Jayhawk the Hutt

It Comes at Night | June 9, 2017 | A24 | Teaser in First Post

10 minutes ago, 75live said:

Yeah It Follows was completely ruined for me when I saw it in the theaters due to some kids sneaked in and were laughing or giggling for 98% of the movie.  Hard to get into a movie that depends on atmosphere and such with that going on, so I get it.

I had that with Let Me In back when it came out. 9 AM showing too, I thought I'd be safe but there were like three rows of jackasses in the back. I never wanted to Inglourious Basterds a movie theater so much. 

Yeah, it's sad. I pretty much gave up watching thrillers and horrors in the cinema. From time to time, I will give it a go to see if things have changed, but it always ends up being a stressful experience.

Honestly these reclining seats take all of the noise and atmosphere out of movies anyway. People don't even clap at Star Wars and shit anymore where I am, and they used to go nuts for everything in every movie. The reserved reclining seats have made it so I feel like I'm watching every movie alone. Every sold out Wonder Woman last week, couldn't hear any reactions.

When I saw the Chernobyl Diaries (don't ask), there was a scene where a lady screams out "Who's there?" into a dark room, and some guy in my row said loud as fuck in an evil ass voice "Meeeeeeeee!" Whole theater cracked up, only highlight of the movie 

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Honestly these reclining seats take all of the noise and atmosphere out of movies anyway. People don't even clap at Star Wars and shit anymore where I am, and they used to go nuts for everything in every movie. The reserved reclining seats have made it so I feel like I'm watching every movie alone. Every sold out Wonder Woman last week, couldn't hear any reactions.

When I saw the Chernobyl Diaries (don't ask), there was a scene where a lady screams out "Who's there?" into a dark room, and some guy in my row said loud as fuck in an evil ass voice "Meeeeeeeee!" Whole theater cracked up, only highlight of the movie 

Nah, I still hear plenty of reactions and applause with recliners.

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

"Those over 25 at 56% gave It Comes at Night a D, while over 50 at 12% had zero patience for the movie slamming it with a F."

Ok, what the hell is wrong with this movie? Not even The Witch/It Follows received such an amount of hate from audiences. Why this big discrepancy between public and critics?

Spoiler

Nothing comes at night in a literal sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The title's actually perfectly suited to the film. But, yeah, marketing bait and switch. I just, I don't know. I don't get why folks get so bent up about it. Bait and switch marketing has been going on with movies since I was kid.

They marketed it to the horror fan crowd who want slasher movies and creature features. It's one thing to hide a monster in the marketing yet another to 

Not have a monster in the first place when you marketed a monster movie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Movies shouldn't be judged on what a bunch of studio suits decided to market it as. They should be judged based solely on the content within. If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. What was advertised has nothing to do with what the filmmakers made. They usually have zero say in marketing. Their art shouldn't be judged because it wasn't exactly what you expected, it should be judged if it's good. Now, whether it's a good movie or not I don't know, I'm not seeing it till later. But hating a movie because it wasn't exactly what you expected and wanted going in seems reductive af to me. To each their own, though.

While true, the audiences only have marketing and a RT score to go on. If you went to watch what looked like a romcom and halfway through it turned into a Waiting for Godot like movie, you would understandably be angry.

No one reads reviews anymore, it's just the RT score now, so audiences didn't know it was a bait and switch 

• Like 2

It is a really, really good movie.  The problem is it is 100% art house and isn't even close to a horror.  It is more like a tense drama with no clear resolution.  

A24 marketed it wonderfully, but only if it was a different film.  They pulled the wool over people's eyes thinking they were getting a gruesome mainstream horror movie when in reality they were getting an art house drama.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

While true, the audiences only have marketing and a RT score to go on. If you went to watch what looked like a romcom and halfway through it turned into a Waiting for Godot like movie, you would understandably be angry.

No one reads reviews anymore, it's just the RT score now, so audiences didn't know it was a bait and switch 

I really do want a Hollywood studio to do that full-on faithful remake of

Spoiler

Audition

and send it straight into wide release after marketing it purely as a romantic drama. Audience riots would be legendary.

• Like 1

Yeah, fuck this movie. I'm still angry about going to the theaters to see it. If it was marketed as what it actually is, there is no way I would have. I could have easily waited because I've seen that scenario done plenty before. I'm not pissed off because it wasn't a jump scare horror film (I didn't want that), I'm pissed off that it wasn't even a psychological horror film. It has one of the worst endings of the year. It's not open for interpretation like The Neon Demon or Personal Shopper....it just ends. 

All I knew before going in was that it was a horror film from a studio that has done a lot of films that I like. I had no idea what it was about.

Now, watching the marketing....yeah fuck the marketing team for this movie. It is not anything close to that. Why they titled it that is beyond me because if IT is supposed to be paranoia it also comes during the fucking day.

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't really blame A24 for doing this.  They got the maximum money they could out of the movie.  Everyone who was going to see it saw it and a whole lot of other people did as well.  

And that's why people have no problem pirating movies. If studios want to play those types of games with audiences then that's what they get.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah, fuck this movie. I'm still angry about going to the theaters to see it. If it was marketed as what it actually is, there is no way I would have. I could have easily waited because I've seen that scenario done plenty before. I'm not pissed off because it wasn't a jump scare horror film (I didn't want that), I'm pissed off that it wasn't even a psychological horror film. It has one of the worst endings of the year. It's not open for interpretation like The Neon Demon or Personal Shopper....it just ends. 

All I knew before going in was that it was a horror film from a studio that has done a lot of films that I like. I had no idea what it was about.

Now, watching the marketing....yeah fuck the marketing team for this movie. It is not anything close to that. Why they titled it that is beyond me because if IT is supposed to be paranoia it also comes during the fucking day.

Oh, the ending is definitely open to interpretation.

Spoiler

All of Travis's nightmares are in 2.55. The final 10 minutes of the movie are in 2.55. It's possible these were just some of his nightmares.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Bullshit.  It gives no justification to piracy.  

Yeah, we're going to agree to disagree on that. Yes it does. If studios are going to market a movie as one thing, causing audiences to rush out to see that then don't expect them to rush out again when the next one comes along. Read the reviews on Flixster, many are saying the same thing. They all want their money back because they didn't get the product they were promised. 

If studios want to pull a bait and switch to make up for film costs, then don't expect audiences to pay for it ever again.

It's like a used car sales men saying "This car is great and will last the next 12 years!" and it breaks down the next day. "Well at least I sold the car!"

Sorry I usually like A24 but fuck them in this case.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh, the ending is definitely open to interpretation.

Hide contents

All of Travis's nightmares are in 2.55. The final 10 minutes of the movie are in 2.55. It's possible these were just some of his nightmares.

That's not really that open for interpretation. That's not asking anything that is that interesting like Personal Shopper or Nocturnal Animals. And if those were just more of the same, that makes the movie even more pointless then it already was.

Edited by somebody85

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hearing shit like this actually makes me glad I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House went straight to Netflix. Never thought I'd say those words but it sounds like there's no way to enjoy a slow-burn horror/thriller in the theater these days when there are more than three people in the room. 

My theater of 49 was extremely well behaved which is not usually the case with most horror movies (but this isn't that). No one on their phones, no talking...I didn't hear the displeasure until the credits came up and the lights came up. Then multiple people said "What the fuck?" and "That was horrible". People were walking out trashing it and I looked back to stare at the perplexed looks of people still sitting there almost expecting there to be more movie left.

Nope, you got scammed!