franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

I feel it is a tad extreme but if I was in Disney's position I probably would have done the same thing. Then again I would have also asked Gunn to wipe his whole twitter feed before he got hired in the first place. Hopefully Gunn will learn through his experience. A shame for him as he was pretty much handed the keys to the MCU Cosmic Realm for what they were gonna do with Phase 4. I would love Taika to come back but if he did I wouldn't expect Vol 3 to be in the same vein as Vol 1 and Vol 2. 

I think in 10 years, any number of things you post right now could be interpreted way differently. Many years ago people used to say "thats so gay!" as an insult. Now it's totally not OK and would get you labeled a homophobe. You could also make jokes about prison rape, pedophilia and all sort of things on network TV. Cultural evolution happens.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pandamia! said:

I’m of the opinion that it’s a little ridiculous   that the people who are “outing” Gunn for something he tweeted a decade ago defend people like Roy Moore and Trump on the basis of “That was years ago!  They’ve changed since then!”

And Roy Moore and Trump actually committed actions, not just inappropriate tweets.

People did the same for roman polanski for decades from the left too.

Thats the problem with political corectness it is never evenly applied and frankly the defenders of political correctness know that but dont care because they themselves selectively apply politcal correctness when its suits their agenda.

Edited by Lordmandeep

15 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

People did the same for roman polanski for decades from the left too.

Thats the problem with political corectness it is never evenly applied and frankly the defenders of political correctness know that but dont care because they themselves selectively apply politcal correctness when its suits their agenda.

Except Roman Polanski wasn’t political correctness.  Polanski was a crime, and yes it was not excusable for his crime to be dismissed.

Gunn’s actions were grossly innapropriate jokes on the internet

Unless something else is coming or it is indeed a political move, firing him is a bit overboard considering he apologized way before doing GOTG

We need to wait and see how it plays out. Disney handled Lasseter and Roseanne really good (in different ways ofc)

5 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Unless something else is coming or it is indeed a political move, firing him is a bit overboard considering he apologized way before doing GOTG

We need to wait and see how it plays out. Disney handled Lasseter and Roseanne really good (in different ways ofc)

The FOX deal has to be on their minds. It's so close to being done, they really did not need anything getting in their way like this.

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Marvel is owned by Disney but there's no Disney branding on the movies themselves.  Disney had no qualms about owning Miramax in the 90s/2000s, despite the fact that the division released Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Clerks, Kill Bill, Scary Movie, etc.

But MCU itself has a really strong family friendly branding to protect also.

Has for the no qualms that is not 100% true, they tried hard to not distribute/stop production some of the movies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_9/11#Production) and didn't distribute some of them like harmony Korine was too out there Kids that the Weinstein bought back and distributed themselves and Dogma fearing the religious crowd reaction (they had Lions gates distribute it).

https://www.eonline.com/news/37986/miramax-disney-dogged-by-dogma

The Mouse roared...and Miramax blinked.

In an attempt to shield the Walt Disney Co. from potential backlash over the upcoming satire Dogma, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, cochairs of the Mouse-owned "indie" studio Miramax, have decided to form their own company to acquire the film.

The brothers Weinstein personally will shell out about $10 million for the rights to Dogma, then find another studio to distribute the Kevin Smith (Clerks, Chasing Amy) flick.

"Disney is a target that's too vulnerable in a situation like this," Harvey Weinstein says in the Los Angeles Times. "They make family movies, and a protest could hurt them unnecessarily...We said, 'If this is a corporate problem for [Disney], let's solve it for them.' "

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Isn't Gunn on the directors roundtable feature for Infinity War DVD/Blu ray? Will he be replaced by Christopher Plummer?

Say what you want but the MCU owes him a great deal.

Historically, Guardians was the third most important MCU film until IW.

GOTG helped the MCU brand a lot in many ways.

A project few people believed in that became pop culture the summer it was released.

The space opera aspects infused in Infinity War worked beautifully. 

Edited by The Futurist

don't worry guys, they're going after Sean Gunn now too, so we won't have to worry about Kraglin:

Love that tweets from 2009 back before any of these people even knew what a Guardian of the Galaxy was can destroy their career!!

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

don't worry guys, they're going after Sean Gunn now too, so we won't have to worry about Kraglin:

Love that tweets from 2009 back before any of these people even knew what a Guardian of the Galaxy was can destroy their career!!

You have to admit it is weird  why these Gunn people seem to have this strange fetish 

Edited by John Marston

The stupidity of mob rule and public shaming between spiteful crowds. "You found some dirt on a conservative so now I'm going to find some dirt on a liberal" and on and on it goes.

Imo people shouldn't be fired for saying something outrageous or offensive before they even took their current job.

Edited by Cynosure

I don't care that those tweets where a million years ago or who resurface those. The stuff that James Gunn wrote in those tweet are straight up disgusting.

And to make matters worse, it wasn't just a couple of "edgy" tweets, he wrote 10,000 tweets joking about raping and jerking off to little boys. That shit is just not normal.

I world not be surprised if the FBI is investigating this guy right now.