franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

Right now, the only thing potentially saving this from being a big disappointment is that I think it’s far more likely Gunn delivered here than not. He hasn’t really missed yet (quality wise), and I don’t see his big Guardians finale being where he falls apart.

GOTG does at least have the potential to be big based on its prior admissions ceiling. I definitely do think MCU fatigue is real (maybe even more so than general superhero), and it will hurt it at first. But I think great WOM would get most of 1 and 2s audience to show up for it eventually. So maybe it does like 100 OW and then ends up Wonder Womaning it out to like 380 from there or something.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

At this point, opening above Ant-Man 3 with decent word of mouth might as well be considered a win. Superhero fatigue has officially arrived. It wouldn’t surprise me if video game movies become the new thing. 

Only a Few videogames movie can... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exomassey said:

There is just a lack of hype for this. 

I like the Guardians but after Endgame, you sort of just want to move on from all these sequels. Marvel is burning its audience out.

Also the quality issue, if there is any chance this gets mixed/negative and disappointing box office (I don’t think it will), I’m interested to see how Marvel respond if at all.

People after Endgame want to see event movies. he proved it with Spiderman and with Doctor strange

16 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Only a Few videogames movie can... 

I’m not that sure of this honestly. Most major games are going to sell north of 10M copies plus. It comes down to getting quality teams rather than selling the rights off to the highest bidder. Nintendo has stayed very close to the Mario movie. There will be failures but that doesn’t mean there’s not room for success as well.

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

I’m not that sure of this honestly. Most major games are going to sell north of 10M copies plus. It comes down to getting quality teams rather than selling the rights off to the highest bidder. Nintendo has stayed very close to the Mario movie. There will be failures but that doesn’t mean there’s not room for success as well.

Not every Game work for a theatre experience 

9 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Not only would that create more problems for Marvel but DC as well given James Gunn's involvement.

This is, I think, the astonishing thing here.

If it's a failure or just disappointment for GOTG3 and the MCU's most surprising humbling yet, even then DC will have still somehow managed find a way by which they've got more egg on their face than Marvel.

I don't really want to add to this debate any more, so I'll just give my opinions really quickly:

Marvel still has potential to produce crowdpleasers, it just vastly depends on the character. Only the next Avengers films will be the ones to determine, once and for all, if the post-Endgame strategy was worth it. Once that's over with, then the time is right for X-Men's comeback.

DC has more potential than ever before, but it's really tough to say if it'll work out this early on, 'cause their current Phase One film lineup is even more laidback and experimental than Marvel's early phases were.

Sony's SUMC is the one that really isn't doing any favors. Their plan is to pair up a somewhat recognizable actor with a random character who can't sustain a full feature and expect high results. And their big Avengers-style team up event seems to be...what, exactly? A big brawl with Spider-Man? Something else entirely?

But in order for the comic book superhero film bubble to truly burst: something else would have to come in and take its place. 

I haven’t followed this thread at all so it’s funny to jump in to see the pessimistic consensus. 

I’m enjoying marvel’s current doldrums as much as the next onlooker but I must admit I didn’t expect this movie to be one of its victims.

Edited by Hatebox

20 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

This almost feels like Justice League few years. If you go back to tracking thread, chatter was about no way it opens sub 150m. BvS opened to 166 with horrible reviews and JL followed Wonder Woman which had amazing legs domestic. But tracking just went south and it did not even hit 100m. 

Hopefully the reviews are great but I agree with JustLurking that keeping it to 2 days before release is not going to help with its OW BO. They need it out early. 

if this ends up being a justice league then mcu is done ! they may have to reboot it ! cause investing 200m$ won't make sense anymore if this movie fails to make 850m$ ! i hope the reviews r outstanding nd this picks up but rn it's worrying 

Don´t get mad now but just a thought: Gotta say considering there is still no word when the premiere or embargo is, not a great sign... Marvel damn well knows that they need some positive word out and it´s kinda concerning that they´re not doing that. 27th is probably the date and that´s later than Ant-Man 3. Not to be the evil guy here, but could there be a chance this movie might not be that good? I hope I´m wrong because I love the Guardians and really want this to be good. 

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Don´t get mad now but just a thought: Gotta say considering there is still no word when the premiere or embargo is, not a great sign... Marvel damn well knows that they need some positive word out and it´s kinda concerning that they´re not doing that. 27th is probably the date and that´s later than Ant-Man 3. Not to be the evil guy here, but could there be a chance this movie might not be that good? I hope I´m wrong because I love the Guardians and really want this to be good. 

With Marvel there´s no thing as bad sign, the review embargos is always pretty much the same date for all their movies, the good and the bad ones

And the premieres usually depends of how spoilerish the movie is, Guardians have deaths etc so there is a lot to spoil, there´s probably the reason why they´re doing it so late 

But yeah, seeing those presales they should just say ´´fuck it´´ and drop reactions and reviews asap even if spoilers ended up leaking 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, froztking said:

if this ends up being a justice league then mcu is done ! they may have to reboot it ! cause investing 200m$ won't make sense anymore if this movie fails to make 850m$ ! i hope the reviews r outstanding nd this picks up but rn it's worrying 

your expectations are too high. With overseas markets still affected by strong dollar and China/SK in bad shape for MCU, I dont see 850m in play at all for this movie. This is even if domestic performance is good(its too late in the game for this to be great), its not going to make enough OS to hit 850m WW. 

I wonder if Marvels can turn MCU around at least in Korea with Park Seo-Joon in the movie.