CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

So sad for the La La Land team, what they went through must have been horrible.

And yup, this is just a stupid over the top course correction for #Oscarsowhite, @Oscarsostraight, @AmericasoTrump, @AmericaSoRepublican etc etc etc

You won't convince me that 70yo white male basics voted for Moonlight out of love for its cinematic mastery.

Half of them (let s say at least 1/3) probably didn't see the movie entirely or at all.

This win was 90% political and 10% artistic.

Plus, nobody saw Moonlight among the GA.

(one of the) Lowest grossing best picture winner ever.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

No I mean I really don't get it.  I don't see color when I watch a movie, I see either good cinema or bad cinema and it annoys me when people just refer to something as a "black film" solely cause it has a majority black cast.  I don't hear people going around saying something is a "white film."

While I get your point, how can you not see color when it comes to Moonlight? It very much was a movie not just about the black experience in America or the gay experience in America but the black gay experience in America.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Wait a second, Emma Stone had her own card on herself? So what happened here, they had a copy of her card with them or something? Odd.

there's two accountants for every oscar show and they both carry their own complete set of cards in case the other one fucks up so they know. they've done it that way for decades. one of them fucked up.

Edited by CoolioD1

Let the record show... I called it first.

On 11/9/2016 at 8:50 AM, Blankments said:

I know this is reactionary, and hopefully not too soon... but I feel like Moonlight's narrative just got a lot more powerful in the face of the election results. Still need to see the film, but Hollywood is pissed much like most of us here, and rewarding a film about a gay black man finding himself and the beauty of that could be a way they stick it in the face of a suddenly predominantly racist and homophobic government.

No I mean I really don't get it.  I don't see color when I watch a movie, I see either good cinema or bad cinema and it annoys me when people just refer to something as a "black film" solely cause it has a majority black cast.  I don't hear people going around saying something is a "white film."

Ok, obtuse may have been the wrong wording. I think they use the term to describe a film that emphasizes black struggle and culture. You don't have to see color, but your reasoning for the title is off.

i don't get why whenever someone mentions color it's all of a sudden a bad thing to y'all. i just said it was a black film, get over it lol

I guarantee you none of the people saying "Moonlight won because it is about gay and black people!!" probably never saw the fucking movie. Grow up. It's well deserved. So is La La Land. Both of them are top 5 Best Pic winners of the past 15 years, frankly. We should be happy that good movies exist. Saying a movie won just because of what it was about without watching it makes you look ignorant.

• Like 6

You can say you're colorblind all you want, just realize that our society by and large does not see it that way

That's why these types of movies are made, so to represent common bonding experiences

It's an admirable stance, but it's just....not really effective

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

It won precisely because it was black and gay, it was literally oscar bait the movie 

Have you actually seen Moonlight?  It's most definitely not Oscar bait, and is one of the most inspired wins in Oscar history (and again, I preferred La La Land to Moonlight).

As much as I loved La La Land, that movie was Oscar Bait the movie, only the Academy didn't take it.

• Like 7

even if it was the wrong envelope.....  I had Moonlight finishing in 5th place.  Hidden Figures seemed the be the dark horse.  Arrival probably made many #1's and was ranked high up there.  Hacksaw Ridge got that long standing ovation at the film festivals.  Lion I also had finishing above Moonlight.  I wish we could see a breakdown.

• Like 1

Just now, boomboom234 said:

It won precisely because it was black and gay, it was literally oscar bait the movie 

Dude, I love La La Land but it looks like a movie ensembled to win Best Picture. You can't really call one film with a gay black lead bait while defending the other.