround sound. That's not right. The pricing should be $2 for legacy titles and $3 for new releases. Instead it's $6 for new ones, which is nuts. Also think it's pretty effed up Apple only gives you 24 hours to watch the rental.

It's way more then that when it's first released ahead of Bluray too. I've seen the prices and it's just as much if not more then actually going to the movies ($14.99+).

And people definitely still pirate music. Most albums leak in advance for mainstream stuff. Being part of the dance music industry (most big names don't buy their tracks and use pirated software to create their own). They do the same thing or get promos. These are the guys touring.

Edited by somebody85

6 hours ago, somebody85 said:

It's way more then that when it's first released ahead of Bluray too. I've seen the prices and it's just as much if not more then actually going to the movies ($14.99+).

The $15 you're seeing is to buy the movie and be able to watch it over and over. I'm talking about rentals that cost $6 and you can only watch for 24 hours. 

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I get pissed off when on Facebook you tag yourself at the cinema for a film that's just been released, then some cheap ass comments: "watched this earlier". But you know they must have watched a dreadful Cam rip in their bedroom.

No bitch, you can't have an opinion on it. You didn't give the film a proper chance.

Be gone. 

I hope you tell them that on FB. :P;)

• Like 2

I do lol, I'll need to get some screenshots.

It's people who, for example: Logan comes out in the UK on Tuesday, they'll post on Wednesday that they're watching it. You just know it's the worst of the worst copy.

Embarrassing.

I still think IMDB should start a feature were you have to scan your cinema ticket to be able to rate a film for a certain amount of time, then a DVD/BluRay barcode for a certain amount of time, in order to rate a film.

It would certainly weed out the scores from people who haven't seen it.

Like all the Ghostbusters trolls from America posting their reviews on July 10th when it was released in the UK. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I do lol, I'll need to get some screenshots.

It's people who, for example: Logan comes out in the UK on Tuesday, they'll post on Wednesday that they're watching it. You just know it's the worst of the worst copy.

Embarrassing.

I still think IMDB should start a feature were you have to scan your cinema ticket to be able to rate a film for a certain amount of time, then a DVD/BluRay barcode for a certain amount of time, in order to rate a film.

It would certainly weed out the scores from people who haven't seen it.

Like all the Ghostbusters trolls from America posting their reviews on July 10th when it was released in the UK. :lol:

I hear ya girl, its insufferable, sometimes you just need to go on a social blackout during these times.

• Like 1

At the bare minimum, a movie should be barred from entering the top 250 until 1 year after release.

But you know, not that the top 250 is actually relevant anymore (it used to be, a decade+ ago)

In the last 10 years, dozens of old movies got kicked out unceremoniously from the list, replaced with recent ones and a handful of Indian movies which no one watched outside of India :qotd:

Just found the good thread

I don't know if that study had been posted here yet:

There was some study that show that pre=release leak would particularly bad:

We find that, on average, pre-release piracy causes a 19.1% decrease in revenue compared to piracy that occurs post- release

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1782924

I think they are using the best possible technique to evaluate the impact, ticket sales and tickets sales by capita went down since 2004, when torrent and others started to be really popular, but there was already bootleg piracy before that, so it has been so long that piracy was installed and you have it for every movie since at least the 90, that you do not have a movie box office/Home video performance without piracy to compare with those with piracy.

But what you can compare is for when a good quality leak appear, because many movie do not have a good quality leak outthere until late in is theatrical run and many you have before it's theatrical release. If the sample size is big enough you can compare how bigger the effect of piracy can be.

Some element, domestic it is mostly on HE, that the effect is big, not BO:

In 2002, when the BitTorrent protocol was first introduced, the theatrical window represented $9.2 billion in revenue to studios, compared with $20.3 billion in revenue in the home entertainment window (through DVD and VHS sales and rentals). In comparison, in 2012 theatrical revenue represented a slightly higher proportion of studio revenue, with the theatrical window representing $10.8 billion in revenue, versus $18.0 billion in the home entertainment window (through DVD and digital sales and rentals).

HE went from 25.91 billion in 2012 dollar in 2002 to 18 b in 2012, a 30% drop.

The US population went from 287 million to 315 million in that time frame. It is a drop by capita of 36.7%.

Day and date release seem to be a really good idea, for piracy:

The first, Danaher and Waldfogel (2012) analyze the impact of delaying the release of movies in international markets after their initial release in the domestic market, finding that delayed international release windows reduce box office revenue by an estimated 7%.

The US didn't adopt broadband Internet everywhere at the same time, study that look at different region movie industry performance seem to show that with broadband Internet adoption goes us, movies sales goes down, but rentals/BO didn't move significantly (a better study would have used peer-to-peer volume instead of broadband access, but those 2 must have been heavily correlated).

Pre-released movie were much more frequent than I thought they had 52 cases (available in average 7 week before theatrical release), they are mostly award season screener too, so in that sense it is logical.

It is small sample size, without perfect comp, the method used to estimate how much those movie would have made without a screener leak cannot be perfect.