Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

"Inventive" means "dependent on execution". Execs don't want that. 

That's freakin funny. They don't want inventiveness even on a cheap budget but greenlight expensive crap no problem even though their market research couldn't possibly justify it. Like, what survey showed that someone is clamoring for Alice in Wonderland 2? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Wait ASSASSIN'S CREED is getting a sequel? Really???

Not yet but it's a given. Just look at Terminator movies. The franchise gave us 2 movie classics and than it was downhill from there including the boxoffice. They are not giving up. 

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not yet but it's a given. Just look at Terminator movies. The franchise gave us 2 movie classics and than it was downhill from there including the boxoffice. They are not giving up. 

With those numbers Assassin's Creed is never getting a sequel. Its last hope was China and it's just gotten overshadowed over there by Resident Evil of all things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

With those numbers Assassin's Creed is never getting a sequel. Its last hope was China and it's just gotten overshadowed over there by Resident Evil of all things.

It only made 1.7x it's budget. It needed like 2.5x, due to international markets. 

I don't see how Sony could even fathom a sequel.

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's freakin funny. They don't want inventiveness even on a cheap budget but greenlight expensive crap no problem even though their market research couldn't possibly justify it. Like, what survey showed that someone is clamoring for Alice in Wonderland 2? 

They do, Get Out got a distribution deal with Universal, Split too, Don't breathe was a Sony movie, except for Disney they are all doing it. For the non disney studio, most of their movie are not giant budget. Many of those cheap horror you have in mind are studio backed and studio distributed.

Studio do those survey but do not release them. When they greenlighted Alice 2 in 2012, I'm sure survey did show a lot of interest, that movie was such a safe bet that even with a terrible reception it did 300 million WW. When a movie achieve to be in the top 30 of the year's with a terrible 30%RT score, it was certainly not a dumb bet by the studio.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They do, Get Out got a distribution deal with Universal, Split too, Don't breathe was a Sony movie, except for Disney they are all doing it. For the non disney studio, most of their movie are not giant budget. Many of those cheap horror you have in mind are studio backed and studio distributed.

Studio do those survey but do not release them. When they greenlighted Alice 2 in 2012, I'm sure survey did show a lot of interest, that movie was such a safe bet that even with a terrible reception it did 300 million WW. When a movie achieve to be in the top 30 of the year's with a terrible 30%RT score, it was certainly not a dumb bet by the studio.

I really appreciate the analysis you've been doing so far. Very balanced and fact-based

5 minutes ago, franfar said:

I really appreciate the analysis you've been doing so far. Very balanced and fact-based

Yeah, @Barnackhas been an amazing addition to this forum. I still remember his first post on the Passengers thread in the international forums, such an amazingly informative first post! I'm pretty sure I gave him his first or second like over here and his "welcome to the forum" post.

• Like 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

Yeah, @Barnackhas been an amazing addition to this forum. I still remember his first post on the Passengers thread in the international forums, such an amazingly informative first post! I'm pretty sure I gave him his first or second like over here and his "welcome to the forum" post.

If more of the IMDb refugees are as informative as him, maybe I won't be so damn hostile. :ph34r:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Is Jordan Peele an A-list director already? :ph34r:

I can only hope he gets the vaunted "Visionary Director" tag in the trailer for his next movie...

Depends on how well his follow-up film does. He definitely has a bright future, though. 

Horror and thrillers are budgeted so that they'll make money no matter what, I suspect the studio spends more on P&A.

It doesn't mean they're going to stop making blockbusters just because a few horrrors and thrillers have done well because blockbusters do make money and have ancillary revenue but unless you're Disney, it's not cost effective to have solely blockbusters so studios balance with cheaper genres which hopefully will be profitable. Look at Warner Bros/New Line, their summer slate last year  was a mix of horror, comedy and a romantic drama and all were profitable. 

7 minutes ago, Fifty Shades Rth said:

Fri looking like

GO 10.8, LBM 4.2, FSD 3, JW2/TGW 2.4, HF 1.7

So about 28-34M for Get Out then depending on how Sunday holds because of the Oscars. Lego Batman slightly higher than Spongebob, probably a 17-17.5M weekend, FSD lower than The Vow should be 9M.

• Like 2