Jayhawk the Hutt

It Comes at Night | June 9, 2017 | A24 | Teaser in First Post

On 2017-06-10 at 1:47 PM, EmpireCity said:

I don't really blame A24 for doing this.  They got the maximum money they could out of the movie.  Everyone who was going to see it saw it and a whole lot of other people did as well.  

I don't condone piracy, but your screw your high horse attitude. The ONLY thing I ask is that studio's advertise the movie for what it is.

Also, calling someone on sack of shit online because you don't agree with them over something cinema related, really? I think your little purple colored name and karma score has gone to your head.

Edited by HesAPooka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HesAPooka said:

I don't condone piracy, but your screw your high horse attitude. The ONLY thing I ask is that studio's advertise the movie for what it is.

Also, calling someone on sack of shit online because you don't agree with them over something cinema related, really? I think your little purple colored name and karma score has gone to your head.

I'll never back off for a second from calling people who pirate and their justifications complete and utter bullshit.  

There's no debate here.  You pirate anywhere other than a 3rd world country, then you are a sack of shit.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'll never back off for a second from calling people who pirate and their justifications complete and utter bullshit.  

There's no debate here.  You pirate anywhere other than a 3rd world country, then you are a sack of shit.  

Oh, that's nice to know!

:sparta:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Oh I'm biting my tongue so hard right now not to respond to this viciously having a family member that worked and lived in Hollywood and hearing of her experiences with high industry people. Please don't ever preach to me about morals in your industry. 

You might get a lot of likes on this forum for your comment but I could give two shits about what you think about me as a person. You will never change my mind about the inner dealings of your industry. 

This is why I left this forum for months. This echo chamber mentality. It's fine that you have a problem with piracy but you want me shamed for even suggesting it? Oh yeah the studio should just be able to mislead people, as long as they get their fucking money back that's all that matters right? Who cares that they didn't deliver the product that they promised audiences.

That's all I'm saying. I'm dropping it. I know how this forum feels about that subject which is why I never bring it up here.

Again, movies aren't required viewing.  If you feel you got deceived then there are very easy and correct ways to deal with it.  Walk to the box office, ask for a manager, tell them you feel bamboozled and ask for a refund.  99% of managers will give you a refund or pass to come and see another movie.  Then make a note of the movie, studio, marketing team and anyone involved and don't support their future work with your money.  Problem solved.   

What you don't have the right to do is use this as an excuse to start stealing and pirating content.  It's absurd.  Sorry about what your family member went through (whatever that was and not sure how it relates to the advertising campaign on a movie), but that doesn't give you a right to steal or pirate either.  

That isn't an echo chamber, it is common sense and not breaking the law.  People who knowingly and willingly steal and pirate should be shamed.  Sorry.  

• Like 5

I'm probably about to repeat a lot of my points from December (which is when I had a lot of anti-piracy tirades), but I honestly could not give less of a shit how you see a movie...as long as you legally purchase it or stream it.  Want to watch it on cable TV, HBO, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Google Play, iTunes, the theater, I don't give a shit.  Just at least watch it LEGALLY.  You're cheating artists out of money that should've been theirs because you feel the need to fucking steal.  Art needs to be preserved and supported, not tossed around as if it's disposable.  If you don't like the film, then that's fine too.  Just say "Man, I'm not wasting money to see that again," and move on with your life.  Or have a better understanding on what you're getting into when walking into the theater or renting a movie.

There's a whole mentality from a lot of pirates that goes something like this: "Oh, it's only one person, how will this hurt sales?"  The thing is: It adds up.  In 2015, Interstellar was downloaded 46.8M times alone.  This, of course, does not count pirating from 2014, pirating from 2016 and later, and the people who streamed it on a website instead of full-on downloading it.  That's fucking sad.  46.8M, and probably more, people didn't want to experience Interstellar in the way it was supposed to be experienced: The theater, on your TV, or just anywhere that isn't on a piracy website in low quality.  That's a lot of money down the drain from people who just couldn't cough up, at the bare minimum, $3.

47 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

How though?  The film is obviously low-budget, and has more than likely already made its money back.

Also, It Follows made 14M on a 2M budget.  Once again, not a flop.

Yeah. That comment was silly. Essentially impossible for stuff like The Witch, It Follows and It Comes At Night to flop given how modest the budgets are for them. They'd have to gross sub-5M to be a flop.

But lower the budget the less the production budget matter in is breaking point formula, low budget horror that get wide release will have 80-90% of the budget spent on the releasing.

If a 2 million budget horror spend 15, 35 or even 50 million on marketing, obviously it does not follow the same rules of thumb than a 200 million budget movie than spent only 122 million on marketing.

• Like 2

Obviously, a 2 million horror film from A24 doesn't have the same marketing budget of a 2 million horror film from Paramount or WB. I very much doubt A24 spent double of whatever the budget for ICATN is on advertising. 

Edited by Goffe

40 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Obviously, a 2 million horror film from A24 doesn't have the same marketing budget of a 2 million horror film from Paramount or WB. I very much doubt A24 spent double of whatever the budget for ICATN is on advertising. 

ICAN had a budget of 5M, and looking at iSpot TV airings, A24 has only aired commercials for this 28 times! It's a movie that relied solely on viral marketing and WOM.

8 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Just made one little edit. Now it's perfect.

Starring Orson Welles....and you find out what comes at Moonlight is a sled named Rosebud.