grim22

BOT: THE REVISITING -- TOP 25 of 2012 | accursed Nolanites are triumphant again

Spoiler

The Hunger Games

written by: Suzanne Collins, Gary Ross and Billy Ray

directed by: Gary Ross

starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland

HungerGamesPoster.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 5

IMDB synopsis: Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games: a televised competition in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to fight to the death.

The Hunger Games series came out of Collins' fascination with reality television programs. She says they are like The Hunger Games because the Games are not just entertainment but also a reminder to the districts of their rebellion. On a tired night, Collins says that while she was channel-surfing the television, she saw people competing for some prize and then saw footage of the Iraq war. She described how the two combined in an "unsettling way" to create her first ideas for the series.

Color Force, an independent studio founded by producer Nina Jacobson, bought the film rights to the book. Jacobson then sought out production company Lionsgate to help her produce the film. Jennifer Lawrence beat out plenty of young actresses including Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, and Chloë Grace Moretz to get the part of Katniss Everdeen.

Tomato meter: 84% with 7.2 average

Academy Awards: 0 nominations, 0 wins.

Random critic comment: “A blockbuster that has something to say about the world we could be living in. Unlike Twilight, this film actually has a deeper and more important philosophical meaning.” – Wesley Lowell, CinemaSight

Random RTM comment: My favourite scene was the one where the games began, when the camera was going crazy and there was like, no sound. It felt really brutal without showing much. I haven't really liked any of Gary Ross's prior work but I thought that was an astounding scene. –  @CoolioD1

• Like 12

Wow that's a lot higher than I expected. The Hunger Games stans put their work into this.

Edited by aabattery
also it is horrifically overrated good job BOT dont @ me
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Wow that's a lot higher than I expected. The Hunger Games stans put their work into this.

You're right about them putting work into this, I just saw that it was the 1st on 5 lists lol

And no, it's not overrated, its placement actually feels pretty good for its influence that year. I wouldn't complain about it if it came anywhere between top5 and top15(as it did) as it's an important blockbuster imho.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

Spoiler

21 Jump Street

written by: Michael Bacall, Jonah Hill Based on 21 Jump Street by Patrick Hasburgh and Stephen J. Cannell

directed by: Phil Lord and Chris Miller

starring: Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill

21-jump-street-poster__span.jpg 

Number of first-place votes: 0

IMDB synopsis: A pair of underachieving cops are sent back to a local high school to blend in and bring down a synthetic drug ring.

A movie which was written off by most people prior to release because of it being an adaptation of a not especially popular TV show, and starring Channing Tatum who up until this point was best known for GI Joe and Step Up. Jonah Hill wrote the screenplay and also lost 40 pounds for the role. This turned out to be a sleeper hit in 2012 and spawned a bigger sequel and potentially a crossover with Men In Black.

Tomato meter: 85%, avg score 7.2

Academy Awards: 0 nominations, 0 wins

Random critic comment: The late-eighties TV series is rebooted with jolts of sentiment, personal discovery, and wild comedy. – Richard Brody, The New Yorker

Random RTM comment:

I got exactly what I wanted from this.

It was pretty funny during the whole time, (there were so many good moments in here) and it even manages to avoid being predictable some of the time. Tatum and Hill were absolutely awesome together, and Ice Cube was an absolute riot as the "angry black captain." - @Spaghetti of 1000 Planets

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You're right about them putting work into this, I just saw that it was the 1st on 5 lists lol

And no, it's not overrated, its placement actually feels pretty good for its influence that year. I wouldn't complain about it if it came anywhere between top5 and top15(as it did) as it's an important blockbuster imho.

Eh. Personally thought it was pretty terrible through and through.

Only redeeming features were Jennifer Lawrence who did a decent job and :ohmygod:. The rest was forgettable to bad. But hey, opinions. I've never watched any of them past the first so I can't really say much on those. Never felt particularly influential to me.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 2

Spoiler

Wreck-It Ralph

Screenplay by  Phil Johnston and Jennifer Lee

Story by  Rich Moore, Phil Johnston, Jim Reardon

directed by: Rich Moore

starring: John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer, Jane Lynch

latest?cb=20140317004919

IMDB synopsis: A video game villain wants to be a hero and sets out to fulfill his dream, but his quest brings havoc to the whole arcade where he lives.

The “Who framed Roger Rabbit” of video game movies, Wreck-It Ralph dealt with original characters while throwing in references and cameos by a number of well known video game characters. The concept for the movie was first developed in the 1980s but took till 2012 to make it to the big screen. A fun ride which includes almost every video game trope and reference the creators could think of, WiR remains a favorite among fans online.

Tomato meter: 86%, avg rating 7.5

Academy Awards: 1 nomination, 0 wins

Random critic comment: Wreck-It Ralph is one of those rare movies that's fun for a revisit yet is peppered with enough hidden references to make the rewatch worthwhile. After a second viewing this weekend, I still walked away impressed. – Monica Castillo, Bitch Media

Random RTM comment:

Simple review:

A-

Awesome movie. Character development was good, loved the story and animation. Jokes were hilarious, voice acting was great (especially John C. Reiliy as Wreck-It Ralph). – @Alpha

• Like 11

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Wreck-It Ralph

Screenplay by  Phil Johnston and Jennifer Lee

Story by  Rich Moore, Phil Johnston, Jim Reardon

directed by: Rich Moore

starring: John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer, Jane Lynch

latest?cb=20140317004919

IMDB synopsis: A video game villain wants to be a hero and sets out to fulfill his dream, but his quest brings havoc to the whole arcade where he lives.

The “Who framed Roger Rabbit” of video game movies, Wreck-It Ralph dealt with original characters while throwing in references and cameos by a number of well known video game characters. The concept for the movie was first developed in the 1980s but took till 2012 to make it to the big screen. A fun ride which includes almost every video game trope and reference the creators could think of, WiR remains a favorite among fans online.

Tomato meter: 86%, avg rating 7.5

Academy Awards: 1 nomination, 0 wins

Random critic comment: Wreck-It Ralph is one of those rare movies that's fun for a revisit yet is peppered with enough hidden references to make the rewatch worthwhile. After a second viewing this weekend, I still walked away impressed. – Monica Castillo, Bitch Media

Random RTM comment:

Simple review:

A-

Awesome movie. Character development was good, loved the story and animation. Jokes were hilarious, voice acting was great (especially John C. Reiliy as Wreck-It Ralph). – @Alpha

Meh 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Argo

written by: Chris Terrio. Based on The Master of Disguise by Antonio J. Mendez and "The Great Escape" by Joshuah Bearman

directed by: Ben Affleck

starring: Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston 

argo_ipad.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 1

IMDB synopsis: Acting under the cover of a Hollywood producer scouting a location for a science fiction film, a CIA agent launches a dangerous operation to rescue six Americans in Tehran during the U.S. hostage crisis in Iran in 1980.

The 2012 Best Picture winner features the dramatized story of an almost unbelievable real life mission to save the US embassy staff from Iran during the Islamic revolution. The movie features great performances by literally the entire cast and it is also one of the few movies to involved the CIA in production. According to Tony Mendez, Studio Six—the phony Hollywood production office he helped create at the core of the CIA plan—proved so convincing that even weeks after the rescue was complete and the office had folded, 26 scripts were delivered to its address, including one from Steven Spielberg

Tomato meter: 96%, avg score 8.4

Academy Awards: 7 nominations, 3 wins

Random critic comment: The emotional catharsis of Argo isn't what happens onscreen, but the sheer knowledge that the creaky old moviemaking system has put together something this crowd-pleasing and great. – Katey Rich, Cinemablend

Random RTM comment: I thought it was about as perfect as you can get. A+ - @baumer

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Yes, THG seems crazy high to me. But it's clear it had a small but extremely dedicated fanbase that had it at or near the top of all their lists.

I absolutely understand why it's there, and I commend their dedication.

But from my point of view it shouldn't even be on the list, let alone in the top 10.

Especially when Boy isn't even on the list fuck y'all.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Skyfall

written by: Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and John Logan based on James Bond created by Ian Fleming

directed by: Sam Mendes

starring: Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Judi Dench

Skyfall_poster.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 1

IMDB synopsis: Bond's loyalty to M is tested when her past comes back to haunt her. Whilst MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.

Bond’s 50th anniversary was celebrated in a big way by Skyfall. The movie itself is considered top-tier Bond now, especially the performance by Bardem as Silva. The marketing campaign for the movie was everywhere in 2012, including a high profile visibility event like The Olympics where Bond appeared alongside the Queen of England. The movie basically reset the Bond mythos at the end and brought it full circle and got us primed for future adventures (until Spectre came along). Special mention must be made of Roger Deakins who made the movie look amazing. In addition, Adele also won Best Song at the Oscars for the title track.

Tomato meter: 93%, avg rating 8.2

Academy Awards: 5 nominations, 2 wins

Random critic comment: Skyfall has fun playing with Bond's image, but the producers are wary of being too revisionistic. In fact, the film is good because it's such a stirring affirmation of the things 007 films have always done well. – Edward Lawrenson, The Big Issue

Random RTM comment: One of the best Bond movies ever created. A – @Water Bottle

• Like 13

51-65

51 Barbara
52 Killing Them Softly
53 Men in black 3
54 Compliance
55 Hope Springs
56 Place Beyond the Pines
57 The Turin Horse
58 Side By Side
59 The Amazing Spider-Man
60 Bernie
61 Beyond the Black Rainbow
62 Ruby Sparks
63 American Reunion
64 Kill List

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Hope Springs and Turin Horse are the lowest placed movies to get at least 1 #1 spot on a list.

• Like 9