kayumanggi

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR | 1369.5 M overseas ● 2048.4 M worldwide

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

If it does somehow pull it off (fat chance), then A2 will just come in another 18 months and crush what ever the current record is.

Did you know that when Avatar ($2.78b) came out, the next highest grossing non-Jim film was $1.1b? Titanic was double the second highest grossing film at the time of it's release also.

If that would happen this time (:lol:) Avatar 2 would gross (If IW A4 and TLK don't over take TFA) $5.1B:hahaha: That would be crazy. For that to happen it would need 1.4B in China and 1.1B in the USA so the rest of the world would gross 2.6B. Can't really imagine that, but on the other hand vor Avatar they grossed nearly 1.8B :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

If that would happen this time (:lol:) Avatar 2 would gross (If IW A4 and TLK don't over take TFA) $5.1B:hahaha: That would be crazy. For that to happen it would need 1.4B in China and 1.1B in the USA so the rest of the world would gross 2.6B. Can't really imagine that, but on the other hand vor Avatar they grossed nearly 1.8B :lol:

Now that was just jokes about the 2.5x multi but...

If Avatar 2 is to become the highest grossing film in America, I think that puts it odds on for $4b total. I think China can match DOM and then easily gross the 2b needed for the rest.

All I'm saying is that if Avatar 2 becomes the highest grossing domestic film of all time (like Avatar and Titanic before it), it's going to make gang busters overseas.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Now that was just jokes about the 2.5x multi but...

If Avatar 2 is to become the highest grossing film in America, I think that puts it odds on for $4b total. I think China can match DOM and then easily gross the 2b needed for the rest.

All I'm saying is that if Avatar 2 becomes the highest grossing domestic film of all time (like Avatar and Titanic before it), it's going to make gang busters overseas.

The problem is avatar will drop big time in Europe. France will do 70m less, Germany will do 60m less 5m less from greece.  Italy -45m, Spain -60m Netherlands -7m. To name a few. That is already -247m dollars. So that could make a dent.

1 hour ago, Juby said:

Sly was a huuuge star in Poland in 90s when VHS market was in its prime. :) Also, I like his Dredd, better than the new one with Carl Urban. :ph34r:

Definately much closer to the source than the much hyped Urban one, which was Dredd only by name.

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

The problem is avatar will drop big time in Europe. France will do 70m less, Germany will do 60m less 5m less from greece.  Italy -45m, Spain -60m Netherlands -7m. To name a few. That is already -247m dollars. So that could make a dent.

Market growths more than make up for the change in XR rate, Avatar grossed $200m in China which was the highest grossing film there at the time by far

For goodness sakes. Unless they introduce a new exciting way to watch movies with the next Avatar it will be lucky to make 1B WW.  The 3rd and 4th...maybe Ant-Man numbers.

And are whole pages of this non-Avatar going to continue to be entirely about Avatar for some reason?? 

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Market growths more than make up for the change in XR rate, Avatar grossed $200m in China which was the highest grossing film there at the time by far

No i mean they won't reach that again in europe, not even come close in admission to the first avatar. + 3D is death in europe. So inflation is alot smaller. For your China argument look at SH movies from 2013-2014 they still made the same today. And Konfu panda 1 - 2 were huge, so freaking big in china for the time (not avatar big that was insane) but the 3rd didn't do that wel. I mean avatar could go 1B but it might as well be stuck at 400m. I am not saying it will but there is a chance. 

20 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

For goodness sakes. Unless they introduce a new exciting way to watch movies with the next Avatar it will be lucky to make 1B WW.  The 3rd and 4th...maybe Ant-Man numbers.

And are whole pages of this non-Avatar going to continue to be entirely about Avatar for some reason?? 

Avatar being relevant is a testament to Infinty War's success, also are you trying to troll me with that $1B WW line or is that your actual prediction?

13 minutes ago, pepsa said:

No i mean they won't reach that again in europe, not even come close in admission to the first avatar. + 3D is death in europe. So inflation is alot smaller. For your China argument look at SH movies from 2013-2014 they still made the same today. And Konfu panda 1 - 2 were huge, so freaking big in china for the time (not avatar big that was insane) but the 3rd didn't do that wel. I mean avatar could go 1B but it might as well be stuck at 400m. I am not saying it will but there is a chance. 

Are you giving your opinion on Europe's potential Avatar 2 attendance or are you saying those Euro markets have decreased in size/attendance?

ec57d1e7-7034-215d-4d41-f1f502123599?t=1

total cinema attendance in Europe in millions.

Edit

Edited by IronJimbo

2 hours ago, peludo said:

That film was Return of the King:

6 years of inflation and beginning of expansion of many markets in favor of Avatar.

ROTK did not have 3D.

ROTK did not have China (it grossed $10m there).

And something that always is forgotten: Avatar had, by far, the most favorable exchange rates ever.

I guess you are joking about Avatar 2 repeating proportionally the same success than Avatar relative to ROTK.

In this case the biggest non Cameron film by December 2020 should be Avengers 4 or Lion King. Many conditions that will not be repeated unless dollar suddenly collapses or inflation becomes crazy between 2019 and 2020 everywhere.

The dollar is in a long-term declining trend. Looking at the charts, it's not hugely unlikely that a new cyclical USD low will form around 2020. 

http://www.macrotrends.net/1329/us-dollar-index-historical-chart

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Russia will also see a massive decrease in $$$ terms. Maybe also UK, Australia & Japan ($150M, $106M, $172M respectively) 

• Like 1

I wonder how big the positive effect will Infinity War's (and hopefully Avengers 4) OS gross will have on the OS Grosses on the next couple of MCU films like the Spider-Man sequel and GOTG Vol 3 (Vol 2 slightly disappointed OS IMO). 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I wonder how big the positive effect will Infinity War's (and hopefully Avengers 4) OS gross will have on the OS Grosses on the next couple of MCU films like the Spider-Man sequel and GOTG Vol 3 (Vol 2 slightly disappointed OS IMO). 

I think IW will help more Captain Marvel than Ant man & wasp 

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

TA success already did that solo films could explode. Both Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 doubled its previous grosses OS.

On the other side, sequels through Ultron did not have that jump. As you well say, Guardians 2 is the most disappointing run (if $474m OS can be called a disappointment) in relation with its predecessor.

Taking into account that IW is TA all over again, Ant-Man 2 could jump a lot.