WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I'd love that.  I haven't gone to the snow yet this year.

I usually love snow, but it has also been really, really cold and the roads have been icy. I've basically been stuck at home the past week. I doubt I'll get to the theater this weekend either. :(

• Like 1

My friend in VA posting he's totally snowed in.

In Portland I arrived back in town last night and today a large storm hit and it's snow turning to freezing rain. The local mall where the movie theater is? CLOSED because of weather. Trail Blazers NBA game? Postponed until Sunday. 

Theyre advising everyone to stay off the roads. I would say in cities like Portland you'll have massive decreases in movie attendance because nobody is risking their lives to see a movie. There's nothing out that can't wait anyway lol.

As for Silence, it truly is a movie for nobody. As an atheist especially I was bored to tears. It was extremely poorly paced and edited. You simply don't show someone doing every little thing on film and walking places and all aspects of getting from A to B. It's like my film school teacher said, whenever he sees people just aimlessly walking somewhere on screen but without any dialogue, just to show them going A to B, "They should be there already!!!" Exactly. Silence was just really a pointless movie. 

Edited by JonathanLB

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

My friend in VA posting he's totally snowed in.

In Portland I arrived back in town last night and today a large storm hit and it's snow turning to freezing rain. The local mall where the movie theater is? CLOSED because of weather. Trail Blazers NBA game? Postponed until Sunday. 

Theyre advising everyone to stay off the roads. I would say in cities like Portland you'll have massive decreases in movie attendance because nobody is risking their lives to see a movie. There's nothing out that can't wait anyway lol.

As for Silence, it truly is a movie for nobody. As an atheist especially I was bored to tears. It was extremely poorly paced and edited. You simply don't show someone doing every little thing on film and walking places and all aspects of getting from A to B. It's like my film school teacher said, whenever he sees people just aimlessly walking somewhere on screen but without any dialogue, just to show them going A to B, "They should be there already!!!" Exactly. Silence was just really a pointless movie. 

You must not like or have never seen any Bela Tarr films. Or Jeanne Dielman. Or any other masterpiece of the sort. I love the rhythms of simply living onscreen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LateReg said:

You must not like or have never seen any Bela Tarr films. Or Jeanne Dielman. Or any other masterpiece of the sort. I love the rhythms of simply living onscreen.

i agree w/ you but its pretty esoteric. intolerable to most people. which is fine. depends what u want from the medium.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Lego Batman is going to be massive. Gonna suck the air out of February and March.   :)

Of course I know that, I see it doing $300M+ but some tracking would be nice.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LateReg said:

No I don't like seeing mundane things on film. Film is a visual medium meant to tell epic stories partially because of epic costs. Filmmaking is extremely expensive - even basic, competent movies. There is nothing great about showing things that don't matter to the plot and slow down pacing substantially.

I loved Hidden Figures! What a great movie. I have the screener so didn't have to leave the house but it deserves the success and great ratings. I still hope Rogue One wins the weekend but nice to see a deserving movie doing well. I didn't hate Revenant by any means but I felt it was overrated and didn't deserve its success. It was well shot, well acted, and not a bit enjoyable whatsoever.

PS: I really liked the music in Hidden Figures. It was fantastic! 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Heh, I didn't take any of my Portland friends' posts about the snow seriously until a few hours ago. My morning classes at UP were always cancelled any time it snowed at all, so I just assumed it was another stereotypical case of the western part of the Pacific NW having absolutely no idea what to do with snow.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Heh, I didn't take any of my Portland friends' posts about the snow seriously until a few hours ago. My morning classes at UP were always cancelled any time it snowed at all, so I just assumed it was another stereotypical case of the western part of the Pacific NW having absolutely no idea what to do with snow.

I know people from Wisconsin love to say that haha but driving on any amount of ice is extremely dangerous no matter what the vehicle, skill of the driver, or tires. It's not impossible but it's risky. Snow itself isn't that big of a deal honestly I mean everyone freaks out but pure puffy snow isn't hard to navigate especially in any SUV even a mediocre one. But once that liquid turns to ice on the roads it becomes treacherous.

I think I'm fairly solid at driving in adverse conditions, it's mainly about no sudden moves and being smart, using common sense, but when I've driven this year in the crazy weather I was mainly concerned about cars behind me and around me. All it takes is a few idiots to ruin it for everyone. The last big storm here stranded people downtown for 3-5 hours and shut down the city. We simply don't have the equipment to plow the roads fast enough and up until recently the stupid city wouldn't allow any salt on the roads North of Ashland / CA border area to OR.

I would go see Rogue One tonight again but I can't risk it with freezing rain incoming. May try tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 2

It's kinda weird that there have been two big storms in Portland this winter. I was definitely spoiled not seeing one when I lived there in the early part of this decade.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

Sony basically dropped Underworld Blood Wars on its own, barely promoting the movie at all. 

Movie has made 45 million overseas and it still has some important markets to be released ( Japan, Spain, UK, Ireland, Italy ). This is the fifth movie and it's amazing that it might make at least 100 million worldwide.

Yeah, its domestic run will be short and small, BUT overseas grosses will give us another movie. I'm sure we'll get our "Final Chapter" or "Last Wars" sooner or later. Let's hope they won't go with the "Final Chapter" name, though.  We have several examples where the Final Chapter isn't the last one ( We got Saw 3D The Final Chapter 6 years ago, and then we'll be getting another movie this year, so...).

So, we'll also get Resident Evil The Final Chapter. I can't wait to see the crew saying we'll get another one ( we know it'll come sooner or later ) once this movie makes 200 million worldwide. It's almost at 30 million already, in Japan alone!

So, in a nutshell: We'll get Underworld: Last Wars  and Resident Evil "Regeneration" ( yeah, maybe a new virus and so on ) so we can pretend that RE the Final Chapter was only focused on Alice's journey. 

• Like 4

This winter has been obnoxious. I don't remember any other winter like this. In past winters we had either nothing or one giant storm that came and went. This winter it has been repeated BS on a regular basis. I've had at least 2-3 times now where I wanted to see Rogue One but stayed home because of weather. Regal thanks me since it would just cost them extra lol.

I had a corporate video shoot as videographer today scheduled and it was canceled last night because apparently not enough staff would show up today. It was for a dental office video. Ah well, I was tired so it was just as well but MORE bad weather forecast for next weekend and next week! So the shoot may be weeks from now.

• Like 1