kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

What's also being glossed over in that interview is that apparently WB really wanted to make a franchise out of The Departed that never materialized. Honestly, very happy about that since they could've easily gone ahead and made one without his involvement.

The Studio Wanted Martin Scorsese To Keep A Few Characters Alive For A Departed Sequel (slashfilm.com)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm speaking specifically about the comic book movie comments which tend to be of the negative variety every time they are brought up. And automatically (and annoyingly) overshadow everything else cause that's just how the online discourse machine works.

It's the negative variety to hope audiences nowadays remember other types of genres and movies exist?

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's also being glossed over in that interview is that apparently WB really wanted to make a franchise out of The Departed that never materialized. Honestly, very happy about that since they could've easily gone ahead and made one without his involvement.

The Studio Wanted Martin Scorsese To Keep A Few Characters Alive For A Departed Sequel (slashfilm.com)

the film it's remaking is the first in a trilogy so not really a shock if WB thought they could get three movies out of it. The big difference in the ending between the two is that the Matt Damon/Andy Lau character doesn't die at the end of IA.

I remember Wahlberg really wanted a spinoff for his character too. he brought it up a lot around that time.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the film it's remaking is the first in a trilogy so not really a shock if WB thought they could get three movies out of it. The big difference in the ending between the two is that the Matt Damon/Andy Lau character doesn't die at the end of IA.

I remember Wahlberg really wanted a spinoff for his character too. he brought it up a lot around that time.

What's funny is that the other week Wahlberg revealed in an interview that most of his earlier starring roles were stuff that Leo/Pitt/Cruise passed on and how he was hardly ever anyone's first choice (can you just imagine Leo in Fear, a trash masterpiece largely because Mark gives such an unconvincing performance that's supposed to be menacing). Amusing to think about how sort of awkward it must've been during the production for that movie cause it wouldn't surprise if he also ultimately took on some projects that Damon passed on as well.

Edited by filmlover

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Scorsese also love auteur filmmakers. That is why he praised Avatar 2 as innovative blockbuster during Cannes film festival despite the movie is totally genre.     

He praised Avatar 2 again today during the same QG profile haha. Dude really have NOTHING against popular movies or blockbusters, his problem is with how Hollywood answered to the CBM phenomenon:  destroying everything else while transforming the CBM movies into souless ´´content´´, in a very fordist type of production model. 

“I do think that the manufactured content isn’t really cinema.” He is not a Luddite or a technophobe. He is as excited about Avatar: The Way of Water, about 3D and IMAX and formal and technological experimentation as anyone else. “I’m looking forward to new ways,” he said. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mikeymichael said:

What's the latest on this one's BO potential?

It doesn't have much competition in October. It's Leo and Scorsese. Their most divisive film, Shutter Island, performed well in the US. The subject matter will definitely draw attention domestically. I think the prediction of 100M is kinda low despite the running time. I don't know how it will play overseas, though.

Edited by ThePhasmid

1 hour ago, ThePhasmid said:

It doesn't have much competition in October. It's Leo and Scorsese. Their most divisive film, Shutter Island, performed well in the US. The subject matter will definitely draw attention domestically. I think the prediction of 100M is kinda low despite the running time. I don't know how it will play overseas, though.

It will play fine overseas, Leonardo is a star worldwide. 

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It will play fine overseas, Leonardo is a star worldwide. 

He is internationally recognized, but I wouldn't place him in the same breath as someone like Tom Cruise or even Jason Statham. That's no offense to Leo either. He's a movie star who exists in his own realm these days, and doesn't always choose projects that are fit for mass consumption. I don't see this breaking out overseas. I think it will do better than most predictions assume in the US. At least 150M domestically.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

He is internationally recognized, but I wouldn't place him in the same breath as someone like Tom Cruise or even Jason Statham. That's no offense to Leo either. He's a movie star who exists in his own realm these days, and doesn't always choose projects that are fit for mass consumption. I don't see this breaking out overseas. I think it will do better than most predictions assume in the US. At least 150M domestically.

What? Leo's last 5 movies all made $350-$550m WW. None of them latched onto some super popular IP either. He is the biggest remaining movie star, and Jason Statham isn't in the same universe as him.

25 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

What? Leo's last 5 movies all made $350-$550m WW. None of them latched onto some super popular IP either. He is the biggest remaining movie star, and Jason Statham isn't in the same universe as him.

Ikr. Leonardo has been a huge star since Titanic. He’s arguably bigger than Tom Cruise (imo)  and it’s laughable to even try and put Jason Statham in this discussion. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

He's definitely bigger than Tom Cruise. Tom can get people to see a franchise film but Leo can get people to go to something original and that's way more impressive.

Yes. There is a lot of audience trust there because he’s a great actor and works with quality directors. So people will see anything he is in. 

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Agreed, Tht Stahemis smehow in the same box office draw  universe as Cruise and De Capio is just plain silly,

COme to think of it, Tom Cruise did do a movie with Scorsese back in 1989.."The Color Of Money"

And it was the only sequel Scorsese has ever done..in htis cas e sequel to the 1962 film 'The Hustler" with Paul Newman playing the same leading role of "Fast Eddie".

Leo has turned numerous tough sells into blockbusters while most stars that are considered draws are franchise driven. He doesn't have one genre (lets say action or comedy) that'a his confort zone and sure success. He opened gazillion movies that were risky or wouldn't have done so well without him. He also doesn't depend on the same look to draw audience. Unlike most gym crazu stars, he flaunts dad bod or overgrown beard and disheleved look and still has the same or bigger success. He's a brand that means stamp of quality. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1