franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

I think it's pretty clear they're not reflective of the overall consensus considering the average rating after the first 10 reviews (and 40%) is 6.9/10, that's a mighty fine average for such a low percentage.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

One of the first reviews was quite literally from someone who gave it a 0/5.  It's clear that they're outliers and the overall consensus for the film is that it's excellent.

Whoever gave it 0/5 doesn't appreciate talent like Spielberg, Hanks and Streep

I'm looking forward to this - a sizzling film from Spielberg with Streep and Hanks? Sign me up. The random early reviews clearly weren't representative of overall sentiment, as the film has climbed up to 84% on RT and 82 on Metacritic.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

10 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's up to 77% on RT's, and a top critics ratings at 100% after seven reviews. I'm guessing the first batch of negative reviews were from irrelevant sources, and they thought it was "boring". 

Recent Spielberg s dad movies are quite sleep inducing so it seems Panama Papers is another winner in that department.

I barely made it through the end of the trailer, felt sleepy 45 seconds in.

13 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Up to 84 on RT and 82 on MC. Seems like the early pans were outliers after all. Meryl haters perhaps? 

The 0/5 review blurb:

Streep, as usual, is all hand gestures and eye flutters, speaking softly while carrying a big shtick.”

Also I hate to be that one guy who looks at old reviews, but one quick look at his profile and dude also gave a 1.5/5 for The Shining, 1/5 for La La Land, and 1/5 for Jackie.  He clearly doesn’t line up with the popular consensus on a lot of films.

Edited by That One Guy

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The 0/5 review blurb:

Streep, as usual, is all hand gestures and eye flutters, speaking softly while carrying a big shtick.”

Also I hate to be that one guy who looks at old reviews, but one quick look at his profile and dude also gave a 1.5/5 for The Shining, 1/5 for La La Land, and 1/5 for Jackie.  He clearly doesn’t line up with the popular consensus on a lot of films.

How are these randoms allowed on there? 

• Like 3

At this point, it's redundant to hail Spielberg’s direction or Hank’s Performance or Streep’s performance because they’re a trifecta of brilliance.

One of the most interesting things about the movie is how the film depicts journalists and the people who run the newsroom for they are practically spies. Seriously, a lot of the first half of this movie is the Washington Post sending their people out to other news sources to check out the competition. Spielberg has news reporting into an espionage game. He makes this similar to “Bridge of Spies,” and some of that film’s cast appears in this as well.

The well informed detailed screenwriting writing by Josh Singer and Liz Hannah is brilliantly decided to make elements of this story feel whole. Singer who is known best for being 1/2 of the screenwriting duo behind 2015’s Best Picture winner “Spotlight,’ you can tell wrote the moments of intensity where it deals with these characters going out to find the Pentagon Papers and fighting for the freedom of the press. Its nature of fighting for truth and justice is very reminiscent of "Spotlight," and that is done through Singer. Hannah is EVERYTHING ELSE! This is Hannah’s first feature film that she single-handedly wrote, and the passion she put into this script is really there. From the characters to the message to the procedure of obtaining the papers: this is all Hannah. Read several articles about her underdog story of how she got her script to be directed by Spielberg and it will move and inspire you to write your story. 

We’ve seen Streep at every variation from confident to vulnerable to weak to strong. This is a character that is full of life but at the same time full of inner conflict as she questions whether to run the Pentagon Papers story or not and this performance she gives is incredible. It is a journey to self-discovery as we see her go out of her way to risk the reputation of the company vs. what she believes is right. By God, Streep has a scene where she delivers a speech of triumph, and I challenge you not to scream YAS QWEEN by the time it ended of it because I know I did, and so did five other people in my theater. And this was at a guild screening. Shoot you will turn into to the Meryl Streep meme to Meryl Streep.

giphy-downsized-large.gif?format=750w

FULL REVIEW HERE: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-post-review

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it's great. Takes awhile to get going but the 3rd act comes together very nicely.  Streep is obviously great, and pretty understated. People are gonna love Hank's accent in this. Pretty sure it magically appears the second scene he's in, but I could have just misheard. Obviously a lot of the cast doesn't get much to do, but they do very well with what they've got. Ending is essentially a Nick Fury-esque tease for the rest of the WaPoCU.