Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

DL says most industry see a 25% Sunday drop from Saturday's 62.8m which would be 47.1m, considerably better than iron man 3's Sunday of 43.0m. I think that is enough to lock in 400m, especially since it looks like nothing will open higher than 40m BatB's 5th weekend whereas IM3 had 50, 70 and 100m openers during its 2nd 3rd and 4th weekends respectively.

In fact I'd give it a very high probability of 450, and at least a 40% chance of 500 if not more.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't know. Their next few holiday seasons are packed, though (Thor, Coco, Star Wars this year; Mulan, Gigantic, Mary Poppins Returns in 2018).

I could see Mulan moving to March 2019, though.

Guy Ritche's Aladdin could probably take Mulan's spot since it starts shooting in the summer. Mulan doesn't have a director yet.

59 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I agree, BVS is a case to be studied for generations, regarding word of mouth. :)

When even Fantastic Four 2015 managed to get a 2x multiplier, it's obvious there's something wrong with BVS in that regard.

Then again, BATB may miss 500 million domestic, despite such huge opening weekend. I mean, 500 million isn't a done deal yet. Movies like Civil War ( 179 million opening ) and Age of Ultron ( 191 million opening ) didn't get 500 million domestic. So, let's see the legs for next weeks and weekends, so we have a better idea.

To be fair, it's easier to have better legs when your OW is in the low double digits.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It does (Niki Caro).

My bad, just went by Wikipedia which doesn't mention a director so I assumed it didn't have it.

Edited by cookie

56 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Remakes aren't exactly a new tool in the Hollywood business model arsenal.

Yes but that business model probably accounts for over 90% of successful tent poles nowadays.

It's been taken to an extreme.

• Like 1

Genie is the only character that doesn't have to be Middle Eastern, I think they should do what they originally intended for the film but was cut but restored for the stage musical which was to make the Genie more of a Fats Waller/Cab Calloway style performer, Jamie Foxx would be really good choice if they went that route as he can sing but also he can be really funny.