NickDisney13

The Spy Who Dumped Me | August 3, 2018 | Lionsgate

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's pretty mediocre. The cast tries their best, and Kate McKinnon has a couple of funny moments, but most of the jokes aren't very funny, and it's got really bad tonal whiplash. The action scenes are fine and are decently shot, but they're surprisingly really intense, gory and gratuitous, which really takes you out of the film. One minute, somebody gets their neck cracked, or they get impaled, or they get shot in the head, then the next minute Kunis and McKinnon are cracking jokes about Minions and vaginas. Wouldn't recommend.

WHAT.THE.FUCK 

:winomg:

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

WHAT.THE.FUCK 

It's actually kinda amazing how weird and out of place the violence is, to the point where it feels like two different movies.

The worst example is near the beginning,

Spoiler

when Sam Heughan is fighting in a cafe, and kills a guy by plunging his head into a pot of fondue. I'm still not sure if that was supposed to be a joke or not.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

28 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's actually kinda amazing how weird and out of place the violence is, to the point where it feels like two different movies.

The worst example is near the beginning,

Hide contents

when Sam Heughan is fighting in a cafe, and kills a guy by plunging his head into a pot of fondue. I'm still not sure if that was supposed to be a joke or not.

Again my response is WHAT.THE.FUCK

I know last year The Hitman's Bodyguard had some tonal shifts but thats because it was originally supposed to be a serious film before Reynolds and Jackson signed on and it became an action comedy. That movie at least promised on their chemistry along with Hayek and in the end thats what really drove the movie so nothing else really mattered. 

This movie just sounds like a big giant mess. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Sounds a bit like Deadpool. :lol:

Seriously, it's not the tonal discord it's the execution that matters and if it's actually funny.

It does sound like Deadpool tbh but I’m guessing they didn’t execute it properly? I’ll be catching it next weekend though so I’ll know for sure lol 

For a movie that’s supposed to be a buddy feature, Kate McKinnon and Mila Kunis barely have any chemistry. Their comedy styles are significantly different where McKinnon is more physical and expressive and Kunis is verbal and can do various deliveries, mostly sarcastic and deadpan. Their styles don’t mesh well together, which results in them looking lost and playing their standard character types. Their interactions with each other rarely seem organic because they’re still playing familiar characters we already know them as. McKinnon’s character (Morgan) is pretty much a variation of McKinnon’s characters from SNL; Kunis’ Audrey is pretty much Jackie from “That 70s Show”. Kunis and McKinnon are hilarious comedic actresses, but they don’t have the comedic chemistry to carry the feature, for it seems that they’re just battling each other to mug at the screen. Because of their dynamic not being fully convincing, a lot of the supposed highlighted scenes of comedy fall flat.

They share fun moments together whenever McKinnon is not going over the top or has to friggin AD LIB ALL THE TIME. Mila Kunis is mostly carrying the movie for her character has a decently written arc where the film centers on Audrey finding her independence. It’s a nice message the film tries to convey, even though IT TOOK 2 FRIGGIN' HOURS TO GET THERE. Plus, Paul Feig did it better with “Spy”.

FULL REVIEW: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//the-spy-who-dumped-me-review

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, TombRaider said:

After this, rough night and ghostbusters it's safe to say kate mckinnon is UNWANTED by movie goers

I said the same thing in the weekend thread.  She just seems way too over the top.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, That One Guy said:

This will be the comedy breakout of the summer

On 3/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, marveldcfox said:

A Mila Kunis comedy vehicle in the summer is a guaranteed smash hit. 2018 will be ruled by comedies.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:30 PM, That One Guy said:

This will make a shit ton of money.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:41 PM, StevenG said:

This year's Girls Trip/Bad Moms.

Looks like a big crowd-pleasing winner.

27-30 OW/125-130 million total

On 5/10/2018 at 9:33 PM, MovieMan89 said:

This will do very well. Especially coming right off the heels of the testosterone fueled onslaught of July action films. 

On 6/7/2018 at 11:48 AM, Alli said:

I see a surprise performance her. 80M domestic. I wouldn't be surprised if it does more

Domestic:  $31,053,317

:sparta:

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:31 PM, grim22 said:

🤔

This is actually true!

There were two jumps, executed by the two main actors, which even Tom Cruise would not brave. Really makes you wonder how they did that. While the movie lasted I was almost convinced that the two actors were actually professional stuntmen - and I still have no other explanation.