FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

6 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

THAT CURE FOR WELLNESS DROP.

@CJohn how does it feel that Meet Dave got crossed twice this year so far?

Is that the biggest third weekend drop ever for a movie that went wide in its first weekend? It has to be.

If there's something to be said about 2017's box office so far, it's that the small-scale blockbuster is still very much alive. We've seen $158m+ for Hidden Figures, $145m+ for La La Land, $134m+ for Split, and now Get Out is making a serious play for $175m+. All of them had budgets at or below $30m. Even smaller franchise blockbusters like John Wick ($40m) and Fifty Shades ($55m) have done killer business. And now Logan, a relatively cheap superhero film at $97m, just opened to $88m. Proof that studios don't need to have a giant $200m+ budget for a film to be good and handsomely profitable.

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Eevin said:

If there's something to be said about 2017's box office so far, it's that the small-scale blockbuster is still very much alive. We've seen $158m+ for Hidden Figures, $145m+ for La La Land, $134m+ for Split, and now Get Out is making a serious play for $175m+. All of them had budgets at or below $30m. Even smaller franchise blockbusters like John Wick ($40m) and Fifty Shades ($55m) have done killer business. And now Logan, a relatively cheap superhero film at $97m, just opened to $88m. Proof that studios don't need to have a giant $200m+ budget for a film to be good and handsomely profitable.

I was convinced that the sleeper hit was dead and buried. The last few years had a striking lack of such small-budget-out-of-nowhere-hits. 

I am still not convinced that this marks "a turn of the tide" so to speak. This maybe just flash in the pan. Maybe not, we shall see...

6 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I was convinced that the sleeper hit was dead and buried. The last few years had a striking lack of such small-budget-out-of-nowhere-hits. 

I am still not convinced that this marks "a turn of the tide" so to speak. This maybe just flash in the pan. Maybe not, we shall see...

I don't think the small-scale hit is ever going to return to the way it was. There's too much focus on building the next franchise, maintaining the current franchise, etc. that there's not enough room for them to exist like before, especially in the era of the year-round blockbuster. What's encouraging is that audiences are seeking out these films, and that there's still a market for them. I hope studios can learn something from that.

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well she did only have like three minutes of screentime.

I'll give Apocalypse this. It tried to develop more X-Men and even attempted to give Cyclops a larger role, it's just a shame that the film around is quite underwhelming. 

And that's exactly why Apocalypse underwhelmes, because it gives equal importance to a dozen characters, way more than one film can handle. 

Had it stuck with just one or two plot threads, like Scott discovering and learning to control his powers or Jean dealing with her shit or Storm's from petty thief to villain to x-man arc or JLaw hero worship plotline or Quicksilver daddy issues or even Magneto's manpain again, we would have gotten a stronger film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

And that's exactly why Apocalypse underwhelmes, because it gives equal importance to a dozen characters, way more than one film can handle. 

Had it stuck with just one or two plot threads, like Scott discovering and learning to control his powers or Jean dealing with her shit or Storm's from petty thief to villain to x-man arc or JLaw hero worship plotline or Quicksilver daddy issues or even Magneto's manpain again, we would have gotten a stronger film.

I actually have no issue with an X-Men film having several characters in prominent roles. In fact, I've wanted the X-Men to feel like a team for a while now. My issue with the film had more to do with the overall story being underwhelming, and Apocalypse seriously getting the shaft as an actual villain. So much potentially great storytelling seriously wasted. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It feels like ACFW came out ages ago, not 2 and a half weeks ago :wintf:

How did ACFW not lose any screens this weekend? I'm sure they'll all be gone this weekend. $31,000 while in 2,700 theaters... crazy!

Just now, Aplandg said:

How did ACFW not lose any screens this weekend? I'm sure they'll all be gone this weekend. $31,000 while in 2,700 theaters... crazy!

Oh it lost a bunch of theaters; BOM is just under the temporary reign of Keith Simanton right now, who is notorious for making tons of errors back in 2015.