Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deadline does not know math continued

Who adds these figures for them? An 18% hold will still put it at 173M, what are they smoking???

An 18% drop from $62M would give it a $51M Sunday for an OW of ~$177M, actually. I don't see that happening, but imagine how fun that would be!

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Fantastic jump for Kong. 170 within reach. @Spaghetti by the Sea

Wasn't there some bet about Beauty OW > Kong total? Could end up being close.

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

An 18% drop from $62M would give it a $51M Sunday for an OW of ~$177M, actually. I don't see that happening, but imagine how fun that would be!

Wasn't there some bet about Beauty OW > Kong total? Could end up being close.

Yes, Spaghetti has to do something if Kong total can outmatch Beauty's OW.

It seems like they're gonna end within 5 million of each other.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Yes, Spaghetti has to do something if Kong total can outmatch Beauty's OW.

It seems like they're gonna end within 5 million of each other.

Oh if only they knew what wonders await them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Oh if only they knew what wonders await them.

I'd spoil it right now if I could (because it's totally fitting here) but I can't spoil the surprise should it come to fruition.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

What the fuck? How did I miss the passing of Robert Osborne. Huge ugh here. Loved that guy. I saw so much of him on TCM that he felt like an awesome, intelligent, fascinating uncle.

RIP, my man. Learned a lot as kid watching TCM from you as a kid. Always comforting to listen to him introduce a classic.

• Like 6

As long as Deadline's Saturday increase is correct Get Out will come (at least) incredibly close to hitting a 4x multiplier by the close of business today. On day 24 and while still making well over $10 million a weekend. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What the fuck? How did I miss the passing of Robert Osborne. Huge ugh here. Loved that guy. I saw so much of him on TCM that he felt like an awesome, intelligent, fascinating uncle.

RIP, my man. Learned a lot as kid watching TCM from you as a kid. Always comforting to listen to him introduce a classic.

Missed that news as well. He was a great host. RIP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Deadline does not know math continued

Who adds these figures for them? An 18% hold will still put it at 173M, what are they smoking???

Great hold for Kong for sure. Logan doing well as well. Get Out continuing its good run.

lol @ Deadline and another good Saturday for Kong. 

Edited by somebody85

So this is easily going to clear a billion.

Just speculating here, but this is more than likely going to have at least a 3X.  Looking at the top ten opening weekends of all time, this will probably come in at around number 7.  Of the current films in the top ten, 6 of them do not have a 3 multiplier.  But looking more closely, you have 5 comic book movies (all sequels) that did not make it, you have DH2, the biggest looniest fanbase out there.  So they all rushed to see it OW.  That leaves TFA, JW, Avengers and TDK.  All had 3X.  I don't see any reason this won't as well.  It's a family film with terrific WOM and although there is a rush factor to it, I think this is the kind of film that families will go to multiple times.  

If this opens to 170, imho, I see it doing about 525 million, or a 3.1X, which is what JW did.  

• Like 15

There are just those movies that are, pardon but, beasts at the box office. I can really only think of 5 or 6 in the past 10 years or so that are just unprecedented, as in Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Avengers, Dark Knight, and now Beauty and the Beast.

These movies aren't just huge, they are just absolute monsters. Everybody pretty much sees these, they strike some sort of chord with the public. Sure, Civil War may have had a bigger OD that BatB, but it's subsequent holds weren't as strong for example. This weekend's number just feel like "next level" if anyone gets what I mean, a level that rarely can be reached by any film. Finding Dory I don't personally think quite reached it; similarly to Rogue One, but they were extremely close. 

What at an event this weekend became.

• Like 3

Beast's flixster score has risen to 86% now, so the lower than expected score is almost certainly the result of certain people giving it low scores out of spite, like what happened with Get Out and Hidden Figures.

51 minutes ago, baumer said:

If this opens to 170, imho, I see it doing about 525 million, or a 3.1X, which is what JW did.  

Or about $540M, topping TDK, if the weekend is closer to $175M. @MrPink