WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

5 hours ago, ban1o said:

I'm ignoring the imdb rating for now lol. That message board and site is full of racist trolls. There was a point when like 17% of the ratings were  one ugh. Happy it's gone up though, I guess with real people who have actually seen the film voting! 

People were really down-voting HiddenFigures on IMDB, seriously?

Some people don't even feel the need to try to hide their racism anymore, that's just a sad state of affairs. 2017 is gonna be a bumpy ride.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ban1o said:

A movie about black womens contributions to NASA that was previously very unknown is "trendy" kkk 

Yes, a movie showing how great black women are is trendy, appealing to the current wave of social justice obsessed idiots.

Edited by Treecraft

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

UGHHHHH

industry estimates show 20th Century Fox‘s Hidden Figures inching out the Star Wars prequel for the weekend, $22M to $21.4M.

Hidden Figures spiked 18% over Friday today with $8.96M, while Rogue One saw a 55% gain over the same period with $9.3M and Sing surged  73% with $9M.

Illumination/Universal’s Sing is now expected to slot third with an estimated $19.9M for a running total of $213.8m.  Rogue One by the end of the week should rest north of $476M, $24M away from $500M.

Sony/Screen Gems’ Underworld: Blood Wars improved 6% on top of Friday today with $5.1M, on track still for $13M; 49% below its 2012 installment’s opening, Awakening.

Lionsgate/Summit’s seven Golden Globe nominated musical La La Land is still looking at fifth place with a $9.8M take in its fifth weekend, 3% higher than last weekend. Today the Damien Chazelle-directed movie grossed $4M, +29% over yesterday.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-hidden-figures-underworld-blood-wars-weekend-box-office-1201879773/

Well that RO number is atrocious lol (for SW standards), although Sing didn't fare much better. $21.5 million is a few million below even the most pessimistic predictions (I know, weather, but still...)

16 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Well that RO number is atrocious lol (for SW standards), although Sing didn't fare much better. $21.5 million is a few million below even the most pessimistic predictions (I know, weather, but still...)

Is it not because of last week having very inflated numbers?

28 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Is it not because of last week having very inflated numbers?

If anything, its numbers were deflated due to New Year's Eve on Saturday to Sunday. Party planning, buying and all of that.

But honestly, I think next week's numbers, assuming the snowstorm will have passed by then, will be either flat or increased. Again, snowstorm + New Year's combo of the last few weeks = a lot of people not going to the movies, and a lot of people wanting to not miss out.

1 hour ago, Treecraft said:

Yes, a movie showing how great black women are is trendy, appealing to the current wave of social justice obsessed idiots.

Yeah clearly there are way too many movies celebrating black women in the STEM field. :rolleyes:

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Treecraft said:

Um if the movie is well made and has a moral point that is based on historical fact then made up nonsense...that is to be encouraged regardless of political affiliation ...

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Some people don't even feel the need to try to hide their racism anymore, that's just a sad state of affairs. 2017 is gonna be a bumpy ride.

Basically if you're anything but a straight white male, you're considered bad and deserve to be shunned on IMDB. Dark days.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

lol imdb has had something against this film since the first trailer. It seems the rating is rising though now that real people are voting to balance all the trolls. Like obviously not everyone has to like the film but some their resentment is very strange 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Fences seems to be falling hard. Obviously the snow affected it but I wonder how the legs for that movie will be? 

I think Hidden Figures kinda took some of the attention away and it turned out to be more frontloaded than expected. Either way, it's looking to be Denzel's lowest-grossing film since The Great Debaters almost 10 years ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think Hidden Figures kinda took some of the attention away and it turned out to be more frontloaded than expected. Either way, it's looking to be Denzel's lowest-grossing film since The Great Debaters almost 10 years ago.

i saw it with my family on boxing day. I loved it but my mom and brother thought it was boring (and my mom hated Troy). My dad liked it though. I wonder if others have a similar sentiment? I don't generally trust my mom's taste because she finds a lot of "oscar" movies boring. 

• Like 1