Eric is Quiet

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

I'm not sure production budget matter much, the net budget matter more and the net budget was between 75 and 81.25 million (depending of other jurisdiction tax credit and for how much they achieved to sell them), so it achieved to double it (that would need a WBO of 150 to 162.5 to do it) and it doubled it while being domestic heavy (a 1$ domestic at the dbo is worth around 1.3$ intl)

75m that was the planned net budget.

In the case of Mag 7, Sony only put up half of the budget with the rest split between MGM, LStar and Village Roadshow plus they got a distribution fee so even if they lost money, it wasn't much. I suspect MGM and the others lost more.

MGM took a huge hit on Ben Hur whereas Paramount who distributed and financed 20% only lost $13m

2 hours ago, RiffRanger said:

People also tend to not realize that, as of this weekend, Power Rangers has made over $40 million profit for Lionsgate.  If it ends up getting $80-90 million total DOM, that's quite a decent profit for them.  It's far from a disappointing domestic performance.

Slight correction: It's made over $40M in revenue for Lionsgate. Right now it's made about $7.5M profit. A nice goal to hope for is $13M, since that would represent a 10% return, which is what a lot of studios consider the satisfaction threshold.

Edited by johnboy3434

Sony expected to do a 5 to 10 million profit if Mag 7 reached 85 million domestic + 65 million in their foreign territory and if Denzel accepted to not take first dollar gross in exchange for a bigger but after profit share, they probably made the small profit they expected to make when they greenlighted it.

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Slight correction: It's made over $40M in revenue for Lionsgate. Right now it's made just shy of $10M profit. A nice goal to hope for is $13M, since that would represent a 10% return, which is what a lot of studios consider the satisfaction threshold.

The point still stands, though.  The movie will definitely hit that mark for them.

My recap of march movies I have watched: Logan is the best movie I saw in march, great acting, showed you dont need overwrought plots with "save the world" scope to make a good comic book movie, definite A level quality. Life was a decent flick, very derivative but passable entertainment, not much of an impression, but I love sci fi and it was a good B movie with nice production. Kong felt very vapid and hollow with no real focus, it was like stuff just happened and then, "oh heres a giant gorrila!" very generic feeling movie with very cliché characters. Going to watch Ghost in the Shell tonight, hopeful it will be good!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

A question: Let's say Power Rangers pulls out $5.76M for the weekend. Does it have enough gas in the tank to pull in another $5.5M total over the remainder of its theatrical run?

It will probably make another 10M or so depending on how badly it is hit by F8 next weekend.

13 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

A question: Let's say Power Rangers pulls out $5.76M for the weekend. Does it have enough gas in the tank to pull in another $5.5M total over the remainder of its theatrical run?

I'd like to think so.  Hell, it's still selling out showings here in the Cleveland area (six today...Smurfs hasn't managed to sell out one, by the way...) so people are still seeing it.  F8 will cause a huge shift downward across the board next week, so everything is going to slow down as theaters get taken away to accommodate it so it might take the entirety of its remaining time in theaters, but I think it can pull it off.

25 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Yes - it's got pre-Easter and post-Easter spring break...and then discount theater bumps...it won't go way over that, but it should make it.

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i hate this late us release. now i have to endure a second wave of praise for your name. just because people must have lower expectations for cartoons, i guess?

I liked it, but wouldn't call it anything spectacular. Doubt it would have made my top 10 for the year. 

Now, if it had come out 15 years ago, that might be a different story. 

4 hours ago, Momo said:

@YourMother,your lucky he's not around here any more. I still have to deal with Gokira in a different forum. lmao

Has he given any reasons to have stopped coming in here?

1 hour ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

YOUR NAME decimated me. It's phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

I can't stop thinking about Your Name.... I definitely recommend it if you have it around your area. A great experience.

Your Name is definitely the best animation I have seen in years.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

Those of you who like anime what is that appeals to you?  I just can't get over the style.  

Well for me I love anime that has a mix of drama and action. Their are some animes that are romanatic that I can get into. I also love some of the funny ecchi anime.

My top 5 favs:

Sailor Moon

DragonBall Z

Log Horizon

Sword Art Online

I also love Attack of The Titan..

Edited by Momo

4 hours ago, Cookson said:

I can't stop thinking about Your Name.... I definitely recommend it if you have it around your area. A great experience.

Animation...blech