Jayhawk the Hutt

It Comes at Night | June 9, 2017 | A24 | Teaser in First Post

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because Babadook wasnt scary.

Be honest with your movie. Dont lie to get people to come and see it.

As for It comes at night it was f****** horrible. Another movie that lied to get me into the movie theater. Answer me this... what the hell is it that comes at night? There was nothing scary about this and I sat in the movie theater Waiting for the horrifying parts to show up. I hate it when they do this. If you're not confident that you can sell your movie based on what its really about then why make the f****** thing in the first place?

Spoiler

I think at night is when the paranoia and psychosis reaches a fever pitch. When left to wonder what's outside and whether the disease is already inside but simply latent. This is shown through Travis and his unrelenting nightmare of being disease ridden and/or visited by his disease ridden grandfather that watched his father execute and torch.

But, yeah, so again, your issue's with the marketing. I doubt Kent (Babadook) or Shultz (It Comes At Night0 had a ton of say in how either of their films were marketed. The same applies to The Witch as well. Just movies marketed to the horror crowd accents the horror, movies marketed to the action crowd accent the action. This applies to all genres and isn't new.

On different note, a movie that I'm pretty sure you'll love, Baumer, is Prevenge. Check it out if you haven't already.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

About a decade ago when SARS hit Toronto pretty hard the Rolling Stones and Friends put on a huge benefit concert at Downsview field here. They packed the stadium with something like 50,000 people. One of the "friends" that came on was Justin Timberlake. Now Justin Timberlake is a fantastic singer and a very good performer and a terrific artist. When he took the stage he was booed and people through programs and water bottles at him and so on. Of course the organizers apologized for the rude Canadiens and Justin Timberlake was actually really cool about it and said "look I understand why people would boo me. They came to see the Rolling Stones who are icons of rock and roll and here you have this little kid singing his pop songs." In other words there's nothing wrong with Justin Timberlake's music but people went to that concert to go watch The Rolling Stones.

Maybe it comes at night is a good film. But I didn't go to the movie theater to watch the movie what I watched. I went to the theater to see the movie that was advertised and that movie was advertised as a scary horror movie where there was something in the woods that came at night. I didn't get any of that so naturally, like the audience in Toronto that saw Justin Timberlake, I was pissed off when I was watching the movie.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

About a decade ago when SARS hit Toronto pretty hard the Rolling Stones and Friends put on a huge benefit concert at Downsview field here. They packed the stadium with something like 50,000 people. One of the "friends" that came on was Justin Timberlake. Now Justin Timberlake is a fantastic singer and a very good performer and a terrific artist. When he took the stage he was booed and people through programs and water bottles at him and so on. Of course the organizers apologized for the rude Canadiens and Justin Timberlake was actually really cool about it and said "look I understand why people would boo me. They came to see the Rolling Stones who are icons of rock and roll and here you have this little kid singing his pop songs." In other words there's nothing wrong with Justin Timberlake's music but people went to that concert to go watch The Rolling Stones.

Maybe it comes at night is a good film. But I didn't go to the movie theater to watch the movie what I watched. I went to the theater to see the movie that was advertised and that movie was advertised as a scary horror movie where there was something in the woods that came at night. I didn't get any of that so naturally, like the audience in Toronto that saw Justin Timberlake, I was pissed off when I was watching the movie.

You should have looked at what the critics were saying about this; Double Toasted flat out said it isn't the movie advertised.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow, this is probably the first time that I've ever seen a fresh movie with such low audience score ( 49% ). 

The Witch from last year.....

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

• Like 3

This movie was like walking through a haunted house and having the tension build and build and build and build for 90 minutes and then seeing the exit door. You walk outside like Really? What in the fuck was that?

What a fucking waste of money, good acting and great atmosphere. I love art house horror type stuff (although I hated the Witch) and can see why audiences are trashing this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow, this is probably the first time that I've ever seen a fresh movie with such low audience score ( 49% ). 

If my audience was any indication, it's going to fall even further over the weekend.

I made a point to not watch a trailer for this thing before seeing it so I didn't even know what it was advertised as. When the credits came up, I couldn't believe it.

• Like 1

Saw this post on the blu-ray.com forum. :lol:

When I got out of The Mummy last night, they had some dude in handcuffs and asked one of the workers what had happened and he said this guy threw his drink at the screen at the end of his showing for It Comes At Night. LOL! 

• Like 2

Hearing shit like this actually makes me glad I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House went straight to Netflix. Never thought I'd say those words but it sounds like there's no way to enjoy a slow-burn horror/thriller in the theater these days when there are more than three people in the room. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hearing shit like this actually makes me glad I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House went straight to Netflix. Never thought I'd say those words but it sounds like there's no way to enjoy a slow-burn horror/thriller in the theater these days when there are more than three people in the room. 

Yeah It Follows was completely ruined for me when I saw it in the theaters due to some kids sneaked in and were laughing or giggling for 98% of the movie.  Hard to get into a movie that depends on atmosphere and such with that going on, so I get it.

Movies shouldn't be judged on what a bunch of studio suits decided to market it as. They should be judged based solely on the content within. If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. What was advertised has nothing to do with what the filmmakers made. They usually have zero say in marketing. Their art shouldn't be judged because it wasn't exactly what you expected, it should be judged if it's good. Now, whether it's a good movie or not I don't know, I'm not seeing it till later. But hating a movie because it wasn't exactly what you expected and wanted going in seems reductive af to me. To each their own, though.

• Like 12