WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I have to avoid Split spoilers for two months if I'm serious about it. Let's see how long I last

According to IMDB I gotta avoid them for 2 months myself. Jesus Christ, I'm just happy the spoilers rules were just changed for this forum.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, franfar said:

No, that franchise is DOA as well.

What's likely is that Split has a decent 2nd weekend drop

It has overseas, and fans on OD. To help it out. Split and A Dog's Purpose might be close together next weekend.

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

According to IMDB I gotta avoid them for 2 months myself. Jesus Christ, I'm just happy the spoilers rules were just changed for this forum.

Yeah, bet the mods didn't even know how good the timing was on that one. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I suspect even with the success of Split, M.Night probably won't be doing a big budget film anytime soon, he got burnt twice doing them and clearly he's better at thrillers and working on a low or mid budget. 

I agree. I think Blumhouse/Universal is a great home for him right now! 

• Like 1

It's interesting that while veteran directors like Scorsese, Zemeckis, Spielberg, Lee and Affleck all had flops or bombs in the last year, M.Night and Mel Gibson, two directors who were considered lost causes have managed to have successful films. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that while veteran directors like Scorsese, Zemeckis, Spielberg, Lee and Affleck all had flops or bombs in the last year, M.Night and Mel Gibson, two directors who were considered lost causes have managed to have successful films. 

Every veteran director has a failure every once in a while. Speilberg just hasn't picked any big projects. Zemeckis recent films like The Walk and Allied had not so great appeal, The Walk was smashed in, and Allied looked very unappealing. Scorsese can recoup with whatever project he does next, Ang Lee same thing, and Affleck is kinda new he can do the same as well.

Mel Gibson and M. Night have directed appealing films like Hacksaw Ridge and Split/The Visit, something that appealed to audiences and had decent word of mouth. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Every veteran director has a failure every once in a while. Speilberg just hasn't picked any big projects. Zemeckis recent films like The Walk and Allied had not so great appeal, The Walk was smashed in, and Allied looked very unappealing. Scorsese can recoup with whatever project he does next, Ang Lee same thing, and Affleck is kinda new he can do the same as well.

Mel Gibson and M. Night have directed appealing films like Hacksaw Ridge and Split/The Visit, something that appealed to audiences and had decent word of mouth. 

Also, unlike The Walk and Allied, which will be forgotten, Silence will have passionate defenders who will insist it was underrated/overlooked masterpiece or whatever. It's a passion movie unlike those other 2 shruggable ones. 

Gibson >>>>>>>>>> Shyamalan.  The guy can direct an epic like nobody's business. Good to see Shyamalan bounce back after a slump, tho. 37M or so opening would be insane. Also, McAvoy deserves a hit.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2