franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I suppose Gunn getting fired over his tweets does raise the question as to why shows like South Park, Rick and Morty and Family Guy (which pretty much no one talks about anymore) are still on the air, and why there wasn’t any outrage over the jokes in the Deadpool movies. 

Because people only get outraged over things when it's time to fit their agenda. 

Getting outraged over those shows having those jokes doesn't do anything. But the MAGA crowd riling up a storm and getting outraged over the tweets that Gunn sent out years ago, allows them to gain an upper hand of sorts since Gunn has been very critical of Trump and is obviously a liberal. 

They dont actually care that Gunn made those jokes. If they actually cared about these issues they wouldn't have voted for a person who has been accused of rape and pedophilia. What they care about is getting back at the left. That's all there is to their "outrage."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

What is the difference between

being fired by your employer for something you said

or

being judged by a court of law for something you said ?

I don't see any.

Disney acted like a Judge and carried the sentence according to the Current Law.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

y'all can make fun of him for The Dark Tower all you want but the true mastermind always wins in the end.

Rothman allowed for the Disney/Fox merger to happen because he was planning for this. The upcoming Marvel/Dark Tower cinematic universe is gonna be lit as fuck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I can't keep up with the categorization of online personas, are Conservatives part of PC culture today.

Well, they're always the ones complaining about PC culture, yet when somebody says something they don't agree with, they also get offended very quickly. In Gunn's case the outrage does seem to come more from the conservative side, though. You're right.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Even saying "freedom of speech is more than just a constitutional amendment, it's a cultural value" is treading on thin ice these days. 

Americans seem to completely conflate freedom of speech with law protecting freedom of speech/first amendment, has if it was the same when it is 2 completely different thing.

Freedom of speech is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation, censorship, or sanction

The law protect you from retaliation from the state yes, but freedom of speech is an international human concept that goes way over the law, same would go from respect and politeness that goes way over what the law describe.

Having retaliation or civil sanction for what you said is absolutely a free speech issue, just not a first amendment issue.

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I suppose Gunn getting fired over his tweets does raise the question as to why shows like South Park, Rick and Morty and Family Guy (which pretty much no one talks about anymore) are still on the air, and why there wasn’t any outrage over the jokes in the Deadpool movies. 

Because their brand is being offensive?

Don't need to over think this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

or

I don't see any.

Disney acted like a Judge and carried the sentence according to the Current Law.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Making animated obvious over the top character (or even a child in case of Cartman) create a distance that augment what is acceptable. 

When your stuff you push is made under your art it augment your liberty, than when it is said by yourself in person and not in character, and for Southpark the satire and the quality is so high that it also help.

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

or

I don't see any.

Many would take 6 month of prison over loosing a career if they had the choice I would think. The carelessness people think and act around people family live hood and life defining career has if it was nothing and less worst than a little bit of prison time is ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Those shows really walk a fine line with their jokes but overall are very funny.

Some of Rick and Morty jokes are so dark if you think about them. 

I think the issue is these directors jokes were not funny.

Its like how Comedians get away with racist jokes because they are funny so they seem like they are making fun of the absurdity of racism. 

When you make unfunny jokes, people take what you say seriously or question the value of saying what you said. 

However I do agree many people saying this director should be fired are mostly hypocrites.

Because you think you have absolutist no tolerance of such stuff but the reality is if you go deep down into people you like or look up to you can diminish them by looking into their past. 

Like Gandhi used to sleep naked with girls under 18 but never did anything to him in order to test his temptation against lust, should we not classify Gandhi as a pedo?

Like if you go down this path where do you end? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, That One Guy said:

Gunn's brand pre-Guardians was being offensive

And that was dropped down the memory hole.  More to the point, it obviously wasn't as well established as the examples given.

Like, say, I don't think folks would be having near the same amount of reaction if this was Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Seth MacFarlane might be more of an edge case, as he's been trying to change his image a bit, but even there it's not quite the same.

Of course I highly doubt Parker and Stone would be given the keys to the type of franchise that Gunn was overseeing.

I think the more prescient example would be/will be Jimmy Kimmel.  He had a long career cultivating a "bad boy" image before moving on to a different entertainment niche.  

It will be... interesting to see what happens, if anything, should skeletons surface from his Man Show days, for instance.