franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

Just now, franfar said:

Comparing the NBR and Oscar for Best Picture since 2000, they've only aligned twice: No Country for Old Men, and Slumdog Millionaire.

Let's face reality: One thing that "The Post" has in it's favor is that it is widely seen as a slap in the fact to Trump...and yes, there are award voters who will vote for it for that very reason.

I hate Trump as much as anybody, but I also think voting for a movie for any reason other then it's qualities as a film is stupid.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

Comparing the NBR and Oscar for Best Picture since 2000, they've only aligned twice: No Country for Old Men, and Slumdog Millionaire.

Lol that's a great stat. 

The movie still gives me Lincoln/Bridge of Spies vibes, which were fine and well crafted but I'm just not that high on Spielberg anymore. Still I think he had a graceful decline over the last decade (way more graceful than most of his peers).

9 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

And to think a couple posters here were claiming/spreading rumors earlier this fall that this film was getting mediocre reactions from early screenings.

:hahaha::hahaha:

Never doubt Da Berg.

Guilty. It was much more cause the script than the reports though. Shoulda never doubted. 

This is encouraging, small award show & all, but it could make a difference. The NBR nominated some films that won't gain any major awards at this point though, so I'd still take it with a grain of salt though. Cool!

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

This is the first real acting award Hanks has won for anything in 17 years.

It's such a shame that he was snubbed for Captain Phillips & even Bridge of Spies. 

• Like 2

It has extremely positive reviews from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Indiewire, Slate, Village Voice, and Vanity Fair. These reviews on RT are mostly from places I've never heard of. I wasn't in love with the script but I really don't think the reviews there now are reflective of critical consensus. 

• Like 1