franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

11 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

They should have Batgirled Ant-Man 3

The Marvels teaser poster which was released before AM3 has 2M+ likes on 'Marvel' instagram account but now teaser trailer has 40% less likes. AM3 has damaged the brand a lot.

Edited by Willowra

26 minutes ago, Willowra said:

One of the main reasons for this low interest in GOTG3 is Disney's stupid release dates. Ant-Man 3 should have gotten July or Nov date, GOTG3 should have gotten either February or December(in place of Star Wars) release date & The Marvels May date.  Starting phase 5 with Ant-Man 3 was a stupid idea; the movie damaged the hype and interest of both GOTG3 and The Marvels.

Vol.3 as the next MCU movie after BP:WF would have worked much better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Vol.3 as the next MCU movie after BP:WF would have worked much better.

It’s original “first movie after Endgame” plan would have been most ideal, but under its current circumstances yeah it would have been better to follow up WF since both seem to be following similar themes/tones.

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Cinemark must have guaranteed them the extra usual sets they didn't give Marvel...

In a shock for an MCU weekend, that's now FOUR openers for that weekend...gone are the days of the single MCU open...

From Deadline "Competitors on its new weekend include Lionsgate’s action-thriller One Ranger with Thomas Jane and John Malkovich, Disney/Marvel’s franchise ender Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Kino Lorber’s drama Chile ’76."

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

wont help considering it will have to release without most of Imax/PLF. Changing dates in the last minute has its effects. WB can move a smaller movie close by which does not need Imax/PLF.

I don't think WB has any smaller films they can move up. It's not going to happen anyway.

I see the Marvel is dying brigade is out in force.

I can’t believe how far Marvel has fallen in the public eye in just a couple of years. They were the definitive Hollywood juggernaut by the end of the 2010s, and outside of Eternals, that still seemed to be the case by the end of 2021.  

To be clear, I’m not saying Marvel can’t turn things around, but boy is the contrast ever striking. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I can’t believe how far Marvel has fallen in the public eye in just a couple of years. They were the definitive Hollywood juggernaut by the end of the 2010s, and outside of Eternals, that still seemed to be the case by the end of 2021.  

Marvel still has brand value, it's not like Disney will close down Marvel Studios or sell off Marvel, that would be ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I don't think WB has any smaller films they can move up. It's not going to happen anyway.

I see the Marvel is dying brigade is out in force.

I wont say dying. Let us see how next Avengers movie is received before calling that. If anything this shows they need to move up next team up movie. Do we need to wait 3-4 years of movie setup for another team up considering the team is already there. 

But audience are more jaded about SH movies. If anything that is terrible for other studios making them as they have not set it up yet and audience wont go just bcos its a movie about a hero in tights/mask. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I wont say dying. Let us see how next Avengers movie is received before calling that. If anything this shows they need to move up next team up movie. Do we need to wait 3-4 years of movie setup for another team up considering the team is already there. 

But audience are more jaded about SH movies. If anything that is terrible for other studios making them as they have not set it up yet and audience wont go just bcos its a movie about a hero in tights/mask. 

Audiences being more jaded about could also be a positive thing for the genre. It demands more from the studios to make more high quality and not just dump generic movies time and time again.

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Cinemark must have guaranteed them the extra usual sets they didn't give Marvel...

In a shock for an MCU weekend, that's now FOUR openers for that weekend...gone are the days of the single MCU open...

From Deadline "Competitors on its new weekend include Lionsgate’s action-thriller One Ranger with Thomas Jane and John Malkovich, Disney/Marvel’s franchise ender Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Kino Lorber’s drama Chile ’76."

Last year, my 8 screen theatre gave four of them to Doctor Strange.

I imagine Guardians will get two larger ones, but, won't have that lock on theatres we had a year ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

To be clear, I’m not saying Marvel can’t turn things around, but boy is the contrast ever striking. 

I mean, when you hit a very natural endpoint such as Endgame you need a clear plan and to make good decisions to go forward. But that's also hard because you aren't going to know al the factors. They made noises about a clear plan but we just haven't seen it.

I think when we look back on it it's going to become clear that the high volume of D+ shows being a demand that came from outside Marvel and within the top brass were the big issues.

They just haven't been able to make use of their best assets - indeed their best assets were spread completely around and the progress is unwieldy: Agatha becomes a big ol' meme after Wandavision and they commission a series but it won't come out until years after anyone cared. Lightning in a bottle gone. Yelena Belova is the best new character in an age and Flo Pugh is the gal of the moment....but she only gets side roles in team up movies. Shang Chi captures a bit of excitement and....we don't know when we'll even see him next. Oh look, Hayley Steinfeld and Oscar Isaac.....are in series and we miiiight see them again down the road maybe. Probably. Sort of.

I think another of the things that will be spoken of in eventual hindsight is this is when they should have distanced from the source material and used situational awareness to take advantage of their best assets regardless of the comics templates.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

WB should do some trolling and move The Flash to May 12th.

There's so many bigger comedies coming out in June and early July (Strays, No Hard Feelings, Asteroid City, Joy Ride) that I think something would benefit from moving up, but it's too late in the game for a shift like that.

They would have to compete with Book Club though, which obviously is very niche driven, but it's still two comedies coming out the same weekend.

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Even Disney itself is not afraid of Marvel nowadays- releasing the Searchlight movie one week after The Marvels and Wish two weeks after The Marvels.

probably the biggest sign of some studios not afraid to go against Marvel now is Lionsgate releasing the new Hunger Games just one week after The Marvels

• Like 1