Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

1 minute ago, franfar said:

In my eyes, if the movie doesn't get 200m DOM, then it's a disappointment, esp. considering how famous the character is

To me anything under $150M is a disappointment.

• Like 1

Kong might be a famous character, but he's not really relevant to anyone within my generation (18-35), and older adults have lots of other March options. I mean I like King Kong, but it's an old fashioned character from a long time ago. Godzilla is more modern because at least he's an icon and symbol for an entire country. IDK, I think anything over 100 would be a resounding success at this point. I'm expecting ID42 numbers for that one at best. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Kong might be a famous character, but he's not really relevant to anyone within my generation (18-35), and older adults have lots of other March options. I mean I like King Kong, but it's an old fashioned character from a long time ago. Godzilla is more modern because at least he's an icon and symbol for an entire country. IDK, I think anything over 100 would be a resounding success at this point. I'm expecting ID42 numbers for that one at best. 

Image result for eat your vegetables gif

The tables are about to be turned.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Image result for eat your vegetables gif

The tables are about to be turned.

I'm bearish on Kong in general but also shockingly bullish on Power Rangers. IDK, there's just always a ton of buzz when the trailer airs. My brother and his best friend, two men in their 30s with children and jobs, are going to see it at midnight and have called it their most anticipated movie in years - and all their friends seem to agree. The Power Rangers property has a really strong hold on people 25-35, and like with something Jurassic World on a smaller scale, that generation now has little kids they could take to see it and love it. All anecdotal but empirical data like trailer views and online discussions seem to back it up. Maybe I should start a Power Rangers > Kong OW and domestic club, but idk if that's too easy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm bearish on Kong in general but also shockingly bullish on Power Rangers. IDK, there's just always a ton of buzz when the trailer airs. My brother and his best friend, two men in their 30s with children and jobs, are going to see it at midnight and have called it their most anticipated movie in years - and all their friends seem to agree. The Power Rangers property has a really strong hold on people 25-35, and like with something Jurassic World on a smaller scale, that generation now has little kids they could take to see it and love it. All anecdotal but empirical data like trailer views and online discussions seem to back it up. Maybe I should start a Power Rangers > Kong OW and domestic club, but idk if that's too easy. 

I've never understood the mass appeal of Power Rangers but it would be foolish to underestimate the fanbase.

Generation Y was pretty damn obsessive about the show and they're bringing their kids.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I didn't realize Kong flick did mega numbers? Even the uber-hyped Pete Jackson Kong barely cleared $200M during the holiday season.

Come on now, you re a BOT member, you should know better.

Peter Jackson s Kong was 12 years ago.

The movie was a big succes, 5th of the year Dom & WW.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I didn't realize Kong flick did mega numbers? Even the uber-hyped Pete Jackson Kong barely cleared $200M during the holiday season.

Yeah, it was considered a big surprise when the first Chronicles of Narnia beat Jackson's King Kong as the big movie of the holidays that year, and by a comfortable margin too.

• Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

How successful was the one from the 70s with Bridges and Lange? To me, Kong's like Godzilla. Not all of 'em are huge hits. And, Jackson's was adored by critics, followed his ridiculous bankable and acclaimed LOTR series and was released for the holiday season. I recall people expected more...

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

King Kong 2005 numbers were average at best. It should've done better and that's exactly what was in discussion at that time. Holiday legs barely saved it, it had an awful OW almost everywhere. In fact nobody expected Narnia to be the higest grossing movie during that holidays even if it was released like 10 days before Kong's Wednesday opening.

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I remember on the original BOM forums how disappointed most people were when those King Kong weekend numbers came out.

Predictions and tracking were through the roof.

There was a great throwback thread which we unfortunately lost the content of when the forum upgraded

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

To me anything under $150M is a disappointment.

Realistically, with Get Out breaking out and likely doing $80 million+ DOM, Logan getting stellar buzz/reviews, B&tB set to do huge numbers and Power Rangers possibly surprising like TMNT did in 2014, anything over $100 million DOM is solid for Kong (and Ghost in the Shell, too). The market will be too crowded for it to develop any real late legs (by weeks 3 and 4, it'll lose a chunk of its screens to PR/Ghost/Boss Baby/Life/CHiPs)

It's not just Kong, though. I also think Ghost in the Shell and Boss Baby will be hurt by Logan/B&tB/Power Rangers becoming the top three films for the overall spring break period.

I see the March slate performing like this:

Spoiler
  1. Beauty & The Beast: $550 million
  2. Logan: $220 million
  3. Power Rangers: $140 million
  4. Kong - Skull Island: $85 million
  5. Ghost in the Shell: $80 million
  6. The Boss Baby: $70 million
  7. Life: $50 million
  8. The Shack: $45 million
  9. CHiPs: $30 million
  10. The Zookeeper's Wife: $20 million
  11. Before I Fall: $10 million
  12. Step Sisters: $10 million
  13. The Belko Experiment: $5 million

At the very least, March 2017 should be much more well-rounded than last March, especially if Kong/Ghost/Power Rangers all do $100-125 million DOM.

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1