DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

If it matches Godzilla then it will have reached a bigger audience, but that won't make it more profitable which is the success that bishop54 was referring to. Exchange rates make things unfair and not directly comparable.

I agree. But Hollywood studios surely take currency fluctuations into account. They are in this business long-term and know that a movie's performance in local currency is of extreme importance. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I'm doubtful it can even reach those numbers.  WB and Lionsgate are polar opposites at times for marketing.  Whereas WB has been known for getting Batman v. Superman, Suicide Squad, and now Kong, to open very well, outside of the smaller budgeted productions, Lionsgate has been known to do the opposite, and get their movies to open worse: Allegiant last year is a good example.  It may be anecdotal, but here are two tweets I saw about an important audience the Power Rangers movie needs to have.  Again, the reactions may be different elsewhere, but based on some of the other statistics I'm seeing so far, I'll trust my feelings on this:

I will say, though, the weekend thread for March 24 should be fascinating here, with CJohn's and Gokira2012's strong stances on Power Rangers.

I have no strong stance against Power Rangers. I think it will be a bomb, but we will see. Hopefully I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I gave my kids the option of seeing Batb next week or boss baby at the end of the month and they chose Boss baby. I've seen every kids movie over the last year or so in theatres and every time boss baby trailer plays it gets good reactions. I think you maybe be right. 

And that would also slow down Power Rangers in its second weekend as well, should Boss Baby do well.

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

I need GITS to succeed. I want a Hollywood adaptation of Attack on Titan already! 

Japan and Hollywood keep doing the wrong movies. Ghost in The Shell should've been a japanese production while Attack on Titan should've been an American one. Ah well

Another nice weekend at the box office.

Kong smashed expectations, and should make a domestic total between $155-$165 million. 

Logan had the best hold for a Wolverine stand alone film, and should make at least a domestic take of $215-$220 million. 

Get Out is yet holding up strong again, and should continue to play strong for the rest of the month, and is the fifth film to pass $100 million this year already! Look for Get Out to close its doors around a domestic take of $160 million. 

The Shack had a decent hold as well for a Christian flick, and should make a domestic take of at least $50 million. 

As for the others, everything else was strong this weekend. Hidden Figures and La La Land still hanging out in the top 10. 

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, anyone thinking Boss Baby might surprise despite BatB? Maybe it's just me but when I'm at work people, not just kids, seem pretty interested. I'm going to say 39/125

Yeah, I see this happening, a Trolls style run wouldn't surprise me.

2 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

And that would also slow down Power Rangers in its second weekend as well, should Boss Baby do well.

My kids (9 and 12) have zero interest in power rangers. 

6 minutes ago, MattW said:

If it matches Godzilla then it will have reached a bigger audience, but that won't make it more profitable which is the success that bishop54 was referring to. Exchange rates make things unfair and not directly comparable.

For distributors with a local presence, dollar value doesn't matter much since their spend and recovery is both in local currency. WB distributes around the world themselves through local offices. The only place it will impact is the overall Time Warner balance sheet which is drawn in dollars.

• Like 2

The only thing Power Rangers had going for it is its nostalgic factor which imo is going to be nonexistent once BATB comes out. It has no known actors so we can't say so and so's fans will go out to see it. Kids these days know of the Power Rangers because of the action figures and cartoons but I don't think they'll be so hell bent on seeing a movie about them. I feel like any hype the PR had once the trailers dropped is gone now and I personally don't see how they build it back up again when everyone and their mom is going to be focusing on BATB. 

The one thing GITS has going for it that PR doesn't have is it has a well known actress that can put some butts in the seats. No im

not expecting anything huge for GITS but I think Scarjo has the ability to get a $20M+ OW for an action movie, which is what GITS looks like for folks who know nothing about the original property. 

• Like 1

March was ridiculous from start. Power Rangers, Life and Ghost in the Shell will suffer from the huge numbers of Logan, Kong and BatB (February's holdhover Get Out still over 20M this far into March doesn't help them either). There would be no way this would all work out well for everyone with so many tentpole releases in back-to-back weekends.

• Like 1

Get Out is a monster. I honestly thought the plot would alienate white audiences, but I am happy that it has become a smash. Logan, on the other hand, is not the monstet I thought it would be. Kinda makes a case for audiences indeed preferring sunny, colorful CBMs (although that would not explain the commercial success of BvS and MOS). Clearly, GOTG2 and WW, both of which look like more wide-eyed, optimistic, traditional CBMs will do better. 

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

March was ridiculous from start. Power Rangers, Life and Ghost in the Shell will suffer from the huge numbers of Logan, Kong and BatB (February's holdhover Get Out still over 20M this far into March doesn't help them either).

I think Ghost in the Shell will be a hit. Especially OS, just recall Lucy. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Does anyone else get the feeling CHiPs could be a monster bomb? My audience at Kong laughed at the trailer, but that weekend is fucking stacked.

wait... Is it coming out this month too? LMAO